Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

DIESEL Scion

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know, some of products of burning gasoline stoichiometrically are carbon dioxide, water, co, and no?

from the incomplete burning of gasoline (so your block doesn't melt or overheat) it makes carbon and soot. thank God there's a catalytic converter to prevent most of that waste from internal combustion motors.

However, what's the difference between a diesel power motor? tons and tons of more soot.

you know, the alarmingly growing rate of respiratory illness in China is attributed partially by the numerous dirty coal powered plants prevalent as the main source of electrical energy. however, the number one LARGEST contributors to respiratory illness is from the soot released by the large number of diesel powered buses, cars, and trucks in big Chinese cities such as Shanghai, Beijing, Dong Guan, and GuangZhou.

Trust me on this, I've been to each of those cities and at the end of every day when I pick my nose, I get some pretty black ___ boogers, imagine the rest of that soot that my boogers didn't catch resting in my lungs.

---As it is, Socal is converting their buses to fuel cell powered vehicles, some cities are going to put in hybrid gas and electric buses, I think everyone knows how bad socal already is.

--MUNI in S.F. has a large fleet of electric buses and is converting even more of their Diesel buses to alternative fuels, you may think that though S.F. is situated right in the bay and should be clean. Wrong, aerial pollution from Asia makes its way over here daily.

Out of California, only VTA of Santa Clara County has been lagging severly to the imposed restrictions on the use of Diesel fuel in a public transportation system that was implemented in 2000.

Sooo, if informed consumer advocates are against diesel, and knowing how difficult it is to get state and national legislature to help clean up the environment, but still agreeing to. I know I wouldn't want to go diesel. Though I did not have severe respiratory problems when growing up, lately I've been developing symptoms. I think it's all due to the gradual increase in pollution, not just in the United States, but from the rest of the world.

----next

Also, A vehicle running diesel may have more torque, but its horsepower will be severly lacking. you'll have the power to tow a boat at slow speeds, but what good will it be when your chassis can't handle it?

the car's gvwr (gross vehicle weight rating) is a rating that specifies how much total weight your car can handle. the rating states that the car's maximum additional weight capacity is 890 lbs. 3315lbs gwvr - 2425lbs curb weight. with 890, and an avg of 150 a person, that leaves 140 lbs of cargo.

a small trailer for a motorcycle weighs at least 200 lbs. and if you have stuff in the trunk it's not very useful either.