Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

do you guys have this problem too?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member

Default do you guys have this problem too?

ok i've had my xB for about 6 months. everything is fine and working well, but i've noticed that after i got rims (17 inch) the steering wheel slightly shakes when going 65+ mph. i've had it aligned twice and it still seems to be doing it. i'm not sure if this happened before i got the rims. am i the only one? is this normal?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

May be your tires...if thier overflated or underflated it can happen. Check the pressures...
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Did you use HubCentric Rings when you installed the wheels?

The center bore on the xB is 54.1 mm. Find out the center bore on your wheels and that will define the hubcentric ring that you need. My Maglites have a center bore of 73.1 so I ordered 54.1 to 73.1 HCRs. I ordered mine thru the local Goodyear dealer and they cost less than $20 total. I was surprised that they weren't familiar with HCRs, but he found someone that was.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...bcentric+rings

That would be my bet.
5 Year Member

The most common cause of this is your wheels being out of balance. If you take it back to the shop where you got your wheels done they may even do it for free. Otherwise it's like $25 a tire.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dchichaz
The most common cause of this is your wheels being out of balance. If you take it back to the shop where you got your wheels done they may even do it for free. Otherwise it's like $25 a tire.
That's what I would check too. There are two ways to balance a tire and wheel. The first, most common way to do it, is a standard spin balance. The second, much better way to do it is sometimes called a "road test" balance. It's a machine that actually puts a load on the tire and wheel as it's spinning to simulate real-world driving. Most place charge between $10-$20 per tire to do it, but it's worth it.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by dchichaz
Make that three votes to check the balance! It would cause exactly the problem you describe.

If they're okay, try the hubcentric rings.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

+4, check the balance and get hubcentric rings.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hubcentric rings are not needed if you know how to properly place a wheel on and tighten the lugs in correct sequence. and hand tighten all lugs first then torque them
Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a simliar issue, i swaped my stock steelies for my 17s and the wheel would shake but only when i hit 80 or so... i bought hubcentric rings and it lessened it to the point of not even noticing, plus a speeding ticket keeps me well under 80... if the rings didnt work i was going to get em balanced...

these guys as usual gave solid advice...
Old 12-21-2005, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had my 19on the xb switched them for stock tire for winter and then noticed shaking while driving took tires off put back on thinking i f**** it up some how and they still shake????
Old 12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I had the same problem with my TC and i have to go today after school to ghet them balenced again afther the place i got my new rims but on balenced them wrong. IDIOTS!!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's not a balance or hubcentric it could be that one of the front tires is out of round. This means that although it will balance ok the outside of the tire is not perfectly round. Got a set of tires once for a truck that worked great until about 55mph then the vibration started. It balanced fine but if you watched it while it was on the balancing spinner it was a weird blur showing that it was not actually round. One more thing to check. Usually more common on lower priced and off bran tires than brand names.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

same problem, then thought it was a bent rim, so bought a new set of 15" and the tires shop told me that my 17" wasn't bent at all
Old 12-22-2005, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Balance....
Old 12-22-2005, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i solve the problem with hubrings
Old 12-22-2005, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check Balance. While they are checking balance have them carefully check for a bent or warped rim.
Hubcentric rings may be needed but if the wheels are properly installed this is most likely not the problem.

My wife had a bad wheel from the factory on a Dodge van several years ago. Finally after I told her to have them specifically look at the rims when they were spinning on the balance machine they found one was not straight. New rim and problem solved.

Although most aftermarket wheel manufactures do a great job of quality control a good friend of mine who is a tire dealer will not sell aftermarket wheels because of this very problem.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a vibration problem at about 60 mph. Turns out the spacers I had installed to keep my wheel from rubbing on the brake caliper was the problem. So instead I had the spacers removed and the calipers grinded down a tiny bit and it solved the problem. Now I don't get vibrations until about 80 mph but I rarely go that fast since I don't care to get pulled over so I don't worry about it.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member

I had the same problem, but it was a bad balance, go to a discount tire and get a computer balance it is 12.00 bucks a wheel with lifetime balance.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the problem but it is worse or better depending on the road. I have 17"s and the dealer that put them on said they were balanced to the best they could be.

Can someone give me a link to these hubcentric things and explain what they are? Thanks!
Old 12-25-2005, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by dittoprinter
If it's not a balance or hubcentric it could be that one of the front tires is out of round. This means that although it will balance ok the outside of the tire is not perfectly round. Got a set of tires once for a truck that worked great until about 55mph then the vibration started. It balanced fine but if you watched it while it was on the balancing spinner it was a weird blur showing that it was not actually round. One more thing to check. Usually more common on lower priced and off bran tires than brand names.
I am with hin..........

Quick Reply: do you guys have this problem too?