First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Chopping a top???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'm sorry but I can't really notice enough difference so I say it was wasted effort. If you have to let people know what you did why bother?
Old 05-27-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Chopping an xB ruins the whole look. It's almost as bad as making a convertible out of it. Spend the money on good looking mods instead!!!
ok, in case you didnt read above, i said no negative comments, if you are gonna dismiss my ideas just bugger off ok??? as for other xB's with chopped tops, im sure youve all seen the 5axis xB (the orange rolling DJ booth) that has a 4 inch chop, im looking to do a 6 with most likely a widebody kit as well
Old 05-27-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is how to incite a thread riot:

Originally Posted by Neo_Bahamut_19
Chopping an xB ruins the whole look. It's almost as bad as making a convertible out of it. Spend the money on good looking mods instead!!!
ok, in case you didnt read above, i said no negative comments, if you are gonna dismiss my ideas just bugger off ok???
Old 05-27-2007, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

OK, in case you didn't read above, i said no negative comments, if you are gonna dismiss my ideas just bugger off ok??? as for other xB's with chopped tops, I'm sure you've all seen the 5axis xB (the orange rolling DJ booth) that has a 4 inch chop, I'm looking to do a 6 with most likely a wide body kit as well
No offence meant. Was just stating my opinion but what do I know?
If you want to spend money to remove one of the nice parts (lots of head room) of the xB, have at it. That is the nice part of living in the USA.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any minute now...
Old 05-27-2007, 05:10 AM
SL Member

What exactly does a thread riot look like anyway?...

I have always thought that the greenhouse was a little tall. It will take an a$$load of cash to do right though. I wish when I was 19 I could have said "if it costs 10,000... oh well, im willing... so long as it gets done,". Of course I spent a lot of time saying "hey man can we buy half the bag for $25.00". Ahhh the early 90's...
Old 05-27-2007, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh, if your wondering about the headroom, when it is done, the seats will be dropped down on the floor, lol, so i already calculated that you will still have good headroom when done, and if your a giant then just put the sunroof up and sit in the front, lol (when its done of course) but objecting to someones thoughts should be done carefully, make sure that you clearly explain all the reasons that you object, dont just say that you object because its a waste ;) thats a good way to get someone ticked off as well, btw, yes i am 19, money is not important to it even though im not rich, i just try to enjoy my life to the fullest, all i need is my car to customize, my PC games to play and my friends to hang out with, providing i have at least just enough money to do so, i dont think like the other people my age, and that is the first thing you would notice about me if you met me in person

PS: ive seen thread riots, and i think its hilarious to incite them on forums that you really dont care for, unfortunately i care too much for my gaming clans forums as well as these forums and the fpsbanana.com forums, so all you other forum owners out there... WATCH OUT!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

oh, if your wondering about the headroom, when it is done, the seats will be dropped down on the floor, lol, so i already calculated that you will still have good headroom when done, and if your a giant then just put the sunroof up and sit in the front, lol (when its done of course) but objecting to someones thoughts should be done carefully, make sure that you clearly explain all the reasons that you object, dont just say that you object because its a waste ;) thats a good way to get someone ticked off as well
Oh so you are ending up ruining the leg room and ease of getting in and out. Got ya
BTW I said it was a waste because it will ruin the over all look with the roof height gone. But this is my opinion and others I'm sure.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

some people think that, but then again, it will not be an every day driver, and for a short, pale, and pasty irish boy like myself (only 5'8" on a good day) thats not all that much of a problem, once its all said and done the car will most likely be a "trailer B1+(h" but nah, im not worried, but dont you think having seat warmers and back massagers will counteract that (when done also) lol, thats going to be one of the first things i tear into when i get the outside done is to reupholster the seats and have thicker padding put in with the seat warmers and massagers built into the seats XD
Old 05-27-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

What is the purpose of this thread? Why post that you plan to do this to your car if you're just gonna get mad try to shoot down peoples comments? Do you just want everyone to kiss your @ss and tell you that you have the best ideas ever? Not everyone is ******* your ideas. Some people may just be curious as to how you plan to tackle different task, others may want to offer suggestions. My point is that the whole purpose of a forum is not just to post for reconition but for suggestions and comments as well. If that is something you don't want then either don't post or state that you aren't looking for suggestions. As you've stated, you're 19, so what?! You snap back at everyone like you're 12. Get over yourself, If you want to be treated like a big man act like one.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you obviously did not read the entire comment i left, if it is negative dont just post that its a waste, tell me why exactly it is a waste, thats kind of like saying a candidate for the presidency sucks w/o having some kind of background as to why you think so... and i only snap when i get aggitated by people that just come on and say "your idea sucks" and leaves w/o telling me why it "sucks" and to get back to the old question, i asked first of all:

1: How much it will cost roughly (this is to come from someone that most likely knows who might have been involved, or known someone that has had a chopped top done b4)

2: If I would need another scion xB roof to do it..

i found out the answer for the second one, and that is no, now i just need to get an approximate ammount of how much its going to cost to get it done...

