First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fuel Pump

Are these common fixes on the XB? I haven't heard or read too many problems with fuel pumps, but I guess they could go at any time on any car. My roommate just asked me to move my car, because it was blocking his car. I asked him to move it for me, and I was in the bathroom, and it sounded like it didn't turn over. So I look out the window, and he just looked like he may have been letting it warm up a second. Then I walk back into my room, and hear my phone going off, and it's him. I pretty much realized at that point it probably did not turn over before I picked it up. He says it's not turning over. I run outside in just my short, and try to start it, and sure enough the same thing. It wouldn't fire. Like it was turning over, but not firing. Didn't seem like a problem with the battery. So after 5 times, and giving it a little gas I somehow got it started. He kept telling me I ran the gas tank too low, and I knew I didn't. It was parked on a hill so it made the gas tank read lower. It was no lower than a quarter tank. I immediately just drove a couple of blocks over to the gas station. Left the car running, filled it up, and drove it back home. I shut it off, and restarted it again, and it started up fine.

I honestly haven't driven the car since Sunday, but I did start it up to move it last night. I smelled gas when I was taking out the trash last night, and after I started the car today when it finally fired I smelled more gas in the cab than I normally would. Last night I chalked up the gas smell as just normal, and for all I knew it could have been someone driving down the street. In a minute when I finish typing this I am gonna move it, and look for gas leaks. If not it's probably the fuel pump which sucks, because I don't have $1200 bucks. My mom had hers fixed on her Pontiac three years ago for $900 bucks. I am in real estate, and live paycheck to paycheck. This car isn't a pos. It got my across the country with no problems, but the cash I had to buy this car I was gonna use for a down payment on another car a brand new one I wouldn't have to repair all the time. I have bad luck with cars I am cursed. Anyone ever have a problem with the fuel pump or any problem with their XB like I just explained? Or is this just a fluke problem? It's an 04 XB 86k miles. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

fuel pumps are easy...

for 1200 bucks I'll come across the country for you and install it...or just do it yourself in an afternoon for the cost of the pump
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

also..your fuel pump..more likely than not will not be an intermittent problem...
it will either work or it wont
Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my buddy who lives back home who is a mechanic told me it may just be a small problem. Could be something simple like the fuel filter or tune up. At first I was freaking out thinking maybe it was something REALLY bad like this girl I used to date had a Dodge Intrepid, and let all the oil burn or leak, and it wouldn't start just like mine didn't until she filled the oil, and it started right up with no problem, and no knocking noises. The next day she threw a rod. I always think the worst of things though. I just changed the oil myself actually only a few weeks ago, and I am sure the oil pressure light would have come on. I am going out later, and hopefully it starts!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I am going with fuel filter as I have seen these fail before
Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
Well I didn't wanna post about it again, but I had no problems the last 6 days since it happened. Seems to be alright now. It doesn't run any differently either. Hopefully it was just a fluke. Runs normally, starts up normally. Since that day though I haven't went more than 21 hours or so without starting it, and driving it.

I hope it is nothing serious. If it's the fuel filter I can probably figure out how to do that myself. I am also not letting it go below a half a tank which is a pain in the ___ to get gas every day, but oh well whatever. It wasn't any lower than a quarter tank the day it wouldn't start.

I will have to start taking the bus or borrowing someone elses car if it is serious, and costs a lot. This brings me to mechanics[Not just the ones at your local dealership either] One of my best friends is a mechanic, and has his own business. Unfortunately we live almost 3000 miles away now. He always tells me though mechanics are the richest small business owners in America. Not neccessarily the mechanics who work for them, but the owners themselves. He claims he is one of the few who isn't loaded for the fact that his rate is $90 bucks an hour. For a job that take 3 hours for example he only charges 3 hours labor to do 3 hours work. A lot of them charge $50 or $60 bucks an hour, but will charge you 8 hours labor to do a 3 hour job. So a lot of people who have good luck with cars will say ''Oh my god I just had to get my car fixed, and it cost me almost $500 bucks! What the hell? That is so expensive! Dammit I am broke now!''. The truth is if you spend $500 bucks on a car repair all depending what it is you probably got off easy. $500 bucks is nothing for a car repair anymore. It's peanuts. Anything other than routine maintenance you are probably gonna pay that much unless you are buddies with the mechanic. I even see people on here say ''Oh god the mechanic charged me $1200 bucks for this!'' which sucks. I don't know why they expect you to have $2000 bucks laying around in your house. What kind of person who has bills to pay has that laying around in the bank or at home? Maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 people? Get outta here! Sorry just had to rant.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check your spark plugs to be sure they are not fouled... if they are fouled or dirty, you are not getting enough spark..
start with the easy things first, trouble shoot and diagnose, dont just jump to conclusions, or buy parts you may not need, even if they are cheap..
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

when was your last tune up?

it sounds to me like you are swimming before you have even hit the water
take a deep breath...and repeat after me
a fuel pump will not cost 1200 dollars...a fuel pump will not cost 1200 dollars
Old 11-11-2010, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MadMike550
when was your last tune up?

it sounds to me like you are swimming before you have even hit the water
take a deep breath...and repeat after me
a fuel pump will not cost 1200 dollars...a fuel pump will not cost 1200 dollars
Honestly I don't even know when the last tune up was. I have only had this car since the end of June! I know it won't cost $1200 bucks. I was just generalizing the average repair bill I see nowadays. I don't even think it is the fuel pump. I just had that symptom with fuel pump problems in the past. I haven't driven it since last night. This is the longest I have went without driving it since the night it wouldn't start last week. Hoping I didn't jinx it from starting tomorrow morning! My mom did pay $850 bucks or maybe it was more to have her fuel pump replaced in her Pontiac Grand Am 3 years ago. That wasn't even including the tow! I don't know if the gas tank was full or not thus creating a harder job to drop the tank. I know fuel pumps don't even cost $100 bucks for just the part. I don't think it is the fuel pump though. It might be nothing, because nothing has become of it since that one time last week!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

do yourself a favor and replace the spark plugs

easy job...only take you a 10MM wrench and a spark plug socket and extension

they are supposed to be replaced every 35K miles
Old 11-14-2010, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MadMike550
do yourself a favor and replace the spark plugs

easy job...only take you a 10MM wrench and a spark plug socket and extension

they are supposed to be replaced every 35K miles
I'll be doing this next weekend hopefully. Actually I might just go ahead, and do it one day during the week. I know it was 35k miles, because a kind member of the forum sent me through pm an uploaded page of the manual for the car with the maintenance intervals, because when I got the car the woman didn't have the owners manual. That is kinda weird though. The last few years[Before 04] I was hearing most new cars first scheduled tune up wasn't due until 100k miles. I guess the XB isn't one of them. I think I went almost 70k miles with my 02 Focus, but I don't recall what the manual said for that.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I just put a set of Iridium plugs in mine
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Sciond
Very common issue on basically any vehicle. Pretty inexpensive to replace if you know how to work on cars.
I just changed the one in my 4x4 Jeep last weekend and I had it done in 20 mins. flat. Then again, I am a mechanic. But even for someone that's not, as long as you follow the correct steps, you could probably have it done in an hour. As long as it ends up being the inline fuel filter and not a clogged screen/filter that is inside the tank at the fuel pump itself. That's a little more involved, but could still be done by someone that follows the steps and is fairly decent with tools, it'll just take a little longer, since in most vehicles you have to physically lower the fuel tank to get at it, as most of them are directly on the top of the tank. That's a bit longer process, but don't freak out, it's really not has hard as it may sound.