Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Has anyone installed a CB radio in thier Box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It you dont need to talk alot why dont you get a adapter that uses the radio antenna?They are tuneable and do pretty good for a mile or so for transmit.
I have an 06 xb and there is no traditional car radio antenna that I can see..would you know how to hook up the adapter?

Until I figure out my final solution I went ahead and purchased this for my cobra handheld:
http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=...ct_id=362&id=1
Old 11-25-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

It should work with the in glass antenna.
Here is a place that sells them cheap enough.

http://www.walcottcb.com/index.php?cPath=155

Scott
Old 11-25-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Have you read through some of the technical articles at the firestik website?
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Granted, they may be biased, as the product of a single manufacturer, but it seems to address several of the topics that have come up:
Why they don't like FM/CB antenna couplers
Thru-glass antenna mounts
Hole-drilling
Roof-rack mounting

Good description of RF theory vs practical application. For example, the roof-center permanent mount is the ideal reference location, but barring that, any location that gets 60% of the whip up past the roofline is recommended for acceptable omni-directional performance. In general though, within the 27MHz band, there don't seem to be many antenna design tricks that can replace whip size.
This pdf describes signal degradation for a sedan-shaped car; while the numbers probably don't apply to CB lowband, the relative differences do:
http://www.radialllarsen.com/docfile...obileIntro.pdf

Except for the hole-drilling, the other ideas are mostly reversible. You might want to try them out one at a time to compare. For example, the rubber-duck mounted in the rear washer arm hole seems like it would be poor receiver, due to it's height and proximity to metallic defroster elements, as well as an incredibly inefficient transmitter when radiating forward, but if you won't be talking much, and many of the other drivers are using amps, it might not be an issue, and might still beat the same antenna operating from within the cab.

For the record, I just slap a Wilson mag-mount on my roof, center forward of the roof-ribs, when I'm taking a roadtrip. It's attached to a handheld Cobra running on AA batteries to minimize power noise.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the suggestions and links...I'm checking them out right now.

Probably more questions forthcoming, thanks again.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im really curious to know if the antenna splitter would meet my needs, that would be the best solution for me.

For example, the rubber-duck mounted in the rear washer arm hole seems like it would be poor receiver, due to it's height and proximity to metallic defroster elements, as well as an incredibly inefficient transmitter when radiating forward, but if you won't be talking much, and many of the other drivers are using amps, it might not be an issue, and might still beat the same antenna operating from within the cab.
I have already removed the rear washer arm and have plugged the hole with a grommet and a nickel pressed into the grommet hole (it's temporary until I figure out what I want to put there) I want to remove the rear spray nozzle near the top of the hatch to install a rubber-duckie, I suppose that is my 2nd choice if the antenna splitter is a no go. Do you think the nozzle hole near the top of the hatch would be a decent mounting spot for reception/transmit?
Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

just don't open the hatch mutch might beat the crap outa your roof
Old 11-26-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
^^^ nothing like pushing your radio with a heater.

BTW ... i know there is a photo shop pic of a xB rig on here somewhere. Dual stacks ... sun visor ... and grab handles on the sides. Get some side mount mirrors and run duals off them. LOL

;)
Old 11-26-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

thats actually pretty cool
Old 11-26-2006, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ah, I'd mis-read your post about mounting on the rear hatch. If you can find a mount for the nozzle hole, that spot is fine for CB operation. The rubber-duckie antenna would be the limiting factor; performance similar to holding the handheld outside at the height of the nozzle.

With the antenna straight up, it looks like you'd be able to use a 18-24" whip without smacking the roof when opening the hatch, longer if you tilt it back.

Don't know anyone who uses an FM antenna coupler, so I defer to firestik's opinion, which is based on having an external mast in any case.

Originally Posted by ICE4ROG
Im really curious to know if the antenna splitter would meet my needs, that would be the best solution for me.

I have already removed the rear washer arm and have plugged the hole with a grommet and a nickel pressed into the grommet hole (it's temporary until I figure out what I want to put there) I want to remove the rear spray nozzle near the top of the hatch to install a rubber-duckie, I suppose that is my 2nd choice if the antenna splitter is a no go. Do you think the nozzle hole near the top of the hatch would be a decent mounting spot for reception/transmit?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I hate digging up an old thread...but it seems there are no radio enthusiasts with tCs. I figured I would at least come over and say hi.

I am new to the radio world (Tx radios) and am planning/building my first install. People say there is better equipment and better ideas out there, but I figured if this ends up like some of my other "hobbies" I will be happy I didnt spend TOO much right away.

I've read through a lot of theories and ideas. So..eventually I will do a thread over in tC area...but figured I would soak up some info from you guys.

OH..and don't laugh but all I got was a CB setup started. No ham or anything...

Also..any antenna mounting suggestions on the tC? Looking for a way to not advertise tech stuff in the car (everything else is install in a stealth manner). So..magnetic mount would be nice..no drilling and no permanent fixture. I bought the Lil' Wil because it was the highest recommended small, moveable antenna. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: has anyone installed a cb radio in thier box?

