First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Factory or Aftermarket Cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueBoxParts
I ordered mine through Allscion with the standard stick (didn't realize RF was available until I read this thread). I haven't gotten it yet...
I don't see that AllScion offers RF control, there is a blurb on their site saying Rostra does not recommend it for our Scions, and there is a blurb on the Rostra's site saying to ask them what cars the RF control is recommended for.

I chose the stalk partly because of all that, and partly because it seemed more built-in, substantial and permanent, and was something that could not get separated from the car over years and changes of owners. But installing and wiring the stalk probably doubles the time and difficulity. Are you going to install it yourself?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
I chose the stalk partly because of all that, and partly because it seemed more built-in, substantial and permanent, and was something that could not get separated from the car over years and changes of owners. But installing and wiring the stalk probably doubles the time and difficulity. Are you going to install it yourself?
I agree with that. Not to mention that I would always be worried about some RF interference screwing with the system. Part of my commute is near the Miramar airbase so there is all kinds of EMF that messes with my cell phone and radio reception.

I am going install it myself after reading the DIY threads on this site....it looks pretty straight forward. I also want to "test-fit" the stalk so I am sure it is in a good spot for me rather than having a shop pop it in.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I looked at an xA with the Rostra cruise control installed (w/ the stalk), and while my knees didn't hit it in the normal driving position, they were fairly close and I could see myself easily hitting the stalk getting in and out of the car. I decided it wasn't worth it. I would like cruise control, but it would only be used occasionally. I really didn't want to worry and think about hitting my knee on the stalk everytime I got in and out of the car.

I really wish the recommended location was different. The "factory" cruise control on the Toyota Corolla is the same Rostra unit (it looks EXACTLY the same), but they mount it on the right and it is more out of the way. I wish that was true on the Scions. The cruise control is worth the money to me ($275 port installed at Texas dealers), but not worth worrying about hitting the stalk.

Gslippy's installation looks good. He didn't put it where the instructions indicate to (and where I'm sure the port would install it), but it seems to be much more out of the way. He mounted it further back towards the dash on the steering wheel column. I have no idea if he ran into any special installation issues installing it that way. My guess is Scion/Rostra don't recommend putting it there because the view is blocked for the driver. I believe the driver would learn to use the thing by feel and wouldn't need to look at it.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kdepew
... Gslippy's installation looks good. He didn't put it where the instructions indicate... He mounted it further back towards the dash on the steering wheel column....
I am going to use his photo to locate mine, too.