Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Dome Light Door Setting

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default Dome Light Door Setting

Is there a fuse specifically for the Door setting of the dome light? I installed my flip down monitor and the door setting wasn't working, so I reinstalled the dome light and it still isn't working.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member

Ok, after some research I guess it wouldn't have a fuse since that wire is a ground. I still have not been able to get this working. I just don't understand what could have happened. The flip down has a dome light built in, with a power, door, and ground wire. I hooked them all up and only the off and dome light settings worked. Is there an online wiring diagram somewhere that I can look at to trace the wires down?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member

One of the two wires to the dome is a 'always on' power. It gets it's ground by the grounding screw.

The other one, the "door setting", is a negative. It triggers when the door is opened or the keyless entry is flashed. It compleats its curcuit with the always on positive wire.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member

Right, but something happened to the door trigger wire. From the switch, where does it go? Is there some sort of control box or something?
Old 08-01-2004, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting...same thing happened when I got my DVD system with the roof-mount flip-down monitor installed. The base of the monitor has a light, but it doesn't come on unless the key is turned and you activate the light switch. Basically, I lost the dome light function when the doors open. It was bad enough having only that one dome light to illuminate the interior, but now that it's gone, that box is dark at night! I'm thinking of taking the car back to the shop, and having them come up with some kind of interior light. 'Course that's one of the comments I made on that Scion survey, that the car needs more interior lights, like maybe in the door panels or something...
Old 08-01-2004, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member

The best way to tell would be to hook up the stock dome light again--just to make sure it's behaving as expected. Or use a multimeter to test the wires.
It could be that the switch in your replacement unit is expecting something diffrent, either power or wiring.

The gauge of the wires in the dome light looked pretty small...if you have installed a larger gauge you could always use the small gauge trigger (if it's working right now) to activate a relay and give your replacement unit just what it wants; this would isolate the curcuit and protect the factory gizmos doing the fade and flash on keyless entry.

Here's a post that got some good advice from hizkidd on a simlar question I had. I haven't done the install yet. So if you find out any more behavior of the stock door trigger wiring to the dome light let us know.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=wizzards

There was also some talk about diodes, which could throw another bit of weirdness into the mix. Look on diodes in the search and you'll see some posts about them as related to some alarm systems that use the door trigger. They prevent 'backflow' of current which could also be causing the trigger to act strangely--freeze up. There could be a capacitor in your Flipdown LCD that froze up the door trigger, I'm probably as new to that type of thing as you are, so just take this as a starting point.

Edit: I've reread your post and see you've check the tigger with the stock dome light. you might try disconnecting the battery and let everything 'cool down' overnight to make sure all resets--including the computer that learned your driving habits to optimize fuel economy. Again, don't take this as advice from a pro, just learning about this stuff also.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member

I actually left it overnight already, still nothing.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member

Has anyone ever figured anything else out about this? I have been without a dome light for 6 months now.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member

Can someone at least point me in the right direction?