Cracked Windshield Waranteed?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default Cracked Windshield Waranteed?!

Right so i park in Providence today to get some pizza, walk back to my car and start driving with my brother and he says "hey is that a crack in your windshield?"

now, he was the person who noticed when my car got keyed too....

anyways, to my dismay i see a crack running from the top of the windshield down and across about 7 inches... .

My question is: Am i liable for the crack or will toyota replace it?

Note: i do have a system, running 1 IDMAX, but i highly, highly, highly doubt that it could do anything in the way of cracking my autoglass....

Thanks a lot, and feedback from experienced scion owners/toyota techs is very useful.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I would think Toyota would only replace it if it was defective or was improperly installed. I would look carefully at the outside of the crack. If you can see a chip or something that appears to have caused it, you're probably SOL. If it is completely smooth and the crack appears to have started at the edge of the glass or something, they might take care of it. Couldn't hurt to try...

I wouldn't think the system would cause that either. You could probably test it now... If it won't move the crack that's already started, I would find it hard to believe it would have cracked it to begin with.

If it isn't covered, check with your ins. company first. Most policies have a lower deductible for these kinds of problems and they don't count against you like a collision claim. They consider it part of the comprehensive.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

the crack starts at the top of the window and is completely smooth all the way to the end (like i said, ~8 inches) ....
Old 08-25-2004, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

I'm guessing your SOL. It's going to be tought to get the dealer to bite on eating the glass.

If you think it maight be a stress crack or something to do with being defective workmanship, tkae it to the dealer and make a big deal out of it. they probally still won't do anything about replacing it, but it you will be remembered at the dealership. If you have to pay to get a replacement and it cracks the same way, same location, take it back to the same dealer and say you told them so and get the to reminburse you for the sheild you had to pay for too.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Defective windshields are not unknown. As long as the crack does not have a external rock chip they should warranty it.

Be sure that you take close-up photos of the crack before you take it in, just in case they get carried away with "probing" and create a chip of their own. This probably won't happen, but keeping good records is the best policy.

George
Old 09-03-2006, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same problem. have a unknown crack in mine also.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh, you probably both have chips somewhere. It took me 4 hours to finally realize I had one, I had to clean the windshield and get into the right light to see it, but it's there, right in the black part of the top of the windshield. It is smaller than a friggin grain of sand, but I have no doubt in my mind that toyota would see it. PLUS, I dont want mine replaced with that half ___ glass you get from them, Lamisafe or whatever its called. Im going to have safelite come do it after I let this one get trashed a little more.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so everyone realizes that all the glass sold here in the us including the glass that came from japan in our cars has to meet the same standard from the dot right?
Old 09-03-2006, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i hate parking in providence i have to do it daily and i cringe everytime
Old 09-03-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of my coworkers has a new Chevy Aveo, and the windshield developed a stress crack after about a month- the Dealer replaced it for free, no sweat.

It won't hurt to try...
Old 09-05-2006, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member

get full glass coverage on your insurance, its not very expensive, maybe 20 bucks a yr
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope my insurance would cover a cracked windshield because where I live there are coal trucks and they are notorious for cracking windshields. And of course all of the rock-throwing vehicles on the highway as well.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine got scratched from road debris when it was raining. how awesome is that?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it just me or does the Scion glass seem to be the thinnest in the world? How much money do they actually save by making this glass so thin? I'd gladly pay a few hundred dollars for regular glass all around.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meh. Modern auto glass is a highly engineered product, with a lot of additives in the mix, and is subject to strict quality controls... it also has to meet federal standards...

It's thinner to save weight, and a lot of science has gone into that... Fuyao windshields are thicker, and supposedly stronger because of it, but it's really hard to say...

Tomas covered it pretty well in an earlier thread- large, low to the ground, steep angle and short hood all add up...
Old 09-06-2006, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Kanotoa
Is it just me or does the Scion glass seem to be the thinnest in the world? How much money do they actually save by making this glass so thin? I'd gladly pay a few hundred dollars for regular glass all around.
I know Tomas posted that he got a better grade of glass for a replacement. It was tougher--but alas it finally cracked also. I am developing a force field in my garage for use on xB windshields. I will advise when it is complete........
Old 09-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heheheheheh... I keep hearing my name being whispered.
so everyone realizes that all the glass sold here in the us including the glass that came from japan in our cars has to meet the same standard from the dot right?
Yes, we do, but some glass appears to do a bit more than meet the minimum standards...

The Fuyao glass really did seem a bit tougher, but even it succumbed to a 210MPH rock that shattered both layers of glass.

Right now I'm running PPG, and so far it is doing OK, but it does seem to be getting a slight bit pitted from smaller rocks hitting every now and then. (Heck, even the heavy plastic cover over my front license plate got pitted, and eventually got stars with cracks. It's a brutal world out there!)

Tomas
Old 09-06-2006, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pitted? Should have seen the windshield in my previous ride, a '84 Volvo turbo intercooled wagon- OEM, with at least 150K on it... driving into the sun could be a real experience... it ate wipers...