Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Help with that "click" shifting to and from park

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member

Default Help with that "click" shifting to and from park

Howdy,

I've had my '06 xB for about seven months now without a hitch. As of today though, I had the "click" issue arrive in my car. If you are unfamiliar with it, whenever you press the break and take the car out of park/put into park, there is a click which comes from the center console. You can feel it in the shifter when you press down on the break. Now, I searched on the boards and noticed people confirming what I thought it was. However, I'm wondering if this could be a potential problem or not. Is this a widespread occurance? This is the first day this has ever happened (nor did it happen in my Focus). I haven't done anything (or added anything) to the car, so it makes me wonder. More importantly, has anyone had anything happen because of this (car stuck in park, etc)?

I'm kind of paranoid about it at this point since I'm moving to another state at the end of the month. Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. I've been trolling the boards for awhile now. Thanks for the insight to the box! All of the information really helped me in narrowing down my search for a new car.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

{STANDARD UNHELPFUL FIRST RESPONSE FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT CARS}

I thought that was something that ALL cars did. I had a Blazer and a Tracer before that, and they both did it. My '05 xB does it, too. I was under the impression that the clicking noise was the sound of the gearshift releasing or something. o_0 For all I know, it could be opening the cage of the gerbil who runs on the wheel to power my car, of course, but like I said, never NOT had it.

I'm pretty sure this is no help whatsoever, but look at it this way: at least you're at the top again!

btw, 'lurking' is when you watch a board but make no posts. 'trolling' is when someone acts like the biggest dickface they can possibly manage in order to start massive internet arguments. posting on a board and telling people you're a troll is a lot like walking into a dinner party and announcing that you think the **** party had some pretty decent ideas. cheers! :D
Old 01-09-2007, 05:21 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a lockout that requires the brake to be depressed before the transmission can be moved from Park, and that CAN get out of adjustment or even fail. There's a little pry-up door to the right of the shifter for you to get into to manually release the interlock if necessary.

The instructions are in the your Owner's Manual.

(The 'click' may be from the interlock solenoid down there - it could even be 'sticking' a little, but I don't recall this being a problem on the box.)

Tom
Old 01-09-2007, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine has always made a clic...never thought much about it...it can be annoying at times now that you mentioned it...lol
Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Found it!! Finally the search field worked..

Just happened to me.. Don't know how to fix it though,
Old 05-26-2008, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

My '04 xB did it from the day I test drove it on the lot, and never became an issue. I always figured it was the usual behavior of the transmission pin unlocking when the brake pedal is depressed.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
There is a lockout that requires the brake to be depressed before the transmission can be moved from Park, and that CAN get out of adjustment or even fail. There's a little pry-up door to the right of the shifter for you to get into to manually release the interlock if necessary.

(The 'click' may be from the interlock solenoid down there - it could even be 'sticking' a little, but I don't recall this being a problem on the box.)

Tom
So I just tried this. And the sound is still there. I tried pushing it down and holding it and the noise disappears but as I release it, the sound comes back. The sound doesn't really bother me, I'm just worried that it might lead to something worse..
Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its called a shift interlock. Prevents the vehicle from being shifted into gear without depressing the brake pedal.

This saftey feature has been engineered into cars because people have successfully sued automakers, becuase they had thier foot on the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal and shifted into drive, killing people, damaging property, etc.....I am sure there was no stupidity involved
Old 05-28-2008, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Scorpius01
Its called a shift interlock. Prevents the vehicle from being shifted into gear without depressing the brake pedal.
Exactly! Our Altima customers complain about this exact same thing, it's normal! Unfortunately, some vehicle's shift interlocks click louder than others...
Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default Had same issue with mine

Like you, I also have a 06 XB and notice every little shimmy and noise and this frustrated me as well...I took mine to two Toyota dealerships and was told it's definiitely nothing to worry about. All they did both times was lubricate underneath the center console which made it stop for a few days and then returned. I've had no other issues or problems and mine started doing it about 6 months ago.. Hope this helps..
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it allows you to shift..... i hear it every now and again but if u stop tryin to hear the click on purpose u wont hear it anymore.... nothing to be worried about had it since day one from May 2004
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<----- Mechanic

It's called a PRND3L Switch. It's a safety switch that prevents the car from being shifted into gear when the brake pedal isnt depressed.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by krispies13
Originally Posted by Tomas

Tom
So I just tried this. And the sound is still there. I tried pushing it down and holding it and the noise disappears but as I release it, the sound comes back. The sound doesn't really bother me, I'm just worried that it might lead to something worse..
The reason you didnt hear it while you were pushing down that little white button was because you were mechanically bypassing the safety switch. That little button that sits under the black cover is there should your car need to be towed or moved and no key is availible or the battery is dead.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

It is just the nature of the beast. If I don't hear the noise I would start to worry.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 PM

so how do you fix the problem? we had this just start yesterday and toyota told me that we needed to replace the simple solenoid that it's connected to. hmmmm $194.00 or just push the little button down....... any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by fairysmom
so how do you fix the problem? we had this just start yesterday and toyota told me that we needed to replace the simple solenoid that it's connected to. hmmmm $194.00 or just push the little button down....... any ideas would be appreciated.
Is the "problem" the noise or not being able to shift out of park?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's been a normal sound for me since day one. Nothing wrong with it.

My bigger problem is from spilling orange juice down there and the sound from that! The plastic slider piece needs to be lubed up.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 PM

it's more of a "concerned that it's going to get worse and not work at all in the near future" kind of thing.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member

Default Perfectly normal

Your "click" is perfectly normal. It's a solenoid that is pulling back when you push the brake pedal. The solenoid engages a safety that prevents the car from being shifted out of Park while the brakes are not depressed.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just have you music on so you wont have to listen to it!

Quick Reply: Help with that "click" shifting to and from park