Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

hail damaged xb - to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 PM
yaj

Default hail damaged xb - to buy or not to buy

would you buy if the dealer tells you: "we will fix it using paintless dent repair"...i mean it looks nice because they have a demonstration on a camry and it was fixd up nicely...just wondering if you guys would consider if they had it fixed back to stock form...

also how thin/thick is the xb shell metal? thx
Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

no
Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

meh, dealers are always trying to get ur money with the least amount of work/money it'll cost them. ur call i guess. i say no.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 PM
yaj

well they were asking 12.9k and are still asking 12.9k. they are now asking 12.9k + fixing the dings for me for free. they also said i could negociate with them. sound like a deal? i really need a car and the other xb's here are so damn over priced. it's just hard to find a cheap one around
Old 06-10-2008, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i understand, lots of dealerships have to do body work to new cars before they are sold. and hail damage is only cosmetic, paint and maybe some glass. it happens. anyway, if they fix it for free, yeah, why not?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Some dent removal stuff is actually quite good.
I'd see if you can get em closer to 11-12k though.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:36 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my parents bought a 05 pt cruiser turbo ragtop that's been hail damaged and they love the car they didn't get it fixed if they did it would lose its name of dimples
Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldnt buy it because if they have to repaint any section that area is more prone to fading, chipping, cracking, and everything else. Nothing beats a factory paint job
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by PregoRollerSkate
Nothing beats a factory paint job
LOL! The factory paint jobs on the Scions are notoriously crappy.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Compared to the paint jobs you get for 2-3k they still wont hold up against paint from the factory
Old 06-10-2008, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

12.9K doesnt seem like that good of a price anyway for a damaged used xB. Ive seen used going for the same minus the damage
Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned
SL Member

Couple things ...

1) the dealership is not going to repaint the car. It would be cheaper for them to take it to auction and sell it for parts before they take the hits out and repaint. Hence, they want to use the paintless dent remover.

2) Any dealership worth its spot on the map is insured. Their insurance has probably already covered them for the damage ... they are looking to make more money by not budging in the price and charging you more to fix it. Think of it as they are getting paid twice for one act of nature.

3) Here is what you do ... go in with a couple bucks in hand; the more you bring, the more buying power you will have, and make an offer. Do not take into consideration the repairs with this offer, it shouldnt matter at this point. Now if you agree on 10K .. now you tell them that they need to fix the car, at their cost. At this point ask them why their insurance isnt covering the loss ONLY if you get the run around. Get everything in writing.

It they give you the run around, then you need to get up and leave. Dealerships are notorious for only having interest in selling and nothing after you drive it off the lot. If they wont budge, then wakl out cause they wont be there for you should you need them for anything down the line shoud something come up.

Oh, and dont let on that you want or need this car. If they think that you are emotionally tied to the car they will be less likely to come down in price. Remember, everyone now needs to put food on their tables and fuel in their tanks. Use this to your advantage and dont be afraid to walk out and mean it. If you walk to the door, look back and then go back to the table they know they have you. Go through the door and drive off, ill bet you get a phone call.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

^^I agree with Chris, get everything in writing and the best thing to do if the are feeding you the bullsh*t, just walk out.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 AM
yaj

guys, they wont be charging me for any repairs. ill be watching closely! ill be paying what ever i negociate with + the free paintless dent repair. i went back to check the car out and there are a few more dings than expected but they're not huge at all. no chips or anything at all just dings. im hoping they can pop those out. the salesman said they could do it without having to repaint or doing body work. ill talk to one of the auto body dudes at the dealership. if they can pull them out, i think im going to go for it. it doesn't look that bad. i did check out the camry they had inside the dealership, and it was fixed very well. not noticable at all. im not saying that because im desperate for it guys. it's not like it started rusting. lol. but ill definitely try to talk them down $2,000 for it. it is in really nice condition though. im going to maybe down like a 100 bucks. no more than that until i see the finished product. if i dont like it, ill pass. if i like, ill post pictures.

anyone with good info on paintless dent repairs, long-term effects or short-term effects, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old 06-11-2008, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PregoRollerSkate
Compared to the paint jobs you get for 2-3k they still wont hold up against paint from the factory

Actually the $2000 or $3000 paint job is probably better than Scion factory paint.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

PDR in alot of cases is the best way to go, if the paint isn't chipped or cracked, then its a great thing, and depending on the number of dents they are spending anywhere from 2-6k on the PDR, we had the entire roof, hood, both fenders, and the driver's side PDRed at work on an expedition, over 8000 dents, looked better then new when it was done
Old 06-12-2008, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

PDR in alot of cases is the best way to go, if the paint isn't chipped or cracked, then its a great thing, and depending on the number of dents they are spending anywhere from 2-6k on the PDR, we had the entire roof, hood, both fenders, and the driver's side PDRed at work on an expedition, over 8000 dents, looked better then new when it was done
Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

12,900 for used and damaged is waaaaay out of line
Old 06-12-2008, 08:31 PM

some dent repair companies use suction to get the dent's out. MOST companies actually drill a hole into the door,roof or where ever so that they can get their tools in their to push the dent's out. You'll know because in your door jams you will see a bunch of plugs the color of the car.

If their are ton's of dent's be ready for ton's of plugs.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I could almost be talked out of mine for 13

Quick Reply: hail damaged xb - to buy or not to buy