Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Friend Broke my Side Mirror!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member

Default Friend Broke my Side Mirror!

So I've had my car for two weeks and two days and stupidly decide to let my friend drive it to the mall. He drove it about two feet and hit the concrete beam in the underground garage at my apartment. The brackets on both the mirror and the car were broken and the mirro was left just dangling there. I was literally speechless for about twenty seconds. Strangely though, on the'06, the little colored front part of the mirror just pops on and off. The mirror was pretty much intact with a small scrape and the wiring still worked, but the parts department is making me order a whole new side mirror ($172). I was hopeful that I could just replace the brackets holding it to the body, but that would make too much sense.
My question now is about where the wiring hooks into from the side mirror? The new mirror will come with a wire and plug at the end and the repairshop guy said hopefully it just plugs into where the tweeter is on the inside. If not, then the door panel will have to come off.
I took off the tweeter cover and it looks like it plugs in there, but I was unable to pull the plug out from the old wire. Anybody have any advice?

Also, I love when you're ordering parts for your car and the guys in the parts department act like they're not sure if they're even ordering the right part. He at first said, "well it should be the same as the '05"...then I told him the '06 has signals on the mirror (which you think he should know)....and then there was a a big discussion on what to order....so hopefully they figured it out correctly. I'm more sad than ____ed at this point, it sucks when a perfect new car is damaged.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You need to change the title of this thread to "Former Friend Broke my Side Mirror!"
Old 08-26-2005, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

could be worse. could have been me and let your friend drive your family's car into a curb after slipping on water and destroying the rim and lower controller arm.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

DAMN, I hope ur "friend" PAYS FOR THAT S**T
Old 08-26-2005, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member

yeah about the paying. I just loaned him $150 earlier in the day so he could buy textbooks for school....so I don't think I'll be seeing any reimbursement for the mirror anytime soon. If someone's gonna f up my car I'd prefer to be me, then I'd feel much better about it. Yeah, i know the mirror is a minor thing, but now I'm looking like an idiot for the next week with a wire hanging out with electric tape on it. Not to mention that I have much better things to be spending $170 on than a stupid side mirror.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xAowner
yeah about the paying. I just loaned him $150 earlier in the day so he could buy textbooks for school....so I don't think I'll be seeing any reimbursement for the mirror anytime soon. If someone's gonna f up my car I'd prefer to be me, then I'd feel much better about it. Yeah, i know the mirror is a minor thing, but now I'm looking like an idiot for the next week with a wire hanging out with electric tape on it. Not to mention that I have much better things to be spending $170 on than a stupid side mirror.
Lemme guess....this "friend" probably doesn't have any real way of getting you the $320 he now owes you.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The plug might go under the dash. Otherwise you'll have to pull the door panel. You should be able to tell from the length of the wire on the new piece. I have the 05 xA manual. I'll take a look and see if it shows where the plug is.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh man, that sucks *****
Old 08-26-2005, 06:49 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

friends don't let other friends drive your car or some thing like

i hope thats how that saying goes
Old 08-26-2005, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah
I bought an '03 celica new a few years ago and he drove that car when it was brand new as well. He denies it, but I know he was riding the clutch because I could smell the burning smell. Maybe he's just ____ed that I have new cars or something. He drives a '97 Ford Ranger.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xAowner
Yeah
I bought an '03 celica new a few years ago and he drove that car when it was brand new as well. He denies it, but I know he was riding the clutch because I could smell the burning smell. Maybe he's just ____ed that I have new cars or something. He drives a '97 Ford Ranger.
That should've been your first indication that he's not to be trusted behind the wheel of *your* car.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It's not a stupid side mirror, it's a stupid side mirror with "style" and it makes your car just a little more unique.