Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Does yours...uh...PURR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Compared to the turbo 4 in my Volvo, the xB is idling quietly and smoothly. Not really hearing a tapping, but I do have a whine. I like it though, sounds totally different than anything else out there.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I haven't heard any out of the ordinary engine noises. I don't like the high revs to get up to interstate speeds but other than that it's great.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member

One thing that's been annoying me lately is a strange pumping like noise when I turn off the ignition. I hear it best from the inside of the car and it sounds as it's coming from the bottom area of the front passenger side. Perhaps from within the right lower side of the dash or even beneath the car. It makes this noise that sounds as if some fluids are being pumped or exiting some pressurized area and stays on for a couple of minutes. Does it have anything to do with using the heater? Or does it have anything to do with the car being wet?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

maybe trhat's the fuel pump? I could hear what sounded like a fuel pump when I had my front passenger seatr out (through the holes where the bolts go). My astro would run the fuel pump for a few (10??) secs after shutting down.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I love how loud our cars are, particuarly since they are so slow. Anyway, arent cars supposed to "purr like a kitten?"
Old 12-11-2004, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sosumi
*bump*

I'm still interested to know if more people are hearing this sound as their engines get broken in. Still drives me nuts every day not knowing what the damn sound is from.
Well... about 10,000 miles have passed since my orginal post (hard to beleive!) and the song remains the same. It seems it's just a normal characteristic sound these motors have. I don't mind it at all now though. Never bothered with the grounding wires. The wavering idle shows up every once in a RARE while now, but I don't really care about it too much. If it ever starts to happen more than say once a month or so, then I might look into the better grounding wires.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member

Default Noise

I think the muffler is loud not the engine on mine. 2005 w/500 miles on it. It seems to be loud in the rear of the car and just sounds like there is a hole in the muffler but there is not. Anyone else feel the same?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member

yeah i noticed that too. They probably designed even the stock muffler to have some growl to it.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is all this talk about ground wires? Are you talking spark plug wires? What electrical grounding situation could result in these tapping or whining noises?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scipio, I think they are referring to the periodic drop in the tach needle, even though I don't understand the connection.

Anyway, about the whinning sound... have you guys heard the whinning noise from the engine of certain Porshe models and the new Audi S4s? They sound great! I'm not suggesting a comparison between the xBs and these German cars, but I think the same mechanical process in the xB gives it the whinning sound. Celebrate it, don't fear it!
Old 12-13-2004, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just got back tonite from an 800 mi. trip and the idle is great at lights, i love the sound at 5,000 rpm,and it sounds like a ____ed off hornet,got 32 mph. at 65 to 80 mph,i love this box and this is the 12th toy product i have owned, dont stress,take care of it and enjoy it..
Old 12-13-2004, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well its prolly your timing chain making it
Old 12-13-2004, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after 14,000 miles on my xB, it still sounds the same as i first drove it off the lot, yes tapping, whinning, & the rpm @ idle dips for only a short while only in cold weather when i first start the xB, then the rpm is back to its normal range.
i've noticed that the tapping seams to be more evident after driving on the freeway, especially after high speed or should i say constant speed (around 70-80 mph) once i'm off the freeway, and stopped @ the intersection, thats when i notice the tapping. then after some city driving, the tapping has settled. (tapping gone)
and the whinning, passengers think i have a supercharger!
other then that, i'm cool wit it.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i notice the more mods i do, the louder it gets. sometimes a screw gets loose, metal rubs, you never know. if you sprayed it with liquid second skin that would proly help a lot.