Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Help! Pregnant in Arizona with no A/C!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 AM

Default Help! Pregnant in Arizona with no A/C!!!!

Hi all,

I have read several threads dealing with my exact issue, but with no follow up by the owners. I am desperate for help with this one as I am currently 8 months pregnant and it is well over 100 degrees here. The air conditioning blows hot and cold intermittently. Mostly hot. It tends to blow cold when I am stopped or going very slowly. Then longer and faster I drive the hotter it gets.

Please take note, I have taken it to both my mechanic and the dealer. My mechanic charged it, topped off all the important liquids and replaced the expansion valve. This cost me $350 that I don't have and it did nothing for the problem. The dealer was unable to find anything wrong. Most frustrating. Now my mechanic wants to replace the compressor and accompanying parts at a charge of $1,100. I have known my mechanic for quite some time and have no reason to think that he and his shop are anything but honest. However, the fan and compressor appear to be working fine, and I have a gut feeling that this may not be the root of the problem. I cannot go without air conditioning and I can't afford an expensive repair that doesn't work.

If you have experienced a similar problem please answer!

Just a recap-already charged, dyed and checked for leaks, and topped off with coolant freon etc. so those are not the problem here
Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could be an electronic problem. I had a previous car (not a Scion) that would do something similar and it ended up being some sort of control board. The board eventually got worse and killed my fuel pump as well, but that is another story.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IDK if you got your AC fixed or not. It doesn't make any sense why it wouldn't work with what was done to it. Your mechanic needs to go for a long test drive in it. It sounds like an electrical problem, like a relay failure that shows up under load, but not in the shop.

OP, you can get along fine w/o AC. I lived in Tucson in the late '60s-early '70s, and owned 3 cars w/o AC. We tried to do our shopping after sunset, when things were cooling down. I finally had an aftermarket AC put into our main driver, but ACs weren't very efficient 45 years ago. By the time the inside of the car cooled down, we were usually halfway to our destination across town.

BTW, my wife was 8 months pregnant when we moved to AZ. She and our daughter did fine w/o AC in our cars.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I had my 2001 Mustang GT I remember going through hell fixing the A/C. I replaced all lines, compressor, accumulator and sensor. I finally replaced the Evaporator core that sits behind the passenger side dash and it worked for 3 weeks then the A/C compressor wouldn't cycle anymore. Finally months after running with no A/C a ASE certified Master Tech who works at AUDI told me to replace the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) and FINALLY I had cold A/C

This is what the CCRM looks like on the Mustang. Its a bunch or relays hiding under the passenger side fender