Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Expressway MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've been getting between 32-35 mpg so far, have about 2100 miles on the XB. My daily commute is about 75 miles roundtrip broken down about 55% freeway and 45% regular streets. Traffic doesn't really backup in my commute and I'm moving most of the time. Am very happy with the MPG so far.

Doug
Old 06-11-2004, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

IMO, tho, if you expect to get the tested MPG, you gotta drive like they do in the test and I'll bet you can't do it for a week... I know I couldn't.

all i am sayin is i DROVE w NO air conditioning for almost 200 miles, and 70 miles w it on, with the cruise control on avg 70-77 and STILL got only 27 MPG...that just is not right man, all three vehicles i have owned got EXACTLY or better than what was on the sticker....that is like almost EIGHTY MILES less per tank that i am NOT getting...

and I have tracked MPG for EVERY tank since mile 20.... started and got 320 miles , filled up 11.5 gallons , has since gone down to the above mentioned 23-27 mpg...w usually my 120 pound wife driving it to and from work on the expresway 70 percent of the time...
Old 06-11-2004, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member

In Northern Virginia it has been hot lately. In town I am getting 25-27 depending on my moods. Sometimes I drive a little fast. On the highway with the windwos down and no AC I get 35. With the AC it is 33. Not bad. The numbers on the sticker are not realistic. I would be disappointed with the numbers you posted.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by cmdxb
IMO, tho, if you expect to get the tested MPG, you gotta drive like they do in the test and I'll bet you can't do it for a week... I know I couldn't.

all i am sayin is i DROVE w NO air conditioning for almost 200 miles, and 70 miles w it on, with the cruise control on avg 70-77 and STILL got only 27 MPG...that just is not right man, all three vehicles i have owned got EXACTLY or better than what was on the sticker....that is like almost EIGHTY MILES less per tank that i am NOT getting...

and I have tracked MPG for EVERY tank since mile 20.... started and got 320 miles , filled up 11.5 gallons , has since gone down to the above mentioned 23-27 mpg...w usually my 120 pound wife driving it to and from work on the expresway 70 percent of the time...
Don't figure per tank, add all the gas and all the miles and get an overall avg. And slow down. Time is money, if you save a little time, it's gonna cost you some money.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, take it to the dealer if you think it is neccessary and resolvable.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...ge&btnG=Search
Old 06-11-2004, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member

well if you wife is driving it 70% of the time how do you know how she's driving?
Old 06-11-2004, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was wondering what everyone else was getting as well as I bought my XB about 5 weeks ago, I have just over 4,000 miles on it, and I am getting 36-38 mpg and thought it was high as the sticker said I would get 30-34. I travel from the mountains to the ocean everyday and back (105 miles round trip) so I don't pay attention to the rpms going up and down hills and all. Glad to hear that mine seems to be getting fantastic mileage though!
Old 06-11-2004, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Seneca
I was wondering what everyone else was getting as well as I bought my XB about 5 weeks ago, I have just over 4,000 miles on it, and I am getting 36-38 mpg and thought it was high as the sticker said I would get 30-34. I travel from the mountains to the ocean everyday and back (105 miles round trip) so I don't pay attention to the rpms going up and down hills and all. Glad to hear that mine seems to be getting fantastic mileage though!
I'm another one that gets mileage like this....took me a lil more than quarter tank to go to NYC, drive around a lil bit and come home. i live right outside of philly i put almost 200 miles on the box that day and ask everyone in ScioNRG, we didn't have the best of luck with lights and stops!

Jeff
Old 06-11-2004, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

An old topic but a good one....

4800 miles on my RS1 5-spd and I am lucky to get 29 MPG it usually runs 27-28. I dont race I shift like a soup kitchen christian so always before 3500. THe MPG is total bull____. I have complained everyone I know complains, but many folks w/o scion dont give a ____ because they are the dumb ones getting 15mpg in their SUVs... they think we have no room to complain... total BS. When its rated at 35 mpg highway and you get 28, thats not cool. The sticker MPG on those SUV is around 17MPG.... have them start getting 10MPG and lets see them complain. I went from an SUV to this for a reason.

I look for some to jump the EPA ____ about this, I can't even get the 35mpg w/o AC and doing a constant 60MPH.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions

Over 3600 miles I've averaged about 32.9 MPG, and it creeps up a bit everytime I fill the tank. Lately I've been getting around 34 per tank. I've had to teach myself how to drive again, but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to get the mileage you want.

I drive about 50/50 Highway/City with lots of stop and go traffic. When I'm on the highway, I usually do between 75-80.

I've got an automatic with stock tires. If you've got larger tires, you'll likely see a drop in your gas mileage. I rarely use the AC and usually have all four windows down. I try to keep the RPMs below 3000. Shift your car at 3000, not 3500. If you've got an auto, ease up on the gas when you want it to shift. You don't have to wait for it. When you first start the car, take it easy. Wait for the blue temperature light to go out before you try any quick acceleration.

The hardest thing I've had to do is stop myself from taking off at traffic lights. In my previous car, I used to floor it and be half a block away before anyone else even moved. Now I accelerate slowly and I still move faster than most other drivers.

If you're not getting this kind of mileage, or even averaging around 30, check your RPMs. I can almost guarantee you go over 3000 often. You might feel like you're driving like a granny, but it's very easy to go over and not even realize it.

I'm keeping a log of my mileage here.

