Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Documentation Fee $395.00 Ripoff???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Documentation Fee $395.00 Ripoff???

Does anyone pay the absurb $395.00 "Documentation Fee?" I trust it is neogtable, else I'll be looking elsewhere. I don't mind a reasonable profit on the product and accessories, but I don't expect to get mugged on the lot!
Old 11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it is a scam
Old 11-12-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$395 is too much, but honestly I didn't look at my paperwork this time to find out what I paid

I know when I didn't have to do this "pure pricing" bunk, I would tell the dealership my bottom line and they'd meet me within $500 and I'd tell them to figure out all that I wanted into that price INCLUDING TT&L
Old 11-12-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I paid $85 for title and license transfer.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Every Toyota dealership has one. Just varies between dealership. Our's is 249. It pays for all the paperwork. But you get 3 free oil changes, and if you ever need a tow and are within a 100 mile radius of our dealership the tow is free, and that's for the lifetime of the car. So if you dont like the fee, then just try another dealership and see if it's different.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My dealer had a fee posted of $100.00 for processing.
I told the salesman to make it disappear if he wanted the sale. If he doesn't walk out and go back at another time to talk to another salesman. One of them will want the sale to meet his quota.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was $170, which wasn't tooo painful.. and yeah, i get the 3 free oil changes, so thats all good.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

NO fee's. just tax , title and license.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

35.00 for ALL the paperwork, anything over that is redicoulous..........
Old 11-13-2005, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06XA
My dealer had a fee posted of $100.00 for processing.
I told the salesman to make it disappear if he wanted the sale. If he doesn't walk out and go back at another time to talk to another salesman. One of them will want the sale to meet his quota.

Too bad about you saying he will make it disappear to make his "quota" because Scion doesn't work off commission nor do we have a certain amount of cars to sale.

And if you think that they care about you not buying one, wrong, because these cars are selling like crazy, and if its not sold to you it can easily be sold to someone else.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

All dealerships have profit quotas for salesmen. I realize that the Scions are low profit sales for the dealerships. But every salesman would rather be the one to make the easy sale rather than one of his coworkers.
The more that a salesman sells per month, the higher that his bonus will be. I have several friends who work at new car dealerships, including one at a Toyota/Scion. They have all told me about and showed me their Quota/Bonus sheets and the money that they make is unreal.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Bleach2-0"]
Originally Posted by 06XA

Too bad about you saying he will make it disappear to make his "quota" because Scion doesn't work off commission nor do we have a certain amount of cars to sale.

And if you think that they care about you not buying one, wrong, because these cars are selling like crazy, and if its not sold to you it can easily be sold to someone else.

You may be right, but add the dealer's MANATORY Toyoguard Protection Group-XY40 for $619 ( xterior Paint Sealant , Glass Etch Theft Deterrent, Interior Fabric Protector, Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner amd Undercoating/Sound Shield) and you've got one ____ed off redneck! This seems to be the norm in the Southeast.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohhh my god... the cheapest one in my area is 585... I think that is the biggest ripoff ever... Do they really expect people to pay over a grand in fees to buy a toyota...
Old 11-13-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

yeah there is a proc fee by area and crap like that, one near my house was $205 another dealership about 20+miles away was about $80
Old 11-13-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

its actually kind of funny, because when i went and bought my first xB, no one wanted to sell them, they pushed new kid out to me to buy from, so i did, but this was when they first came out on the east coast, i think it was the month after they appered here, so now when you walk into the dealership they all jump to try to sell you one
Old 11-13-2005, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We used to call it dealer prep back 20 years ago. It is added mark up, Pure and simple. When you trade a car in it gives the dealer something to bargin with in an effort to give you more for your trade in or someting to discount with. The less expensive the car, the less profit there is in the sticker price. So a dealer can discount a car without actually discounting from the sticker. In pure pricing all you have to bargin with is the dealer's fake fees. Each dealer decides what they want to add for processing or prep or whatever they want to call it, but most do seem to be $299-$399.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

glad i didn't get charged a dealers fee if i did i'd go through the roof.

scion corp is cracking down on dealerships adding this fee they are not supposed to be doing so.

scion reps ( salesmen ) only make 100 per car. and they make a decent percentage on the accessories they sell.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
glad i didn't get charged a dealers fee if i did i'd go through the roof.

scion corp is cracking down on dealerships adding this fee they are not supposed to be doing so.

scion reps ( salesmen ) only make 100 per car. and they make a decent percentage on the accessories they sell.
Sorry but I disagree with you on two points:

A.) Scion is not "cracking down". Dealers can charge whatever they want for anything they post on their menu. But EVERYTHING must be on the menu.

B.) Pay plans vary by dealership. Again, it's up to each dealer.

Most of the descriptions about dealer doc fees on here are pretty much on the mark. It's fat built into the deal to give the dealer added margin. They can use it for trade allowance, discount tactics, to offset customer service/fixed operational expenses, or swallow it if the customer doesn't object.

IMHO, ours is too high too. Not my call though so we try to make up for it by being the best dealer we can be. What else can your salespeople do? Please don't blame them for the fees they have no control over. We need MORE salespeople involved online and flaming them over things they cannot change won't encourage them to show up.

And forget asking to negotiate. You want to see Scion crack down? Get a dealer to mess with their menu "just for you".

Sorry for the rant. In real life I'm actually pretty easy going!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i paid $495 for the doc fees, it sucked but i had the first 06 in gainesville and the salesman called me everyday checking up on me and informing me of any or no changes. it is definitly a scam to get more profit out of our cars, but this guy worked for it.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My total costs were the list price of the vehicle (as shown at both the dealer's site and Scion.com), sales tax, and a $35 documentation fee.

That's ALL.

Quick Reply: Documentation Fee $395.00 Ripoff???