First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Expressway MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Expressway MPG

Okay, so i called scion corp about my MPG that i am getting (between 23-27 variates..) they tell me to ride NO a/c windows up...SUUURE....whatever. Friday i get a chance to test this theory, as i had to drive to west palm beach at night...drove w no a/c at least half the way, windows up , vent on, got off the expressway at a rest area to get a beverage only one time, STILL only got 27.5 mpg...rode on the way back daytime, a/c blasting @ III , i get 27.2 MPG, so imo the a/c is not the determining factor in MPG, tho obviously it duz affect it a little...should i take my box in for these #'s being so low?...the service writer at a local dealer said we should be getting more mpg than we are...what do u all think?... :?
Old 06-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I get 30+ depending on my driving habits. On a long highway trip I get around 33-35, cruising around town and leaving it running while I run in to get something I get around 30. And I crank the A/C b/c it's frickin hot in Texas. Anytime you can go out at sunrise and have 85 F weather, it's too hot.

-Z
Old 06-10-2004, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by wyldkard
I get 30+ depending on my driving habits. On a long highway trip I get around 33-35, cruising around town and leaving it running while I run in to get something I get around 30. And I crank the A/C b/c it's frickin hot in Texas. Anytime you can go out at sunrise and have 85 F weather, it's too hot.

-Z
see i need to get THOSE numbers, and in Florida its ALL FLATLAND too!!!...man wtf? :?
Old 06-10-2004, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i live in florida and have the same problem... what u have to do is ALWAYS keep ur RPM's below or at 3000 if you do that yu can go about 70mph max, but you have to accelerate slow.. but u can acheive 32 mpg or so, with the ac on and stuff. I did it on my trip to orlando. You just have to be aware of ur RPMS and acceleration rates.

that should work!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member

I was gonna say if your peggin it everywhere you go your never gonna get the best mileage.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've gotten consistent 30-32 mpg in my 1200 mile xB on my 75/way mile commutes. I drive about 70-75 mph, a few times peaking into the 80's, but we almost never need AC here in the bay area. The traffic doesn't really clog up that bad during my commute hours. I hope to see those numbers climb as the engine breaks in fully. I rented an auto xB to test the commute before buying my 5 speed, and that auto rental got 35 mpg for a tankful.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I mainly do highway driving because I live so far from where I work,I average speed wise between 65-70mph revs right around 3000rpm's.I use a/c almost all the time I live in the Great State of Texas,hot,hot,hot.I get between 31-33 mpg.Peace

04 Xb RS 1.0 #0686 of #2100
17-inch Black Motegi Racing RT-5's with Toyo Proxes All-Season 215/40ZR-17
AEM CAI
PrecisionMuffler.com axel-back
The Box is pretty much loaded out.

ScionMikey04 Let's just all try and get along and live in peace.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

for the most part on the ride e stayed a steady 75 to 80 mph, which in our auto , is just above 3 g's....i think we should have gotten WELL over 300 miles on the tank(somwhwere around 370 at least), and we were looking to get JUST above 300, mb 310, so we are getting ____ted pretty bad on the mpg tip....
Old 06-10-2004, 05:47 PM

right now i am at 25-27 per tank. And I got mods up the wazu!!! Header, manifold back system Ngk Sparkplugs and I couldn't be happier about the millage. Now I think if you are not driving the speed limit than that really effects your milage, especially since our cars are geared low on the tranny.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i guess what burns me , is that there are people on here getting WAY better milage, and to be honest, i am a granny driver, i never rev above 4 grand, i keep steady speeds, i should be getting close to optimal gas milage, and imo, the milage we have been getting is not even up to par with what it was rated at..i mean if u were to get the rated 34 mpg hgwy , which i believe i should have gotten close too, on our ALL Expreessway trip,just above 400 miles to the tank (that takes u to bone dry basically), but we had trouble getting above 300, like 320 TOPS , that is 26.8 mpg HGWY?..my v8 Infiniti q45 gets EXACTLY what it is rated at 16/20...to only get 6.8 mpg than a v8 is CRAZY!! Anywhoo , we are taking it in for service , and seriously contemplating exercising our lemon law rights to get another Box, we love the car, but are VERY unhappy with the milage...like even if we had topped at 30.something per gallon on our trip , i prolly would have let it slide, but this ,...this is totally unacceptable~!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by cmdxb
for the most part on the ride e stayed a steady 75 to 80 mph, which in our auto , is just above 3 g's....i think we should have gotten WELL over 300 miles on the tank(somwhwere around 370 at least), and we were looking to get JUST above 300, mb 310, so we are getting ____ted pretty bad on the mpg tip....
the numbers are not going to tell you what your gas mileage will be; it is just an indication of the relative fuel economy of the vehicle.

