First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Chopping a top???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I don't mean to burst your bubble on the subject, but while chopping the top IS POSSIBLE, there is a reason why no one has done it other than 5 axis. The stumbling block is the windshield. Tempered glass cannot be cut and our windshields have a compound curve, meaning they curve on more than one axis.

The only reason 5 axis could do it, is because they have the capasity to make their own glass. It is possible to have a 1 off windshield made for this project, I should know, I asked them. At a cost of $10K you can get a custom windshield made for whatever chop you desire. Also, a roll cage is not going to help your stability problems once you do cut the top. You need to reinforce the body as you cut the top, from the inside, with bracing, unless you plan to weld the cage to the various points in the vehicle.

Like others have said, it is possible, but no where near cost effective, once done and several thousands of dollars later, yes you will be the only privately owned Scion with a chop top worth $30K only to be laughed at by the hot rod guys that do it daily to their led sleds for 1/10 the cost. There are better and more creative ways to invest that type of money in order to make your box unique ... trust me. I'd say, start on the glass roof, I'm almost there ...

Here is a pic of my roof ...

I'll be the first to encourage originality, however at the cost of your sanity I'll tell you to stay away from that particular mod.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

It's the Jurassic Park roof! Nice!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The winshield is the only glass that CAN be cut to the new top. It is laminate and not tempered like the rest. As far as the cage goes, I was thinking of it being used to strengthen by tying it in at several points in the car. Your roof looks cool, but I would be scared of flexing without the bracing being reattached that are cut out on your photo. You have some good points though!
Old 06-03-2007, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it also depends on who you go to, to cost 30,000 to chop a roof is rediculous, i seriously think that that is BS, if it costs that much then... well... yeah, someone needs to get their head checked, were talking about chopping a section out of a roof, not building an entire damn car, for that price I could buy 2 xB's... x rayted checked it out and came out with a more realistic price, and my buddy knows someone that has had a few cars go into some rather well known hot rod magazines, and ALL of the cars he has and has worked on he has chopped the roof on, and my buddy said I could probably get a price btwn 6,000 and 10,000 MAX, so its not that bad, and I am also reconsidering the 6 inch drop, I think I'm going to go with a 4 inch instead, make it a little more stable but still get the lower look, but yeah, you are insane for saying 30,000 man, lol idk where you had that price come from, but in case you didnt read ALL the posts, someone posted a pic of one that they saw with a 4 inch chop BESIDES the 5 axis one, I personally think this car has a great body for doing such a mod since it still flows with the body of the car when its all said and done and as for your glass roof... now I know what mine is going to be like, but im running mine from behind the b-pillar to the back, and then a sunroof up front
Old 06-03-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 2 cents worth. As an old fart, the first time I saw a box I visualized a Model A sedan with a chopped top, louvered hood and rake! You have gotten some sound advice concerning structural integrity, etc. My advice to you is do some research about hot rod clubs in your state and even general east coast area. Look for the old school coupes & sedans & contact them with your questions about chopping the top. Now these guys are prob going to be in their 60s, but we all love to talk about our cars and help keep the hobby alive. You will get some sound advice based on experience! You may well find some guy looking for a winter project. And why waste $$ on a paint job when gray primer is sooo bad a@@? LOL Oh, and trust me on this one, don't kid yourself into thinking it will be a trailer queen! Might as well plan on it being street driven from the git go!!!!! Its not realistic or cost effective to limit yourself that way.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz
I don't mean to burst your bubble on the subject, but while chopping the top IS POSSIBLE, there is a reason why no one has done it other than 5 axis. The stumbling block is the windshield. Tempered glass cannot be cut and our windshields have a compound curve, meaning they curve on more than one axis.

The only reason 5 axis could do it, is because they have the capasity to make their own glass. It is possible to have a 1 off windshield made for this project, I should know, I asked them. At a cost of $10K you can get a custom windshield made for whatever chop you desire. Also, a roll cage is not going to help your stability problems once you do cut the top. You need to reinforce the body as you cut the top, from the inside, with bracing, unless you plan to weld the cage to the various points in the vehicle.

Like others have said, it is possible, but no where near cost effective, once done and several thousands of dollars later, yes you will be the only privately owned Scion with a chop top worth $30K only to be laughed at by the hot rod guys that do it daily to their led sleds for 1/10 the cost. There are better and more creative ways to invest that type of money in order to make your box unique ... trust me. I'd say, start on the glass roof, I'm almost there ...

Here is a pic of my roof ...

I'll be the first to encourage originality, however at the cost of your sanity I'll tell you to stay away from that particular mod.
I figured custom windshields would be expensive, but DAYUM 10K...Imagine a flying rock damaging your fresh new 10K custom windshield! BTW, I love your glass roof...
Old 06-03-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

sucide doors and a chop top would look badass!......good luck...and give it a old 30's look to it....always been a mod I would love on my car but no $$$ or wife-approval to get it done.......

good advice up above....get with a hotrod club...I don't think this is out of reach ....as far as a windshield...who says you have to use the scion xb windshield? start doing tons of RESEARCH!!! with thousands of different cars out ther I'm sure you could find something that will work...

