Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Heater Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Heater Doesn't Work

I just got my xB back from the body shop yesterday (since I was the victim of a hit and run).

I didn't park in the garage last night so my car was cold this morning...about 40 degrees outside.

I got in a drove down the road for about 2-3 minutes, the blue light went off, so I turned the heater on. I blew really cold air out. I tried every combination possible to get the heat to work, but nothing happened. I drove for 30 minutes and it was still blowing cold air.

I tried turning the temp. **** to cold and back to hot to see if it made any difference at all, but nothing seemed to help.

On a separate note, the temp. **** seems to be messed up anyway. It will not let you turn it all the way to the left or all the way to the right. It springs back about 1/4 of the way.

The A/C worked fine all summer long. It's a brand new box with only 8,000 miles on it. This is the first time I have tried using the heater.

Any ideas???

I just hate the thought of having to drop it off at another shop since I just got it back.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

not sure if this is what it is...but the only thing i can think of is ur heater core being broken? I would take it back to that shop...maybe they had something to do with it? Anywho...hope you get that fixed.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the control **** won't adjust, sounds like the flap/swash plate is stuck in a closed position. Possibly shifted due to the accident?
If you know how to access your air filter, see if you can lift/move the flap manually.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Heater Doesn't Work

Originally Posted by boxful
On a separate note, the temp. **** seems to be messed up anyway. It will not let you turn it all the way to the left or all the way to the right. It springs back about 1/4 of the way.
i dont think that is really a separate issue. my **** doesnt spring back anywhere..
Old 10-29-2005, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I had this problem have them pull the dash off and check the blender..that regulates the mix of air
Old 10-29-2005, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member

i have the same exact problem. i need to know how to fix this as well!
Old 10-29-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

see above
Old 10-29-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like the thermostat is stuck. or missing. usually if the heater coil goes bad, there is water on the passenger side foot area.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had the same problem but only turning to heat. I took the ac controls out and found that the push rod was bent. The rod has a ring that secures it to the temp control ****. The shielding around the rod is secured to the base the controls are mounted to. I took the rod and shield off and bent the rod back straight. Mine bent because I had my XM on top of the other end of the rod.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We'll see what the dealership has to say about it...I dropped it off this morning. Hopefully it will be ready this afternoon.

This problem is NOT related to the wreck. The temp. control **** has been doing this for about 2 mos. now. The damage to my car was on the driver's side rear of the vehicle...shouldn't have affected the heater at all.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FoDoToaster
I had the same problem but only turning to heat. I took the ac controls out and found that the push rod was bent. The rod has a ring that secures it to the temp control ****. The shielding around the rod is secured to the base the controls are mounted to. I took the rod and shield off and bent the rod back straight. Mine bent because I had my XM on top of the other end of the rod.
You are right!

Man I love this site!

The dealership called me back yesterday and told me whoever installed my head unit crammed everything into the dash and it bent the rod.

I called Tweeter (they installed it) and explained the problem to them. The install manager said that I would have to pay for it and then submit my receipts to them and I could get a refund. The install manager didn't believe the service advisor and said he thought the dealership was wrongfully accusing Tweeter.

Of course the dealership didn't have the part in stock and said it would be Wed. before I could get my ride back. I asked the service advisor if he could just bend the existing rod back into shape, but he said that it probably wouldn't work.

Estimated cost: labor-$150 part-$25
Old 11-01-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the problem started after the stereo install and you paid for it with a credit card call tell Tweeter you are calling your credit card company and they can get your money back. The install manager at tweeter should go to your dealership and look at it before he makes a statement like that. At least that would be the right thing to do but I know how these companies are. Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang son...you've had a rash of bad luck lately!
Can the dealer bent it straight until the new part comes in?
At least it isn't real cold this week...

How'd the repair from the hit & run turn out?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
Dang son...you've had a rash of bad luck lately!
Can the dealer bent it straight until the new part comes in?
At least it isn't real cold this week...

How'd the repair from the hit & run turn out?
Yes...my bad luck seems to run in groups of 3.

I told the dealer to keep it until it is fixed. Tweeter offered to reimburse me for a rental, but I have the in-laws vehicle.

The repair turned out great...I applaud the guys in Alabaster--Professional Paint and Body.

I'm considering selling my xB, buying a beater car and a beater 4X4. Want to eliminate all car payments.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't you dare leave the family!!!!
I went the disposeable car route for a while, it's nice to have a car that we can hop in and take off for the weekend.