Okay, so what do those numbers on the window sticker mean and how do they arrive at them?

EPA fuel economy estimates are posted on the fuel economy label of all new vehicles.

The only intended use of these values is for comparison among the different vehicles. Fuel economy estimates are generated from data taken during a laboratory test using pre-production prototype vehicles under extremely controlled conditions using a professional driver, with the vehicle operating on an instrument similar to a treadmill. The comparison of current vehicle fuel economy to the EPA fuel economy estimates is to let you compare apples to apples.

The EPA GAS MILEAGE GUIDE, available at each dealership, points out that the actual mileage when driving a vehicle may differ considerably from the estimated mileage. The guide also describes how vehicles are tested under identical conditions to ensure that the results can be compared with confidence.

The EPA GAS MILEAGE GUIDE also points out that the city fuel economy estimate simulates a 7.5 mile stop-and-go trip with an average speed of 20 mph. The trip takes 23 minutes and has 18 stops. About 18 percent of the time is spent idling, as in waiting at traffic lights or in rush hour traffic. Two kinds of engine starts are used: the cold start, which is similar to starting a car in the morning after it has been parked all night, and the hot start, similar to restarting a vehicle after it has been warmed up, driven and stopped for a short time.

The test to determine the highway fuel economy estimate represents a mixture of "non-city" driving. Segments corresponding to different kinds of rural roads and interstate highways are included. The test simulates a 10-mile trip and averages 48 mph. The test is run from a hot start and has little idling time and no stops.

The EPA GAS MILEAGE GUIDE explains that the actual test results are adjusted downward to arrive at the estimates used in the booklet and on the labels. City estimates are lowered by 10 percent and the highway estimate by 22 percent from the laboratory test results. The guide also points out that traveling at higher speeds lowers fuel economy and traveling at 65 mph instead of 55 mph lowers fuel economy over 15 percent.

Even though these figures are adjusted, they still represent what the average driver will get. Your fuel economy may be significantly higher or lower, depending on how, when, and where your vehicle is driven.

Here are some things you can do to increase fuel economy:

* Combine errands into one trip.
* Turn the engine off rather than letting it idle for more than a minute.
* Have your car serviced as described in the maintenance booklet.
* Keep tires inflated to recommended pressures.
* Anticipate traffic stops.

Here are some things that will lower fuel economy:

* Quick acceleration.
* Traveling at higher speeds. Traveling at 65 mph instead of 55 mph lowers fuel economy by 15 percent.
* Carrying unnecessary weight in the vehicle.
* Revving the engine. This is not necessary for your vehicle.
* Operating your vehicle with the suspension out of alignment or with the wheels and tires out of balance.
* Use of electrical accessories that require high amperage when they are not needed.

