Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default custom front badge/badging

First off

1. im new here, so i'd like to do the usual Noob thing and say "howdy"

2. i was wondering on how to "Do your own custom front badge" thing like
that one Black xB Mearl (search in registry or htto://www.scionlife.com/Mearl ) how they have the West Coast Choppers badge. I know there should be more to this than zip-ties and superglue..

more specifically im a big Travis Barker fan (drummer for the Transplants, Blink182, and BOX CAR racer) and he ownsa clothing line called Famous Stars & Straps.. which sells a belt buckle here:

http://www.famoussas.com/cgi-bin/fam.../buckle10.html

if anyone can give tips on how to cleanly fabricate a badge out of that buckle (which i already own), without having to buy the JDM bB badge and just super gluing it, it would be mucho-appreciated

thanks in advance!

-JeR
Old 03-26-2004, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually did the excact thing you are talking about, except with a sacred heart buckle. Check it out:

What you want to do is file off the loop/hook that holds your belt, then attach a bolt to the back of your buckle with epoxy or bondo. After you do that, you'll want to make it so it sort of fits into the grill, so use some bondo or some other molding compound (we used cement for bones, my dad's a surgeon) and sort of fit it to the front of the grill.

When you bolt it on it helps to have something like a piece of wood inside the grill in addition to washers to prevent the it from being damaged. Remember to use lock-washers so the bolt doesn't vibrate loose from the road.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me know if you want an inside shot or other angles.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Max2k
I actually did the excact thing you are talking about, except with a sacred heart buckle. Check it out:

What you want to do is file off the loop/hook that holds your belt, then attach a bolt to the back of your buckle with epoxy or bondo. After you do that, you'll want to make it so it sort of fits into the grill, so use some bondo or some other molding compound (we used cement for bones, my dad's a surgeon) and sort of fit it to the front of the grill.

When you bolt it on it helps to have something like a piece of wood inside the grill in addition to washers to prevent the it from being damaged. Remember to use lock-washers so the bolt doesn't vibrate loose from the road.

Hey, thanks alot :D .. i cant wait.! once i have it done, i'll be happy to post.

also, how "solid" is it on there? does it seem like it can be pulled off (by any given stranger when the car is in a parking lot, etc) easily?

btw, pics/angles would be sweet too!

thanks again
Old 03-26-2004, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: custom front badge/badging

Originally Posted by youarenotjer
First off

1. im new here, so i'd like to do the usual Noob thing and say "howdy"

2. i was wondering on how to "Do your own custom front badge" thing like
that one Black xB Mearl (search in registry or htto://www.scionlife.com/Mearl ) how they have the West Coast Choppers badge. I know there should be more to this than zip-ties and superglue..

more specifically im a big Travis Barker fan (drummer for the Transplants, Blink182, and BOX CAR racer) and he ownsa clothing line called Famous Stars & Straps.. which sells a belt buckle here:

http://www.famoussas.com/cgi-bin/fam.../buckle10.html

if anyone can give tips on how to cleanly fabricate a badge out of that buckle (which i already own), without having to buy the JDM bB badge and just super gluing it, it would be mucho-appreciated

thanks in advance!

-JeR
Howdy

I used the same type belt buck and hack sawed the backing off. I used 3m emblem adhesive( same type used on many OEM emblem trims from the factory). You can pick it up at any body shop/ paint supply store and it works great. It wont come off during regular driving or washing but if someone really wanted to yank it off they could, just like your XB and Scion emblems.

I just redid it using a "famous stars and straps" star belt buckle. My wife drives it and she didnt like the iron cross.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2004, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's bolted on, so if someone wanted to steal my sacred heart they'd basically have to rip out my entire grill first. I don't see that happening.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Max2k
Let me know if you want an inside shot or other angles.
that would really help, especially to see what kind of bolt/bolts, and epoxy/bondy/cement used to fill-in.moint.

once again thanks for the help!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Something else that might fit well would be the emblems off a Zippo like at the gas station mart... Should be about the right size to fit in the gap. Keeping my eye out.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

I made my Iron crosses out of polished alum diamond plate!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Bringing this back, way back!!!

I am about to basically saw off the back of a belt buckle, and somehow attach it to the front of a bB emblem... as long as the bB emblem isnt visible at all... I will see how this turns out in a few days.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.