PS: I run a website and forums and we ALL know forum etiquette... and one of those is not leaving an "empty objection" to a topic, if you dont like something, explain your reasons as to why, dont just come into the topic, say you hate it, and then leave, doesnt truely tell us anything other than that you hate the idea/topic/individual/ect...
Old 05-27-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

Old 05-27-2007, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't wait to see where this goes. I can't afford to do it so i love to hear of other people doing things i wish i could...

and... even though he isn't, whats wrong with being rich?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nothing wrong with being rich, lol, wish i was, and oh ha ha ha he he he BSB, got anything better to do than cry/laugh/go nutz???
Old 05-27-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are 2 different widebody kits, what one were you considering?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The AIT K1 Racing Wide Body Kit

http://www.aitracing.com/shop/index....roducts_id=999

btw, nice box, very clean cut
Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, if you are asking how much it will cost and then say "I don't care if it costs $10,000.", then why ask?

Second, if you don't know whether you need another roof, you should rethink whether you can do this or not. You said you already talked to a 'professional'...he SHOULD have said whether you need another roof or not...why not ask him instead of asking over and over on here! You aren't getting the answers you need on here, so GO BACK TO THE PRO! I would get another one JUST IN CASE!

Third, you mentioned an 'ALUMINUM' roll cage...I just have to laugh at that one. You stated 'several drag racers in your area...' are running these....I have news for you...There is NO WAY they are running an ALUMINUM roll cage and you will NEVER get ANYONE to make one for you. Aluminum is a VERY LOW tensile strength and nobody would build one that was to do ANY kind of structural work. I am not getting on you about this, but just a warning that you WILL DIE if you try to use an aluminum one to save your life or use it to strengthen the body.

I think the chopped idea would look GREAT if done right and the xB has a lot of straight up and down pillar posts, but I would stop asking on here for help and just stick to asking the people who do this stuff for a living.

Good luck with it and can't wait for photos!

PS...I work next to Roy Brizio Street Rods (One of the top builders in the world) and I could take my car over there and ask him how much to do a 6" chop, whether there will be a need for another 'donor' roof, cost of roll cage, etc. Just let me know if you want this info!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If you chop it that much you will need another piece of roof material unless you rake the A pillars back which won't look right IMHO.
I'd extend the front roof in the ribbed portion and keep the A pillar at the stock angle. It will also make matching the door pillars easier.

Sounds very expensive unless you can find some one that is looking for a challenge and will give you a price break.

Good luck and sorry if I sound like a smart butt. I had no idea this wasn't going to still be driven daily. That changes alot. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and do post up picks when finished!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the aluminum rollcage is merely for looks, brushed or polished (i have yet to decide which) aluminum, its not going to be a drag car, and it would look better than steel, that is why i said aluminum, im not crazy about steel, and i dont wanna weigh down the car more than needed, the rollcage is merely there for looks! and yes, i talked to someone who had theirs DONE by a professional, sorry if i said wrong, but he had it done by a professional, but that guy is all the way down in georgia... so yeah, unless you got the gas money i am not driving down there to get a estimate, lol (just messing with ya about that one), and as for the info that you offered to provide, that would greatly help with getting a ballpark estimate, it would be very much appreciated and also, along with the rollcage, believe it or not, due to the fact that the pillars would be shorter (heres where common sense comes in place for all those that dont have it... j/k to everyone disagreeing with me lol) the sides would be stronger, not the roof, mabe slightly with the rollcage, but like I said, just for looks... and as for the A pillars... thats what im wondering, if it will be cooler to pull em back and make it look more sleek, or try to extend the roof and keep the boxy look... thats a hard decision... and amazingly, it will probably be more gas efficient on the highway with the roof dropped and the A pillars pulled back further

PS: the drag racers i was referring to are NOT running aluminum roll cages... i was stating the fact that they merely had them... lol so laugh if you want, for you took my word wrong, i just got the rollcage idea from them, thought it would be an easy way to take care of the pillars plastic trim problem that I would have and it could easily be incorperated into the overall design of the car, which is supposed to take it and make it look lower, wider, and overall faster, when in actuallity it is not.. bc if i wanted a fast car id go with some american muscle... lol (chevy man at heart)
Old 05-27-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

But the efficient part won't matter because it will be a trailer queen. It may make it easier to tow on the trailer tho! Less wind resistance. Unless you plan an enclose trailer then the point it mute. LOL

I personally think it would look better with the pillars lft close to stock, just shorter. It will also make the chop less labor intensive if that is possible???

Quick Reply: Chopping a top???