Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Has anyone installed a CB radio in thier Box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone installed a CB radio in thier Box?

I drive an 18 wheeler locally here in Dallas/Ft. Worth and I wouldnt be caught dead without a CB radio while im on the road...you can avoid/get around accidents, ask for directions and find out where the speedtraps are just by turning your radio to channel 19 and asking for info

I want to put a CB in my xB for the same reasons but I have a question...where would I mount a 12-16 inch antenna...I'm pretty sure I'd have to drill a hole for it, I'm not into those magnet mount antennas where you have to run the coax through your window...any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-15-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-22-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I had one mounted on my gas door for awhile but the radio was to big to mount anywhere so I put a carbon fiber cover over the hole when I removed the ball mount.
When I can come across a good small radio that will drive I will reinstall the antenna.And get a bigger alternator if you know what I mean.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kzhorse/...803452688850/4

Scott
Old 11-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Banned
SL Member

^^^ nothing like pushing your radio with a heater.

BTW ... i know there is a photo shop pic of a xB rig on here somewhere. Dual stacks ... sun visor ... and grab handles on the sides. Get some side mount mirrors and run duals off them. LOL
Old 11-23-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Roger that on the bigger alternator kz, lol. I have a handheld in my xb right now, it doesn't get out too far but it picks up pretty good. I commute 90 miles a day so I just need a small radio to keep an eye on the bears. Something like this >>>

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

I'd like to use as small of an antenna as I can, I like your fuel door mount idea, better to drill a hole there than somewhere on the body of the car.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

you could get a mount and screw the mount using a few small screws into the hatch
Old 11-23-2006, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did take my rear wiper out, the hole is 3/4". I'm a little concerned though about opening and closing the hatch with an antenna installed on it, I use my hatch alot, the antenna would take a beating.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do CB radios still exist? Sorry a little humor from a Ham Radio Operator,

73's

John

kg6kwx-San Clemente,CA
Old 11-23-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

[quote="jallamas"]Do CB radios still exist? Sorry a little humor from a Ham Radio Operator,

I dont take that as being funny,As that is where most get there start.

Scott/W3KZH
Old 11-23-2006, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="kzhorse"]
Originally Posted by jallamas

Scott/W3KZH
It was not meant to be offensive! Just a little humor, do not take it personally! I still own a sideband and use it often!

John/kg6kwx
Old 11-23-2006, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: has anyone installed a cb radio in thier box?

Originally Posted by ICE4ROG
I drive an 18 wheeler locally here in Dallas/Ft. Worth and I wouldnt be caught dead without a cb radio while im on the road...you can avoid/get around accidents, ask for directions and find out where the speedtraps are just by turning your radio to channel 19 and asking for info

I want to put a cb in my Xb for the same reasons but I have a question...where would I mount a 12-16 inch antenna...I'm pretty sure I'd have to drill a hole for it, I'm not into those magnet mount antennas where you have to run the coax through your window...any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
Run a mag mount on the back hatch and run the wire through the hatch at the top like the sirrus sat. radio antennas.

John
Old 11-23-2006, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I've got a radioshack cb in my truck, and a high powered amplifier, I can talk to people three states over
Old 11-23-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaj2002
I've got a radioshack cb in my truck, and a high powered amplifier, I can talk to people three states over
Does the amp mess with the car at all?How manny watts ?
I have a sweet16 that I would like to run but not enough power from the small alternator.I was thinking of traiding it for a smaller radio and a 667 or dx500.

Scott
Old 11-23-2006, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

its in my truck, not my box
Old 11-23-2006, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I removed my rear wiper because I dont use it...if I also remove the rear spray nozzle the hole might be a perfect place to mount the antenna, thanks.

LOL on the ham radio humor...keep the ideas coming, does anyone know how a glass mount antenna works, you dont drill a hole in the glass do you? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="jallamas"]
Originally Posted by kzhorse
Originally Posted by jallamas

Scott/W3KZH
It was not meant to be offensive! Just a little humor, do not take it personally! I still own a sideband and use it often!

John/kg6kwx
As a son of a ham radio operator, I have many memories of various home brew boxes attached under/on the dash of our family vehicles. And the giant "whip" antenna.

And when my dad went on at home, you could forget about watching T.V.!!

Now I look at my kids with their cell phones. Wow we've come a long way in 30+ years!
Old 11-23-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a son of a ham radio operator, I have many memories of various home brew boxes attached under/on the dash of our family vehicles. And the giant "whip" antenna.
lol, I remeber those days too...I want my cb to be small like this one...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

I want it mounted out of site somehow...and I want the antenna to be as easy on the eyes as possible, no long whip antennas like in the old days, lol, a short antenna mounted in the least conspicuous place.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

You'd said that you don't want to run a wire through the window. Is this because you'll need to be able to open all 4 windows at any time?

If not, maybe consider a window-clip mount. It is a metal bracket that slips over the window glass and still allows the window to close fully. Gets all but 4 inches of the whip up past the roofline. Use a no-groundplane antenna, of course.

I use the following one for my scanner:
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-310
I think everhardt makes one for a 3/8"-24 mount with pl259 connector, if you're a firestik fan.

No problems with windnoise, and it pops right off when I don't want to announce that I have extra RF gear inside.

Regarding thru-glass mounts, all the reviews I've seen say that it marginal for vhf/uhf reception, and unsuitable for hf work. Still, they are available, and anything has to be an improvement over using a handheld cb from within the chassis. Real concern would be interfering with the in-glass FM antennas, or the defroster elements.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd said that you don't want to run a wire through the window. Is this because you'll need to be able to open all 4 windows at any time?
I'm really trying to stay away from the "temporary antenna" look. You mentioned that anything would be better than using a handheld inside the chassis...a handheld is what I've been using in my box, it doesnt get out too far but I'm more of a listener than a talker, I wish I could find a small, cool looking antenna (like a small firestick) that I can use with a small cb radio...I'm not afraid to drill a hole to mount it but I do want the antenna to be located where it will work good enough to get me accident info and speedtrap info and still look more like an audio antenna than a cb antenna...I want to use an antenna similar to the antenna on my handheld, short and stubby. Thanks for the pics too!
Old 11-25-2006, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After looking at my rear nozzle and how it runs inside the xb...I'd like to remove the nozzle and the tubing (or at least plug the tubing) and run some coax to where the nozzle was and mount a small (6-8") antenna for a cb...any thoughts?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

It you dont need to talk alot why dont you get a adapter that uses the radio antenna?They are tuneable and do pretty good for a mile or so for transmit.

Scott

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a CB radio in thier Box?