10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tag on the front hurts my soul
Old 11-09-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still waiting for mine to come into the dealers allocation. No news makes me sad, but then again, I haven't sold my tC yet so I guess it isn't all that bad.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

toyota cerritos has 4 rs4.0 i just saw them yesterday..
Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you so much for the pictures, makes me even more inpatient for mine to get here!!! The color is much better then the ones on Scion.com!!! I'm so excited!

Thanx again! But this is why I hate lving in Florida, Cali gets everything first and I'm last!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06B0X
I think it looks good but then I remind myself of the paint issues we already have and matching that paint wouldn't be "fun."
paint matches perfectly...im going to assume its ppg (ppg are the ones who did the 99-00 ford mustang paint change from blue/gree/red/purple bla bla bla) i actually just did a bumper for a guy who has that mustang and the paint matched amazing. so no, paint match is no problem at all. the bodyshop just has to call scion/paint company and have the paint delivered as it comes pre-made.

as for the anybody have one...gladstone toyota (oregon) got one on sunday, and head of scion sales called me the minute she got it and begged me to come down and see it. so i did, it looks ALOT better than the photos. i didnt like thecolor in photos but in real life under the sun its an awesome color. i almost traded my xB in right then and there for it...as she asked me if i wanted first dibs at it... but i declined. it was number 367 or something like that.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, the paint is Maziora from Nippon Paint. It is a multilayer paint that seems to require special application. Discussed endlessly here on ScionLife in the months leading up to the release of the 4.0...

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...z_maziora.html
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
No, the paint is Maziora from Nippon Paint. It is a multilayer paint that seems to require special application. Discussed endlessly here on ScionLife in the months leading up to the release of the 4.0...

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...z_maziora.html
ChromaFlair is the registered trademark for a pigment created by JDS Uniphase Flex Products Group in Santa Rosa, California. It is used in paint systems, for example those of Du Pont and PPG, and when the paint is applied, it changes colour depending on the light source and viewing angle.

The paint system (and competing versions made by other companies) are known by a vast variety of proprietary names, including Chameleon Colors, ChromaLusion, ChromaPremier, ColourShift, Exclusive Line, Extreme Colors, Harlequin Color, IllusionColor, Kameleon Kolors, Maziora, MultiTones, MystiChrome and Paradis Spectrashine.

The effect is achieved by interfering with the reflection and refraction of light from the painted object's surface. The paint contains tiny synthetic flakes about one micrometre thick. The flakes are constructed of aluminium coated with glass-like magnesium fluoride embedded in semi-translucent chrome. The aluminium and chrome gives the paint a vibrant metallic sparkle, while the glass-like coating acts like a refracting prism, changing the apparent colour of the surface as the observer moves around. Interestingly, ChromaFlair paints contain no conventional absorbing pigments, rather it is a "light interference pigment": the colour we observe is created entirely by the refractive properties of the flakes (analogous to how we perceive rainbow colours in oil slicks).

The ChromaFlair pigment is available in thousands of different colour variations. It is usually applied to items whose visual appeal is considered important — such as motor vehicles, electric guitars and computer case mods.

In addition to paint, it can applied as a coating (for example on synthetic polyurethane leather), or dispersed in a resin for injection molding.

That right there shows the proof that there is no "special" way to spray this color. it is the same thing as Du Ponts chromalusion. I PERSONALLY just sprayed a color on a 2004 Ford Mustang that does the exact same thing shown here...

the only thing different about this paint and regular paint...is a bodyshop can not mix it them selves. we have to call our paint supplier (sherwin williams) and they will mix the paint and then bring us exactly enough to do whatever we need. and then they take any excess paint back with them. there is no special way to spray this, no layers, no special gun. just like regular old paint there is just special particles and such in the paint that make it change...[/b]
Old 11-10-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default paint knowlage

