First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Does yours...uh...PURR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Does yours...uh...PURR?

I'm probably just a typical paranoid new car owner, but I could swear the motor has gotten noisier since I got the car (750 miles)

Are these just clattery little engines? I can hear valves chattering away at idle, enough that a friend of my mine commented that it sounds a bit like my old diesel Volkswagen!

I don't mind at all if it's normal and not a sign of anything wrong. The car runs great otherwise. The only issue I've noticed is a wavering idle sometimes, when the car is first started. It can be just a little slow to start and every now and then the tach needle will dip like it's going to stall. Not that often though.

So? Thoughts? Comments? Does your sound like a purring cat too, or is my valvetrain eating itself or something?

Talk to me mah brothas

Old 03-22-2004, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default No worries

No worries man. Mine does the same. One thing I have noticed is that gas makes a huge difference. I used Shell at first because it was cheapest near my house, and I started noticing a slight knocking noise when idling (the manual even mentions this and says a slight knock is normal) but it bugged the hell out of me. I even tried Shell's super "flavor" and it knocked just as bad. I was getting ready to take my car to the dealer and see what he thought but decided to give it one last chance with different gas. I filled up at exxon and she's been running smooth since! I've also read in posts that using sinthetic oil helps but I've yet to need my first oil change so we'll see. -later
Old 03-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned

Yeah same here as the engine breakes in.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah, I just hit 100 miles and my engine already sounds a little tappy... I wouldn't worry too much- its pretty common.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

get some grounding wires from randode and it'll fix your tach from dropping like that, mine doesn't move at idle at all.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

That's why they toss in that rockin' Pioneer system... Just crank it up a little more and you won't even hear it.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

ground wires on ebay = 30 or 40 shipped
Old 03-23-2004, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Does yours...uh...PURR?

Originally Posted by nest
I'm probably just a typical paranoid new car owner, but I could swear the motor has gotten noisier since I got the car (750 miles)

Are these just clattery little engines? I can hear valves chattering away at idle, enough that a friend of my mine commented that it sounds a bit like my old diesel Volkswagen!

I don't mind at all if it's normal and not a sign of anything wrong. The car runs great otherwise. The only issue I've noticed is a wavering idle sometimes, when the car is first started. It can be just a little slow to start and every now and then the tach needle will dip like it's going to stall. Not that often though.

So? Thoughts? Comments? Does your sound like a purring cat too, or is my valvetrain eating itself or something?

Talk to me mah brothas

Both are normal, the tapping is the fuel injectors. The whine, who the hell knows... it sounds kind of cool ;)
Old 03-23-2004, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you got your own personal metal orchestra... tttsssstttsstttsssttt
Old 03-23-2004, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdaniels

Both are normal, the tapping is the fuel injectors. The whine, who the hell knows... it sounds kind of cool ;)

I think the tapping it the valve acutally, but a noisy valvetrain doesn't always mean trouble. Different types make different noises depending on how valves are actuated.

The whine is the timing chain, if you're talking about what I think you are. Chains are a little noisy but I will take one over a belt anyday. I was psyched when I heard these have a chain. Belts break. When a T-belt breaks in a high compression engine like this you're in some deep ish. You think your valves are noisy now, imagine what they'd sound like crashing into the top of the pistons at 94985970893 miles an hour

Luckily, unlike the othe 90% of the cars on the road we never have to worry about that rare but catrostrophic event. We also don't get the biggest regular maintance buttraping there is with any car--- replacing the timing belt.

Our Scion's will be on their third or fourth owners and we'll be driving hydrogen fuel cell powered plastic cars that go 0-60 in 30 seconds by the time that chain needs replacing.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default all gravy

I got a few miles on my xB, and the noise is fine. I love the lil engine whine at high speeds...
Old 03-29-2004, 06:19 AM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
That's why they toss in that rockin' Pioneer system... Just crank it up a little more and you won't even hear it.
haha yes that's what i was thinking. i think it's normal for all of them to sound like this. i was worried myself for a bit. i am going to try to put better gas. hopefully that will make a difference.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Glad you mentioned this. I have the same loud valves. I noticed a knocking/rattling from the engine when I'd accelerate from a stop and I freaked. I posted about it under maintenance/problems, but made the mistake of describing the problem as a rattle, and got suggestions on how to make my hood stop rattling. I took it in to the dealer, and about three different guys took turns pretending not to hear the sound at all. Finally, it was "OH! THAT sound! That's normal." I'm pretty sure they were ____ting me and had no idea what the sound was, as it's much more pronounced from inside the car and when the engine's warm. I haven't had a chance to try a different gas, but you better believe I'm hitting Exxon next time.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

You will also notice a dip in RPM when the radiator cooling fan comes on
Old 03-30-2004, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: No worries

Originally Posted by Futureicon
No worries man. Mine does the same. One thing I have noticed is that gas makes a huge difference. I used Shell at first because it was cheapest near my house, and I started noticing a slight knocking noise when idling (the manual even mentions this and says a slight knock is normal) but it bugged the hell out of me. I even tried Shell's super "flavor" and it knocked just as bad. I was getting ready to take my car to the dealer and see what he thought but decided to give it one last chance with different gas. I filled up at exxon and she's been running smooth since! I've also read in posts that using sinthetic oil helps but I've yet to need my first oil change so we'll see. -later
thats cause shell stations only have two tanks one regular and one premium so when you go there always buy the mid grade its from the same tank as the premium.....so buy midgrade!!!secondly shells gas blows do the chevron thing mine nly knoks when i first start it!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by nest
Our Scion's will be on their third or fourth owners and we'll be driving hydrogen fuel cell powered plastic cars that go 0-60 in 30 seconds by the time that chain needs replacing.
werd!!!! 0-60 on 30 sec. that would be so dope!!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member

mine has about 500 miles now and my engine is still silent. I put speedway regular in it so i dont know why mine is still quiet but im not complaining
Old 03-30-2004, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default hahahahha

let me guess your a waiter...
Old 05-07-2004, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

*bump*

I'm still interested to know if more people are hearing this sound as their engines get broken in. Still drives me nuts every day not knowing what the damn sound is from.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Mines got just over 1000 miles on it (in less then two weeks ) and it's doing it too.

Going to do an oil change tomorrow, going to either buy the ground wire set, or just make my own (wouldn't be hard, plus I can find some color matched 4guage wire). Hopefully this will quiet things down some.