First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Green RS3 Paint Bubble Question/Concern

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Green RS3 Paint Bubble Question/Concern

Just two weeks ago I gave my RS3 its annual detail which included a wash using a gentle soap, a good claying until there wasn't any debris left in the pain, and finally two coats of zaino.
The wife and I detailed the car together and we both went over the car with the clay bar and either of us had seen anything out of the ordinary.

Last night we decide to do a little bit of rock chip touch up and both were shocked when we saw to bubbles in the paint on the hood each about a 1/8 inch in diameter the shape of a perfect circle. They were def. bubbles and not rock chips as they were not broken. You could push them and watch them spread and move. Typical soft paint bubbles. Not chips because we have a scion xb 1/2 bra on the nose of the hood. The funny thing is these two paint bubbles were formed on the hood underneath the bra and because of this I'm not sure what to make of it. These bubbles were not there two weeks ago while claying.

Is this coincidence, or did my wash, clay, zaino, bra back on, raining/humidity of St.louis area, because the bubbles to form under the bra? Keep in mind we have used this bra for the past two years in extreme 100 degree heat and have never had a problem. I have also always clayed the car and used zaino. Heck, it's not even that hot here. We reached the low 80's for our high.

Being anxious and not wanting the bubbles to spread, these were the type that would grow and grow until they were the size of a dime, I took out my pocket knife and scraped away all the bubble area until it was tight paint on hood. I then taped off the area and applied my touch up. I scanned the rest of the car and didn't see these any more.

What likely caused the bubbles? Me? If more appear, especially outside of the bra area I will take it in f or warranty work.

Green RS3 owners, be on the look out for bubbles. They are coming out this time of year to celebrate their second birthday.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a small bubble in my hood as well. And it also formed under the xB bra. Since then I've never used the bra. So i'm guessing it's not your detailed work that did this.. It's just our cheap paint plus various factors like you said. Humidity, heat and the bra itself. The bubble is small enough that you can barely see it.. But sometimes it does annoy me because I know it's there.. If you find out a way to get rid of it.. please let me know..