flame thrower kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default flame thrower kits

does anyone know of a kit/kits for a flame thrower kit for the xB?
I have a custom duel exahast and would like to do this, if plossible.
thanx.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

um a universal kit will work fine.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would you want flames. what is the draw to that
Old 09-07-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's cool for shows i suppose. and for the "look what i have" factor
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey now, Batman had fire coming out the back of HIS car! You could rig up a small Facet fuel pump, use small carburettor jets for a tunable spray nozzle, and a Model T coil with vibrating points for an ignition source. Would definately get some attention, hopefully not from Johnny Law or Smokey the Bear.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Banned
SL Member

Guys, open up any Hot Rod mag and you'll find F.F. kits. Ebay even has them for about 50 bucks per-pipe.

I used to have a hearse with Flamers, could shoot 8-footers out the rear. I was in a big car-club called "The Flaming Idiots" and we all sported "Keeper's of the Flame" drag-plates.

Just so you know... I BUBBLED THE PAINT OF THE REAR OF THE HEARSE, YOU CAN EXPECT TO DO THE SAME. Since this was the main purpose of having the car it was cool, but I wouldn't want bubbled paint on my xB.

Also, to do flamers RIGHT, the cat-converter needs to be removed, straight-through mufflers need to be installed and the car SHOULD be carburated, not injected. This works best on pre-1980 cars.

Flaming is done using spark plugs in the tailpipes to ignite any un-burnt fuel. The only way to do this safely is to use a hand-choke on the carb. By doing it this way you can stop it quickly at any time.

WARNING: Injecting any type of fuel into a tailpipe is NOT a smart thing to do. It is un-controlable and can BLOW-UP. Please do NOT try to do this.

But, if you'd like to see the pics and write-up about my hearse and how we did flame-throwers BEFORE kits we around, just hop into the Dungeon and go all the way to the bottom of the first page. You will see a pic of the hearse, just click on it to go to the old site. My hearse section also gives the do's and don't about shooting fire safely.

www.DiggersDungeon.CC
Old 09-08-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

if you were to use a fuel infusion type aka into the tailpipe you should use propane gasoline is WAY too unstable.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

from what ive heard and read the kit dumps extra fuel into the cylinders so that it makes it out the tail pipes and the lights um up, on ething you gotta remember is more gas inthe cylinders equals less lubrication for the engine which is a bad thing
Old 09-08-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's the same amount of gas. what the kits do is momentarilly turn off the spark.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

so it IS possible to do it?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Digger
Guys, open up any Hot Rod mag and you'll find F.F. kits. Ebay even has them for about 50 bucks per-pipe.

I used to have a hearse with Flamers, could shoot 8-footers out the rear. I was in a big car-club called "The Flaming Idiots" and we all sported "Keeper's of the Flame" drag-plates.

Just so you know... I BUBBLED THE PAINT OF THE REAR OF THE HEARSE, YOU CAN EXPECT TO DO THE SAME. Since this was the main purpose of having the car it was cool, but I wouldn't want bubbled paint on my xB.

Also, to do flamers RIGHT, the cat-converter needs to be removed, straight-through mufflers need to be installed and the car SHOULD be carburated, not injected. This works best on pre-1980 cars.

Flaming is done using spark plugs in the tailpipes to ignite any un-burnt fuel. The only way to do this safely is to use a hand-choke on the carb. By doing it this way you can stop it quickly at any time.

WARNING: Injecting any type of fuel into a tailpipe is NOT a smart thing to do. It is un-controlable and can BLOW-UP. Please do NOT try to do this.

But, if you'd like to see the pics and write-up about my hearse and how we did flame-throwers BEFORE kits we around, just hop into the Dungeon and go all the way to the bottom of the first page. You will see a pic of the hearse, just click on it to go to the old site. My hearse section also gives the do's and don't about shooting fire safely.

www.DiggersDungeon.CC

I have ALWAYS wanted a hearse but needed more reliable transportation, so I got the xB, but SILL want one, I want a 70's caddy one.
Thanx for the info.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Banned
SL Member

Goth, I can tell you this after 7 years of owning a hearse... they are a blast but they are extrememly expensive. I figured it up one day and realized that I had dumped about 1000 bucks per year into maintenance and up-keep. I'm not one to cut corners on stuff so when something was wrong it was always fixed in the proper manner, which always seemed to hit the wallet hard. I loved the car and it served my "always-wanted one" needs but I'll never have another one.

Now, with the xB, I'm thinking of adding curtians, name plates in the rear doors and possible even landau bars on the rear side windows... get the effect of a mini-hearse going on.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Good info from Digger. Yeah, that's how they did it back in the day. Very cool. I'll be doing a bike with flamers someday, too many projects right now.

Gothbox, I found these guys in Modified Mag. Haven't used their services yet, but they do offer flamers:
http://www.autoloc.com/

Good luck!

-Alex
Old 09-10-2005, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default ft

If your up to making the fuel injected type. I have a circuit that will provide you with a spark plug driver. Makes the plug have a constant spark kind of like a stun gun. Then all you need is a nitrous injector with a fuel solnoid. I know of a guy that has been doing these for some time now on Firebirds.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its possible. all they really do is a switch that kills the coil, so no spark gets to the engine, which is why you have to rev it up before you do it. you rev up, kill the spark (and when you kill the spark, it is relayed to the sparkplug in your exhaust) and the fire shoots out. or you can do the propane injection, but i feel if you adding stuff like that it will def. get kind of dangerous.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I used to drive an old hot rod a model A pickup with a 1940 flat head 8 with a flame kit. It was a lot of fun, when you wanted to show off and when people would tailgate you.... The truck had dual stacks that ran up the back of the cab, the stacks turned back at a 90 and the flames would shoot stright back 8 to 12 feet. over the bed of the truck.

I used propane with a solinoid valve and switch for the coil with a spark plug in the pipes.

The other way of doing it was to kill the spark and Load the engine and exhaust with fuel, then hit the switch. The fuel in the exhust pipe would burn, shooting flames out the pipes. But don't try this with a modren car. First you have to find a way to kill the spark and still keep the fuel injection system working. And the cat would be ruined the first time you loaded it up as well as the O2 sensor.

Links to places on the web that sell flame kits.
http://www.axdo.net/exhaust_flame_thrower.asp
http://www.gotflames.net/hypercart/catalog.asp
Old 09-11-2005, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

The best ones I have seen used propane. It would jet out the tail pipes instead of just kind of buring out of tail pipes. It was well worth the extra money.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

so Where can I get a propane kit or what do I need to make one of my own.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.gotflames.net/ try that place
Old 09-14-2005, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanx
and F yea!!,