Jacob
Old 06-11-2004, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default wow...

very interesting at the differences.....
Old 06-11-2004, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member

I get about 34 on average with my stick.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

my wife IS a granny driver, that is how i know how she drives, and it is not acceptable to be getting the milage that we are, to get 27 on the highway , w no a/c most of the way is absolutly unacceptable...if the dealer cannot fix this, i will be claiming lemon, and getting a new Scion....

like i said we LOVE the car, but this is crazy...this will be the third time we are bringing it in for service on the milage, and we have satisfied our part of the florida lemon law....i am going to request to hold a new scion for a week, and test the milage FIRST before taking it as a replacement...
Old 06-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by cmdxb
my wife IS a granny driver, that is how i know how she drives, and it is not acceptable to be getting the milage that we are, to get 27 on the highway , w no a/c most of the way is absolutly unacceptable...if the dealer cannot fix this, i will be claiming lemon, and getting a new Scion....

like i said we LOVE the car, but this is crazy...this will be the third time we are bringing it in for service on the milage, and we have satisfied our part of the florida lemon law....i am going to request to hold a new scion for a week, and test the milage FIRST before taking it as a replacement...
27 is still good......stop worring and enjoy it........life is to short!
Old 06-11-2004, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

27 is NOT good when we are talking expressway mpg....we should easily be in the 30's...at least 31 or so, and id be okie w that....o well..i called scion coorporate, adv tham i am takin gthe car in for the third time for mpg issue, and that if it is not remedied, i will claim lemon law, and hopefully rec a new scion...they did advise me they are going to have a coorporate rep for scion, be at the dealer i am getting the service at to make sure there is nothing they can do about the mpg....i will keep u guys posted if u like...obviously there IS some sort of a problem if some cars are getting STELLAR milage of 33++ mpg, and some are getting 25 mpg...that is too much of a difference to be soley driving habits and a/c...i REFUSE to believe that...u would have to FLOOR it all the time, with the a/c on full blast and 3 peeps in the car to make THAT much of a difference in the MPG...seriously that is rediculous
Old 06-11-2004, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you normally use the same brand of gas? If so, you may want to switch to a different brand. If you use "cheapo" stuff, maybe trying a couple tanks of name-brand would help.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

An annecdotal reference point- if I use 91/92 octane gas in my motorcycle, I get worse mileage than if I use 87 octane. I also get no pereceivable difference in performance when dropping from 92 to 87.

I'm using 87 octane in my xB and used similar octane in the rental xB that saw 35 mpg. I'd be interested in hearing if the folks getting crappy numbers are using higher octane.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Actual Mileage will vary
with options, driving
conditions, driving habits
and vehicle’s condition.
Results reported to EPA
indicate that the majority of
vehicles with these
estimates will achieve
between
XX and XX mpg in the city
and between
XX and XX mpg on the
highway.

The fine print on the window sticker. That's how they CYA. I meant to look at mine this morning and see what range they give. Does anyone have their window sticker handy?

Personally if i was the dealer, I wouldn't give you another xB to hot rod around in and test. I'd stick you in a rental and let the shop boy drive your car around for a couple hours.

I don't want to sound antagonistic, I'm just a skeptic I guess. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i usually use sams gas, and i used that same gas in my civic, still got ABOVE sticker mpg...however on the way back from my trip i filled up with texaco gas, and still recieved only barely 27..closer to high 26.9 on the highway....o well, i truly dont think the dealer will be ABLE to give me another Xb to tool around in, unless Scion Coorp tells them to, which the gentleman i am corresponding with , indicated that is a possibility....I do not beleive giving a "shop boy" my new vehicle to tool around in , would be a wise decision for the dealer to make, due to the fact the service manager, who is also the customer service point of contact/manager for the dealer, is handling this particular problem personally.

In response to the gas octane, i use 87...that is what the manual says to use...

ANNNND

I'd stick you in a rental and let the shop boy drive your car around for a couple hours.
who pee'd in your wheaties doode?....lol...
Old 06-11-2004, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tpcs147
In Northern Virginia it has been hot lately. In town I am getting 25-27 depending on my moods. Sometimes I drive a little fast. On the highway with the windwos down and no AC I get 35. With the AC it is 33. Not bad. The numbers on the sticker are not realistic. I would be disappointed with the numbers you posted.
I also live in NOVA and I've been getting around 33ish average. I drive with the windows down and spend hours sitting in the lovely Virginia traffic. I don't use the AC much though and I do accelerate fast. I need to stop trying to race people out of the tollbooth it just gets me and my box humilated.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'd stick you in a rental and let the shop boy drive your car around for a couple hours.

who pee'd in your wheaties doode?....lol...
Just speaking from experience. Used to work in a Service Dept. The hourly rate for a tech is way to high to have him drive a car around for 3-4 hours just burning gas, maybe if they were trying to pinpoint a noise or something. The service manager could drive it home at night to test, but that's gonna take a while to rack up enough miles - more days than they are going to want your car in the shop. Usually there are several lower level guys around that don't cost as much per hour. We would've filled the tank, snapped a photo of the odo and told him to drive until he puts on about 100 miles then turn around and come back.

It's simple troubleshooting. two factors - the car and the driver. You need to isolate one factor from the other to see if you can tell which factor is causing the problem. Which is gonna be cheaper? match your car to a new driver or match you with a new car?

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful... Just giving my opinions. I was under the impression your were soliciting them. Would you feel better if I said "That totally sux, you're getting screwed, give em hell"? IMO, that would just set you up for a bigger disappointment when they find the car is fine...

Quick Reply: Expressway MPG