First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Got Rear Ended !!! [PICS... 56k No Way]

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Got Rear Ended !!! [PICS... 56k No Way]

While I was in Miami this weekend, I got hit in the ___ by some kid in a VW.

My girlfriend and I are fine, and it wasn't very serious, but I'm still ____ed.

I can't open the back hatch, the passenger side back door won't close all the way (so I can't turn on my alarm or lock the doors with the remote), and the frame is rubbing up against my pass. side rear tire (which makes this horrible sound while I'm driving)

I had to drive her like this all the way back up to Daytona.

The guy already reported it to his Insurance (State Farm), and they're supposed to contact me within the next 48 hours.

I've never been in any kind of accident, or had to deal with insurance, so what should I expect to happen next?

It was some rich-looking kid that hit me, and his rich dad came out to the scene, so hopefully he has some good ins. and they'll pay for a rental car.

PICS:

On a brighter note... I went to the Ultra Music Festival in Miami this weekend.. that ____ was off the chain

A couple pics from that:

Old 03-28-2005, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couple more pics I took today:

The bumper was touching the exhaust, and it melted a little on the way back from Miami:

Old 03-28-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That cop looks a lot like my father in law, who passed away about 2 years ago. Yikes.

Glad you and the little missy are doing fine. I bet that's going to be an expensive fix. Hopefully all the insurance stuff works out. My wife got hit by a guy when we first moved to Florida, and the guy didn't have insurance. Typical of Florida.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Got rear ended [PICS... 56k No Way]

Originally Posted by TokyoRaver
The guy already reported it to his Insurance (State Farm), and they're supposed to contact me within the next 48 hours.
Did you report it to your insurance company yet? If not you definitely should. Your insurance company will make sure that the other guy's insurance pays for everything. Just keep in contact with your insurance company and they'll tell you what to do, get you set up with a rental car, and get your box back as soon as possible.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Got rear ended [PICS... 56k No Way]

Originally Posted by komik
Originally Posted by TokyoRaver
Did you report it to your insurance company yet? If not you definitely should. Your insurance company will make sure that the other guy's insurance pays for everything. Just keep in contact with your insurance company and they'll tell you what to do, get you set up with a rental car, and get your box back as soon as possible.
I called my ins. (Geico) right after the accident while the cops were still there, and they said that I could either call his ins. directly, or I could pay my deductable ($500), and they would go after his insurance and try to get everything fixed and get my deductable back.

I just paid a big deposit on my tuition for the University in London, so I don't have the $500. I'll see what happens with his ins. and hopefully all goes well.

This sucks

Should I go ahead and go to the dealer to get an estimate of the cost/time of repairs, or should I wait until his Insurance contacts me?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

His insurance will probably have someone to estimate the cost of repairs. You might want to get a second opinion, though. I went through something similar, but the body shop I went to wasn't going to do as extensive a repair as the insurance company paid ended up paying for. They wanted to just repair this or repair that, whereas the insurance inspector just factored in for me to get brand new parts.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Oh, I hate insurance in FLORIDA. When my (former) new Beetle got rear endeed, and forced into a SUV in front, it cost $12,000 to fix, and they did not total the Bug.

Then, the guy who hit me, only had $10,000 insurance, so I did not get it all from him.

In the end, my insurance company paid out. It sucked. Hope it goes better for you.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sorry to hear that.... how did find out about the music festival..???
Old 03-29-2005, 05:45 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sad to see a busted xB.

Glad to hear you two are OK.

Don't sign off until you are satisfied that everything is fixed right...
Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Def get another quote. When my Honda got hit in a parking lot, the insurance company paid more than a local shop quoted me, so I got some goodies!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member

I was in Miami for the Winter Music Conference looking out for Xb's but only saw about 2of them. One was a mini-limo which was cool.

We're going to be publishing a couple of hundred or photos from from the Ultra Music Festival on my website shortly. Let me know if you've taken any you'd like to submit (always keen to have more!)
Old 03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdub
Def get another quote. When my Honda got hit in a parking lot, the insurance company paid more than a local shop quoted me, so I got some goodies!
How did that work? You got quoted from two shops, reported the expensive one, and went to the cheaper one?

I'm still trying to figure all of this out
Old 03-29-2005, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the ins co. will send someone out to look at your car or they might ask you to come to one of their drive in locations (if they have them in your area), THEY WILL NOT WRITE A FINAL ESTIMATE, since your tire is hitting one of the panels, I would say your car should not be driven.
Once the accept liability (they agree to pay) you just take the copy of the estimate to a shop of your choice or they might even offer shops that they recommend, normally the ones they recommend will give you a lifetime guarantee by StateFarm. If you go to an other shop you would just have whatever guarantee they might offer. Depending on how close to a complete repair the Ins Co. estimate is, if you go to a shop & they give you an estimate for less, you might be temted not tell them StateFarm ins was more. The only probelm you would have doing that, if they find more damages during the course of the repair then you would have to either let them know you have a claim (which they don't like) or have to pay the diff yourself, unless you have some agreement with the shop incase this happens. Ins Co. don't overpay, they just write estimate so anyshop repairs your vehicle. Any time a shop tells you they can save your deductible or do it for less than the Ins Co. estimate sometimes you are not getting the best repair (sometimes).

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

F!&% Miami. They get the WMC and Ultra? I live in Jacksonville, what do I get? Nothing, that's what.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My box is now at Daytona Toyota... they haven't given me a complete estimate yet, but they think there was considerable frame damage. Probably around $6k to fix it all.

Not sure how long it's gonna take, but at least I got a free rental to abuse... a Corolla S
Old 03-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

If there is frame damage, make sure you check it when all is said and done. Do this by having someone else drive the box in front of you. Find a straight road and follow about 2 car lenghts behind. What you are looking for is "off tracking" meaning that the rear wheels dont follow the same track as the front wheels. Meaning that they body shop didnt straighten out your frame. A crooked frame only spells trouble down the road.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

State Farm is currently being sued for 1.2 BILLION with a B here in Illinois for putting used or inferior parts on vehicles where they paid the claims. I would go with someone you trust to repair your vehicle.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HammerHead
State Farm is currently being sued for 1.2 BILLION with a B here in Illinois for putting used or inferior parts on vehicles where they paid the claims. I would go with someone you trust to repair your vehicle.
I think I trust the Toyota Dealership more than any other random body shop in Daytona. I'm sure at Toyota they will be using all OEM parts as well. I'll make sure they do!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't be all THAT sure, Tokyo... even a dealer's shop will often use 'aftermarket' parts if the insurance estimate/authorization they are working from specs "AM" for any item...

Watch them like a hawk!
Old 03-30-2005, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Ouch"

Quick Reply: Got Rear Ended !!! [PICS... 56k No Way]