Originally Posted by jallamas
..where would I mount a 12-16 inch antenna...I'm pretty sure I'd have to drill a hole for it, I'm not into those magnet mount antennas where you have to run the coax through your window...
Run a mag mount on the back hatch and run the wire through the hatch at the top like the sirrus sat. radio antennas....
That's what I did on my Rabbit back at the height of the CB craze. Planted the magnetic-base antenna on the back of the roof, a perfect ground plane, and ran the cable through the top of the hatch so that only a foot or so was exposed, centered in the middle of the roof. The soft rubber hatch gasket let the cable pass across it easily and the watertightness was not affected.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put a mag mount Wilson 1000 w/18' coax in your box. I put in my Cobra 25 w/ that set-up and placed the mount center/rear/top w/ enough clearance for the hatch to open. I ran the coax in the opening and ran it along the edge of the carpet all along the passenger side to the center console. I gutted the "oven door" cubby hole and put the radio there. It does protrude 2 inches more than desired, but it was my spare radio. There are lots of threads detailing dash work, so get busy. The tall antenna tops 11' mark on the nose. Now my ride looks like a remote control car. I painted the base of antenna to match color in order to tone it down. I have photos, but I do not know how to place on this world wide web thingy.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also power the c.b. with cig plug on the end of the wire. I installed a 3 hole power port directly from the battery. Those wires will eventually be used for hooking up my Silver Eagle 200 to the c.b.
Let me know if I can help.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, another thought just came up. My c.b. guru said to be careful on mounting to the hatch. He mentioned poor ground via the hinges. Run a ground wire separate if you need to....
Old 05-26-2007, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Duh, I just noticed the original post is over 6 months old.

ooops
Old 05-26-2007, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I stuck to my original idea of using my handheld cobra, I purchased a mag mount antenna (8" long), it plugs into the same plug that my handheld antenna plugs into, the coax is 10-12 feet long, I removed my rear spray nozzle and plugged the wiper fluid tube. The mag mount sits right on top of the hatch, the coax runs through the rear nozzle hole, under the headliner, and comes out to the right near the passenger side sun visor (whats cool is I was able to buy a custom made overhead shelf for the xb), my handheld is velcroed to the top shelf with the exterior antenna plugged into it). When I go to work and hop in my truck I just unplug the exterior antenna grab the handheld and its original antenna and go.

The setup I have will also work if you want to use a mobile cb...I saw an 8" chrome mag mount that you can run under the headliner too, you can mount a small cb somewhere under the dash.

If anyone is interested I could take a couple of pics of my setup.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Originally Posted by wbw6cos
Sorry, another thought just came up. My c.b. guru said to be careful on mounting to the hatch. He mentioned poor ground via the hinges. Run a ground wire separate if you need to....
Is this to me or the OP?

..I was semi afraid of the ground plane being too small in the sense that the hinges are the only connecting point to the main body (besides where the weather striping and plastic lays on when closed).

My tC doesnt seem to have much of a choice of wiring options for an antenna without drilling. I really really dont want to drill my car's metal.

I could also use a trunk mount antenna mount but I would think the ground problem would be the same situation.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crabbyman
Originally Posted by wbw6cos
Is this to me or the OP?

..I was semi afraid of the ground plane being too small in the sense that the hinges are the only connecting point to the main body (besides where the weather striping and plastic lays on when closed).

My tC doesnt seem to have much of a choice of wiring options for an antenna without drilling. I really really dont want to drill my car's metal.

I could also use a trunk mount antenna mount but I would think the ground problem would be the same situation.
Sorry, I was talking xB hatch. He mentioned the coating on the hinge itself or something along those lines limiting the ground i.e. non-conductive. I do not know the exact make up of the hinge itself, so I did not bother to worry,.one way to check is with a continuity meter of sort and verify a good ground for tC trunk. I think my set-up is fine enough not to burn out the radio prematurely. Besides, I just turn it on when I need it, so major transmitting is really not an issue. Hope it helps...
Old 05-26-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I stuck to my original idea of using my handheld cobra, I purchased a mag mount antenna (8" long), it plugs into the same plug that my handheld antenna plugs into, the coax is 10-12 feet long, I removed my rear spray nozzle and plugged the wiper fluid tube. The mag mount sits right on top of the hatch, the coax runs through the rear nozzle hole, under the headliner, and comes out to the right near the passenger side sun visor (whats cool is I was able to buy a custom made overhead shelf for the xb), my handheld is velcroed to the top shelf with the exterior antenna plugged into it). When I go to work and hop in my truck I just unplug the exterior antenna grab the handheld and its original antenna and go.

The setup I have will also work if you want to use a mobile cb...I saw an 8" chrome mag mount that you can run under the headliner too, you can mount a small cb somewhere under the dash.

If anyone is interested I could take a couple of pics of my setup.
I would love to see a pic or two of your set-up. If i ever can figure out how to I can post one myself..[/img]
Old 05-27-2007, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I put a CB in mine only when taking a long trip. It helps avoid cops and long traffic back ups mostly. I use a CL plug and a roof mounted magnet antenna with a piece of masking tape under it to protect the paint.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a CB radio in thier Box?