I KNOW I seen a guy on here with a chop top....

here's a pic of what it could kinda look like...granted this is a suzuki:

chopped...but they left the top at home:

[/quote]

the 5 axis:

Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you guys missed something in my posts....The boys at Brizio's said you CAN use the winshield....it is the only piece that CAN be re-used! It just needs to be cut to fit...the glass problem comes in when getting the reast of the glass cut...but as mentioned, with as straight up and down as the car is, with lack of curve, you can get away with flat glass for the sides and back...which will save a TON of money.

BTW, if you haven't heard of Brizio, look his website up at roybriziostreetrods.com. They do some of the best work in the world and know what they are talking about and know what they are doing. Of course, the modest $10,000 estimate is a little steep and I feel it can be done for less (a lot less), I would go to him or someone of his scale to ensure it was done correctly.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another idea. Gut the interior and find an old gear head who is teaching auto shop in high school or a technical school. They are always looking for an interesting project for the students to work on. Chopping a top is not rocket science! I've seen the basics (cuts and welds) done in a couple of hours plenty of times. The secret, which applies to everything, comes from knowing where and how to measure accurately. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we got a bunch of old hot rodders around here, i live near Carlisle, PA just to let yall know, thats a BIG hot rod show, same with the Tuner Wars over in Harrisburg PA and we have at least 2 shows going on every weekend within an hour of my house, lol, so I'm sure I can find someone, as a matter of a fact my bud kenny who has a 37 chevy that I'll post a pic or 2 of up in this post knows a guy whos had several hot rods in some well known magazines, and ALL of the cars hes done as I have said b4 have been chopped, kenny said I could probably get it done for 5k or 6K! which really isnt much, and im just going to go with a 4 inch, and whoever said the glass cant be cut, make sure your research is correct, lol, not to get on ur case and all, but most auto glass can be cut, and actually some windows wont need cut, mainly any window that does not go up or down, which is the windshield, rear window, and the 4 small back side windows, the 4 windows the roll down however do NOT need to be cut normally so long as the chop is done right

And here is a pic of my bud kennys 37 chevy, hes got a lot to do to it still, but it looks pretty sweet

and check the images on my myspace if ya wanna see pix from some of the car shows around here www.myspace.com/zerocomplex
Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A nice example of a mild chop!
Some References
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...ebox_cut_roof/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...marterbooks-20
Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 AM
SL Member

I found this one on google.

hehe.

this one too
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Love um!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

both of those look sweet the jacked up ones always look like those kinetic monster trucks I used to get when I was a little kid that you would push and their lil motor would keep em going for what seemed like forever, lol, and thanks for all the info guys
Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First thing is why do this to a 2006 in perfect condition....... sell your current xb. take the money and buy the cheapest repairable you can find. The difference in money will be there to kickstart the build.

I have mentioned on other sites that if I could get the CAD models of the xb I could easily design the car with desired chop. It would also give dimensions of the glass and I could run a simulation to find out where the unibody needs to be reinforced.

The roofless xb in the photos welded the rear hatch shut to limit bodyflex.

This can be done but I would only do it to a repairable. If it does not work you are only out a few thousand and could lower that number parting it out. My last Jeep project I bought the drivetrain from a guy that just paid off his 2004 Wrangler. He was cutting it up, lengthening the frame and other mods to run 48" tires. All I could think is why didn't he sell the paid off Jeep and build the new one from parts.

Hey what do I know.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ogerdgonz
First thing is why do this to a 2006 in perfect condition....... sell your current xb. take the money and buy the cheapest repairable you can find. The difference in money will be there to kickstart the build.

I have mentioned on other sites that if I could get the CAD models of the xb I could easily design the car with desired chop. It would also give dimensions of the glass and I could run a simulation to find out where the unibody needs to be reinforced.

The roofless xb in the photos welded the rear hatch shut to limit bodyflex.

This can be done but I would only do it to a repairable. If it does not work you are only out a few thousand and could lower that number parting it out. My last Jeep project I bought the drivetrain from a guy that just paid off his 2004 Wrangler. He was cutting it up, lengthening the frame and other mods to run 48" tires. All I could think is why didn't he sell the paid off Jeep and build the new one from parts.
Hey what do I know.

Very valid point!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

id rather do it to my current one, i bought it with the plans of doing this in the first place, i wanted a BRAND NEW XB so that i know what has been done to it, how its been drivin and i feel as though it has and always will be 100% mine (i am keeping this till the day i die, no WOMAN will ever take it away from me, rofl) i do not like driving used cars, i just dont feel secure bc i dont know what they may have done to the car that i am now driving ;) get my point?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Neo_Bahamut_19
id rather do it to my current one, i bought it with the plans of doing this in the first place, i wanted a BRAND NEW XB so that i know what has been done to it, how its been drivin and i feel as though it has and always will be 100% mine (i am keeping this till the day i die, no WOMAN will ever take it away from me, rofl) i do not like driving used cars, i just dont feel secure bc i dont know what they may have done to the car that i am now driving ;) get my point?
Then I suggest you find the ugliest woman on the planet whose daddy has more money than god!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh ha ha ha ha ha