Even things beyond your control, such as weather conditions, affect your fuel economy. Driving up steep hills, in rain or snow, and into a strong wind will lower fuel economy. In the lower left corner of the fuel economy window sticker for your vehicle is the range of city and highway fuel economy you can expect to get from your car.
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/gener.../aa022501a.htm

34 x .85= 28.9 mpg Assuming 15% loss at 65MPH, Factor in another 10% loss for 75MPH and you are right on target. You should be happy to get that kinda mileage at those speeds. If you really want to hit those higher numbers, granny up to and don't exceed 55MPH. I seriously doubt that the dealer can do anything... There's nothing to be done, at least to the vehicle. To borrow a phrase from the computer biz, "The problem is a loose nut between the steering wheel and the driver's seat."
Old 06-10-2004, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The Scion man (i appreciate the help **** ...,

That is all well and good, however ,if ALOT of others are getting much much better MPG than our box, surely something must be up!?!?? I mean lets review the facts here people, 108 HP MOTOR 1.5 Liters, how can it get less than 30 mpg?

City estimates are lowered by 10 percent and the highway estimate by 22 percent from the laboratory test results.

the article u provided even STATED it lowered the figures 10 percent for city, and 22 percent for hgwy..based on this the actual test figures were supp to be in the neighborhood of 40 highway then 35 ish city....based on THESE figures i am getting totally screwed, and thie loss in fuel economy due to driving at 75-80 would put me RIGHT where the car is rated at...it strikes me really odd that my old ___ civic can STILL get 30 ++ mpg JUST like it is rated at , with 225 thousand miles on it...and the Echo can get GREAT gas milage, along with the Xa rated at 38 or whatever it is, it just seems i am losing over 50 miles a tank at LEAST....

DEALERS??? care to defend/parry?
Old 06-10-2004, 07:40 PM

Well, sorry to hear that your not satisfied, maybe its just a fluke and the dealer will get you a better scion. But you can't really compare our bricks to a curved echo on gas milage shoot I know that our boxes work harder to go against that wind. Yet the xA goes through with is curvy body. :D

Old 06-10-2004, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i got just over 3000 on the car, and i am getting on average about 28.5. I drive very aggressively, have 18, but have the car lowered. I get about 25 when i go 100, which is bad becuase you are going so fast you can watch the guage drop. BUT ITS SWEET ___
Old 06-10-2004, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Well, sorry to hear that your not satisfied, maybe its just a fluke and the dealer will get you a better scion. But you can't really compare our bricks to a curved echo on gas milage shoot I know that our boxes work harder to go against that wind. Yet the xA goes through with is curvy body. :D
curious what do u get for MPG?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Banned
SL Member

my xa gets 37.5 combo highway and city,...yahoooo!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by cmdxb
curious what do u get for MPG?
right now i am at 25-27 per tank. And I got mods up the wazu!!! Header, manifold back system Ngk Sparkplugs and I couldn't be happier about the millage. Now I think if you are not driving the speed limit than that really effects your milage, especially since our cars are geared low on the tranny.
They have adjusted the test because it is not indicative of ACTUAL driving habits. It still doesn't say this is what you'll get, its a way to compare two vehicles. If Toyota was only getting a fraction of the EPA estimate while other carmakers are getting those numbers consistently then I would be concerned. Do a Google search and you will see it's not a problem exclusive to Scion.

Also, spot checking per tank isn't an accurate way to figure mileage, especially if you are going to expect the dealer to do anything. Keep a precise record of how much gas goes in and at what mileage. Figure it over a few tankfuls.

IMO, tho, if you expect to get the tested MPG, you gotta drive like they do in the test and I'll bet you can't do it for a week... I know I couldn't.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

i just write it off as opportunity cost to drive the best deal on the road. my mileage has been in the upper 20's hauling ___, and i figgered it was aerodynamics.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

cmdxb... you wouldn't happen to weigh 800 lbs, would you? :D
Old 06-10-2004, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey-
Sorry to hear about your bad MPG... as far as lemon laws go I'm not sure how much luck you will have since you can't really prove your driving habits to someone to ensure you are complying with what Toyota told you. Alot of people are having trouble with their mpg on the Prius too, which is rated at 60 city 51 hwy. The avg person gets about 46 mpg (from what I've heard) b/c no one drives it the way that the gov't tests it. Btw, it is also illegal for any car company to advertise different mpg than the gov't posts, so even if Toyota wanted to they couldn't officially retract the overestimated mpg.

Quick Reply: Expressway MPG