Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Clutch and Idle issues

[quote="eric-prk"]
Originally Posted by vintage42
I personally feels like it shifts like ****, and glad to see I'm not the only one. Overall, kind of wish I had gotten a Mazda 3.
I can definitely say it is not in the top ten for me as far as manual shifting goes, and I've only owned 5 M/T cars, so I'm including 2 motorcycles, 2 ten speeds, and a fairly cool big wheels with the max-action brake lever. But I'm content. I didn't buy the box to baby it. It works fairly hard.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Clutch and Idle issues

Originally Posted by eric-prk
Originally Posted by vintage42
...That is what happens if you try to put in it reverse if the car has any motion at all. You must have one foot on the brake to put it in reverse. Why in the world would you blip the throttle?
Car IS NOT moving, I blip the throttle to get it into gear, its the only way I can get reverse,...
If you have one foot on the clutch and the other foot blipping the throttle, there is no foot on the brake and the car is likely moving. The slightest movement at all prevents reverse from being engaged. The car must be stopped dead and the only way to ensure that is to have one foot on the brake while the other is on the clutch.

Again, why would you blip the throttle on a stopped car to get it in any gear? Can you explain what blipping the throttle does in the transmission to help you?

I had a couple of cars with un-synchronized 1st gear, and if you wanted to get into that gear while rolling, double-clutching and blipping was required to manually synchronize the gears. Are you rolling backwards fast enough to be trying to manually synchronize a shift into reverse? Come to a complete stop with foot held on the brake, and see if it is not easier.