Foglight burnt my bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Default Foglight burnt my bumper cover

Aghhhh! My stock xb foglight on the passenger side burnt my bumper cover. Apparently the light fell out and was sitting against the inside of the bumper cover until it blew out from bouncing around. This made a nice melted mark on the outside of the bumper, the size of a quarter, just in front of the wheel well above the lip. Looks like someone held a heat gun to the bumper cover.
Now I have to find a way to get rid of this. I don't want to get a new bumper cover or repaint the stock one, so looks like I'll just cover it up. I was thinking either canards or smoothing it and covering up when I redo my decals next week. Maybe a nice scionlife.com decal would look good there.
I just paid to get a dent out of the fender three weeks ago and now this happens. I'm having no luck with this car.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Everyone might want to check to make sure their light are in nice and tight.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

this would probably be a warranty issue. take it back to your dealer!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

make that warranty pay for the job... um yeah, what ^^ said
Old 06-03-2005, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I thought about that, but I installed the lights. They are factory toyota fogs, but I assume since I installed them they'll tell me it was my fault and wouldn't be covered under the warranty.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shoot, yeah.. if the lamp is locked in, it's like -totally secure-???

if not then yes, I'd say you could go hat in hand and beg for them to make you happy in your new car. Expecially if you got the lights firsthand, new, from Scion/Toyota
Old 06-03-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

That sucks dude. Did the light fall out because of the way they were installed, or did something break / fall apart? If it was the part, not the installation, that caused the problem, the warranty should still cover it. It's at least worth asking.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by komik
That sucks dude.
Exactly what I thought when I saw the spot that melted.

I think I'm going to email Scion Customer Service and see what they say (they'll probably say take it to the dealer and ask them). The bulbs were actually in the fog lights when I got them new from a toyota dealer online. I didn't take them out, however being a dumbass I didn't check to make sure they were in right either. I did take them out now though since the bulb blew and I had to replace them.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Here is what Scion had to say:

Please wait for a Scion Customer Advocate to respond. You are number 1 in queue.
All Scion Customer Advocates are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. An Advocate will be with you shortly.
You are now chatting with Marley
Marley: Hi Jon
Marley: How may I help you today?
Jon: hi
Marley: hi
Jon: My passenger side foglight bulb fell out of the light and because of sitting against the inside of the front bumper cover, it melted the bumper cover and warped the paint. I bought the lights from a toyota dealership online and installed them myself. The lights were already in the foglight itself, I just plugged them in. My question is would the melting of the bumper cover be covered under warranty or am I stuck with the warped bumper cover? I installed projector lights in the car also, but never changed the fog bulbs. I had to change the fog bulbs now though because the passenger one blew out because of hanging inside the front bumper.
Marley: I'm sorry to hear that, to be honest with you I don't feel that this would be warrantable, however you should provide a Scion dealership the opportunity to inspect your vehicle for possible warranty work.
Marley: Check out this page from our website to find a Scion dealer in your area.
Marley: http://www.scion.com/scion/pub/deale.../searchForm.do
Jon: okay, I guess I'll let the dealer take a look at it. Sucks to have this awesome car but have it messed up.
Jon: Thanks
Marley: I do apologize, please let us know what happens
Old 06-03-2005, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Never admit anything!!! It's all Scion parts. If you didn't give your vin# to cust. service I say hit a dealer and see if they will just cover it under warranty. They won't know who put the lights in unless you confess you did it. They might just assume they were installed where you bought the car. (don't take it to the same place you bought it) Can't hurt to try and get a freebe. good luck and let us know how it went.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by totallyboardz
I thought about that, but I installed the lights. They are factory toyota fogs, but I assume since I installed them they'll tell me it was my fault and wouldn't be covered under the warranty.
Yeah its your problem.....This is why I payed $350 for mine (installed at the dealership). Mine are fogging up and they are replacing them.