5 Year Member
SL Member

Why not just leave it in park?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It's not a safe thing to put a car in drive with the emergency/parking brake on. If they give the cars going for a lonely ride. To add more load turn the defroster on. That will engage the AC compressor putting more load on the engine.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks to BigOrangexB, you speak my mind. And you are exactly right about all the mechanical stuff tho.

As I observe, xB has a very small torque converter and the tiny engine wont produce thousand torque at warm up, the rpm reading is below 1,5k unlike others with bigger engine. I found it is safe and works pretty good for me. Meanwhile, it heats up the anto tranny as well [ I think I have answer Max2K's question here ].

This method is not recommended to anyone who are not with auto tranny and not experienced. You need to double check the car if it will move(by give the box a big push before you leave the car).

Hurting brake or tranny? Why? I don't see a reason for it, as mentioned above by BOxB. Also, the parking brake is strong enough to lock up the wheel at high speed. I just think this is what they're built for.

at least, I still have to warn it. to do this, it is at your own risk, and I take my chance. he he he...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

one thing that hasn't come up is that fuels are mixed differently for different temps... so butane is added to your fuel when the temperature drops severely.... so you might notice a difference after that tank gets used up... gas needs a certain temperature to burn, I think it is like 21deg F, but you have to remember that it started at ambient and then vaporized so it go MUCH colder, then it went to compression.... but anyway, if you typically live in a warmer environment (almost always above freezing) then your local gas pump's mixture might not be so accomodating to the near zero temps...

btw... a spark plug change will not affect startup "speed" UNLESS the plug is fouled...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

oh, and another tid bit... front wheel drive car, rear wheel emergency brake... never a good mixture for cold mornings when ice conditions may exist...

this is just an all around bad idea...
Old 01-24-2005, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cold Start

Hey Everyone,

It was 12 degrees here in Raleigh this morning. I have been reading about the cold start timing and tried that trick....(where you turn the key one click, wait to here the fuel pump relay click-or I discovered also for the seatbelt chime to start and then crank it.)

It started right up no problem maybe after 1/2 of a second in timing. I have had other cars where I did this with as well ( VW's, Mazda's, Jeeps, BMW) and it really seems to work (at least for me that is).

-Peace,

Taknitez
Old 02-04-2005, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have always used a battery blanket. in alaska it's best for us to have a battery blanket and/or a block heater (that just attaches to the bottom of the engine block). but just to save a bit on money, just get a battery blanket. it just wraps around the battery. good luck!!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i have noticed that the cold weather effects my xB.....oh wait no i havent i live in West Palm Beach, FL! ahahahha, im soo sorry guys! i had to!!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by jcway212
yea i have noticed that the cold weather effects my xB.....oh wait no i havent i live in West Palm Beach, FL! ahahahha, im soo sorry guys! i had to!!
yea i have noticed that the HOT weather effects my xB.... oh wait, I live in Denver... I can touch my steering wheel without the fear of 2nd degree burns...

btw... does anybody know that the button does on the dash?? it is labeled A/C... when I push it, the car just drives slower... gas mileage goes down, not sure what that thing is all about...
Old 02-04-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

thats why u spanik the panisonic battery u got stock with your car's a throw a yellow top optima in there bang boom problem solved.. there only like $160...
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member

Its a normal occurance in any car
Old 02-07-2005, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member

Not to sound like an ___ or anything, but after just getting my xB on friday, and recently reading the owner's manual, it says that the best way to warm up the engine on a cold day is by driving, not sitting at idle. I would have thought that to be the way to go also, as I just came from owning a Jeep that would sit idling hard with the choke closed for 10 or 15 minutes to warm up. Apparently though, driving the engine is the proper way to do it. Check your manuals.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car used tohave a hard time starting too. one time it would not even start. the dealer had no clue. i do have a system so i put 2 deka batterys one under the hood and the other under the seat and never had that problem since.