Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Does a spoiler lower gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Does a spoiler lower gas mileage?

01-27-07

Hey everyone,

I was planning on adding a spoiler to my box, but then I started wondering if a spoiler would help gas mileage. Here's the link below, but I'm planning on getting one just for looks either the Type II bBist or the OEM one. What are your opinions in the link below one says it does the other doesn't.

http://www.dailyfueleconomytip.com/?p=43

Knight
Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'm not inclined to click that link and read about this, because a) it's difficult to make a flying brick LESS aerodynamic, and b) I have not noticed any difference once I put my OEM spoiler on.

as far as which spoiler, I'd say OEM unless you have some fairly ambitious drop/body kit plans.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey cherryBox, did the spoiler make any difference in your ride?

Thanks
Knight
Old 01-29-2007, 03:27 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

mostly cosmetic..
Old 01-29-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

oh my gosh, no, no it didn't change anything but the appearance. I went with the spoiler to complete the lines of the vent visors i have.

it's still a flying brick
Old 01-29-2007, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart

mostly cosmetic..
Wow, that explains alot!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A spoiler is likely to have little influence on gas mileage as long as it does not stick up above the roof into the airflow. The more it sticks up the more it will negatively effect mileage.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Whoever owns copyright on that picture REALLY REALLY NEEDS to put it on a t-shirt. @_@

I'd buy three. It's freakin' hysterical.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

hahahahahaha, you seriously asking if it gives you better gas milage...? hahahaha, wow.... it adds weight for one.... therefor making worse gas milage.... wow, commonsense if you ask me
Old 01-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZOMGXB
^^ Whoever owns copyright on that picture REALLY REALLY NEEDS to put it on a t-shirt. @_@

I'd buy three. It's freakin' hysterical.
Hmmmmmm... Good idea. Time for me to fire up Photoshop and make some T-shirt transfers. :D

Tom
Old 01-29-2007, 06:34 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

sorry tomas for "borrowing" your picture..

i had it quick on hand on my computer and didn't want to browse thru your arsenal to try and relocate it.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heck, it's not mine - I don't even know where it originated or where I got it, but I'm sure I can whip up a large enough re-draw of it to make some T's for myself.

Tom
Old 01-29-2007, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dollar
hahahahahaha, you seriously asking if it gives you better gas milage...? hahahaha, wow.... it adds weight for one.... therefor making worse gas milage.... wow, commonsense if you ask me
maybeyou should chill out and read the topic before you try to make fun of him. he asked if it will lower gas mileage. dick
Old 01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It actually is possible that a spoiler if designed well could in fact improve aerodynamics and therefore improve gas mileage. I doubt that any spoilers for our car would make a significant enough difference to off set the additional weight. My bet is that any spoiler for the xB would very slightly decrease mileage. Too me if I liked the look any such small decrease would be insignificant and I would go for the look.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
It actually is possible that a spoiler if designed well could in fact improve aerodynamics and therefore improve gas mileage. I doubt that any spoilers for our car would make a significant enough difference to off set the additional weight. My bet is that any spoiler for the xB would very slightly decrease mileage. Too me if I liked the look any such small decrease would be insignificant and I would go for the look.
The first sentence of Ted's response is absolutely correct (and thanks for addressing that previous post, Ted; it always cracks me up when somebody who doesn't know squat about a subject tries to humiliate someone asking a legitimate question...!)
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd be inclined to say that the xB's roofline adheres to the design standards put forth by one Dr. (aerodynamicist) Wunibald Kamm of "kamm-back" fame. By (sort of) extending the flattish line of the roof beyond the drop-off of the rear hatch with the factory spoiler, you are in effect managing or "straightening out" the airflow as it reaches that point, thus allowing the vehicle, to a small extent, actually pass through the air at speed more efficiently.
As stated by others, it's probably a VERY small positive effect, but still a possibility...
Old 01-29-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very good analysis.

i do know one thing, that all the hicks that drive down the interstate with their tailgate down (while dip cans are flying out) for "errdynamits" are wrong. when you ride with your tailgate down the wind hits the tailgate after it goes over the roof and puts a tremendous amount of downforce on the back which lowers gas mileage. when you leave it up, the wind hits the tailgate and loops around in a circe giving a steady stream. not relevant to the xb, but interesting nonetheless.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itsmethemagicz
very good analysis.

i do know one thing, that all the hicks that drive down the interstate with their tailgate down (while dip cans are flying out) for "errdynamits" are wrong. when you ride with your tailgate down the wind hits the tailgate after it goes over the roof and puts a tremendous amount of downforce on the back which lowers gas mileage. when you leave it up, the wind hits the tailgate and loops around in a circe giving a steady stream. not relevant to the xb, but interesting nonetheless.
Indeed a common misconception here in Georgia (if they only knew as well how much more body damage their truck will take if rearended with the gate down than with it up as well).....I read the studies refuting the gate down= better mileage theory also.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the rear spoiler was designed to smooth air flow down the back of the car. I had the OEM one and removed it for my new one. Water now collects on the back( when I get caught in the rain) worse with the new one than when I had the OEM wing on. It won;t hurt your mileage otherwise. Hey, did you really buy the car for it's gas milage anyway?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the rear spoiler was designed to help keep the tires on the ground to help with traction.. mainly for rearwheel drive vehicles.. really makes no sense having them on on front wheel drive vehicles.. thats why i laugh when i see these little honda civics with these giant aluminum spoilers.. its all cosmetic ____.. reason i didnt order one with my xb..

i also highly doubt you will notice a dramatic decrease in your gas milage if you put one on.. if you are concerned about milage dont mod your car, if you want to mod your car dont be concerned with gas mileage..
Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I think we can all accept the fact that the xB spoiler is largely cosmetic.

still like the diagram.

Quick Reply: Does a spoiler lower gas mileage?