Thanks for the paint knowlage Nick
The paint contains tiny synthetic flakes about one micrometre thick. The flakes are constructed of aluminium coated with glass-like magnesium fluoride embedded in semi-translucent chrome. The aluminium and chrome gives the paint a vibrant metallic sparkle, while the glass-like coating acts like a refracting prism, changing the apparent colour of the surface as the observer moves around.
I will study and use this line very fluently with my unsuspecting Scion sales person, and future curious onlookers. I love it!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

toyota dealership i work at we got one about 2 weeks ago and it sold right away. cool car i got to pdi it cuz im the scion buff in the shop.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, thank you honeyObucket, GREAT knowledge! And I'm really starting to hate lving in Florida, it's not fair, how much longer does Southeast Toyota have to wait for our shipment, lol. I know it's farther, I guess having to go thru Panama Canal to get to Jacksonville, but I want mine now!!! I've even searched for spy shots of Jacksonville port, hoping to see them parked there like I found for the RS3.0. But, actually, knowing my luck, mine will be here in next 2 days, while hubby is at a car show in Orlando. We're trading our 2006 Tundra in on the RS4.0 and he has to take rims and system out still and won't be around to do it.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

but with a color shift paint you just cant color match..you have to put down the color layers in the same order or it will look odd. so if anything happens on this i think you have to get the whole car repainted..
Old 11-10-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CHPRBOX8
but with a color shift paint you just cant color match..you have to put down the color layers in the same order or it will look odd. so if anything happens on this i think you have to get the whole car repainted..
it was just established a few posts up, that its not sprayed in layers, its put on just like regular paint!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sorry about that i did not read the post above mine
Old 11-10-2006, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CHPRBOX8
sorry about that i did not read the post above mine
lol no worries. alot of people think that same thing, where in actuality the only colors that are sprayed in layers (to my knowelge and what i've painted so far) are called tri-coats...which is basicly just three layers of base(color) on top of eachother to make a specific color and shimer. but thats not the case with the 4.0. its just super duper secret on how they make the color.

It is frusterating that the paint company has to mix it..then bring it over, and literally the guy follows you everywhere you go when your spraying one of these colors. he followed me into the booth while i sprayed it. when i was done he took my gun and cleaned it for me and then took all the excess paint with him when he left. they are very very protective of this stuff. then again, that could be why its a pretty penny to get if you want some yourself.

if anybody has any more questions about the paint and such, feel free to ask as i'll answer everything i have to my knowelge, if i dont know, ill find out
Old 11-10-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think part of the mis-conception of the color shifting paint (in all its various names/producers etc) is that the average person can walk into a store like target/walmart/fredmyers/shucks/autozone etc etc.... and they sell spray paint that achieves the same effect. last i saw it still comes in a 3 can package for the DIY'rs
can 1) flat black base coat
can 2) Color shifting coat
can 3) Clear Coat....

i have used them before on a computer case and a walking cane.... and to apply them you go in order cans 1,2,3 ... the more of can 2 you put on the more the intense color change effect (allegedly).
Old 11-10-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kkawana
I think part of the mis-conception of the color shifting paint (in all its various names/producers etc) is that the average person can walk into a store like target/walmart/fredmyers/shucks/autozone etc etc.... and they sell spray paint that achieves the same effect. last i saw it still comes in a 3 can package for the DIY'rs
can 1) flat black base coat
can 2) Color shifting coat
can 3) Clear Coat....

i have used them before on a computer case and a walking cane.... and to apply them you go in order cans 1,2,3 ... the more of can 2 you put on the more the intense color change effect (allegedly).
you do have a valid point there mr. kk. you do put a dark base i.e. black/dark blue on for that mustang color...i would assume for the maziora it is darker brown/orangish color down first.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got my RS4 last night in Colorado, Stevenson Scion,
Burt Toyota also order me one. It is Still for sale at Burt Toyota, Call John @ 720-206-4823. I Love it so, so much,
it is everything I expected, Color even nicer live....Berly
Old 11-14-2006, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member

Does anyone have a clue when the Southeast will get these? I'm in North Alabama and haven't a clue when it will get here.
David
Old 11-14-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Saw one in person last night. fresh off the truck, with no bumper, plastic etc. I was considering a trade, but meh. I wasn't that taken by it in person.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

toybox631~I am also in Southeast Toyota, still waiting for mine. My dealership has absolutely no idea whne they are coming yet, let alone if I get one of the first 12 coming in. This is driving me crazy, I want my new baby! They have one in Louisiana, but I'm not driving that far, lol.

Quick Reply: HAS ANYBODY PICKED UP A RS4.0 XB YET