First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

HELP: Unlocking 2005 xB sets off Panic "feature"

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default HELP: Unlocking 2005 xB sets off Panic "feature"

Hi,

I have a 2005 xB. It has the factory stock security system installed but NO ALARM. About 1 in 5 times attempting to unlock the car will set off the horn honking (just like if you press the panic button on the keyless remote). I have tried a second keyless remote with the same results. I have cleared both remotes and reprogrammed both to the car with the same results. Has anyone else run into this and is there a solution? It seems the problem is with the car itself. Or alternatively is there any way to disable the panic "feature"?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you possibly have what is known as "sausage" fingers?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

how do you grab the remote? I know that when I first went from the good ol GM remote keyless to the yota I would set it off all the time because that button had to be on the back of the keypad
Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 AM

Default ME TOO..

SUP HOMIE.. I HAVE A 06' BOX AND HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM, WAS SOO EMBARASSING HAVING IT GO OFF ALL THE TIME, I TOOK IT TO THE DEALERSHIP 3 TIMES AND EVERYTIME THEY TRIED UNLOCKING AND LOCKING THE DOORS WITH THE REMOTE IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN, BUT OF COURSE WHEN I GET THE CAR BACK IT WOULD GO OFF, I GOT SOO ____ED THAT I STOPPED USING THE REMOTES AND STARTED LOCKING/UNLOCKING THE DOORS BY JUST USING THE KEY IN THE DOOR. THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IT BEING IS WHEN YOU UNLOCK THE DOORS WITH THE REMOTE THE SECURITY SYSTEM MUST THINK THAT YOUR OPENING THE DOORS FROM THE INSIDE (FOR EXAMPLE: SIT IN THE CAR AND LOCK THE DOORS WITH REMOTE, THEN TRY TO UNLOCK THE DOORS BY PRESSING THE UNLOCK BUTTON ON THE DOOR PANEL AND THE ALARM WILL GO OFF) I HOPE THIS HELPS?? IF YOU EVER FIGURE OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, LET ME KNOW.. GOOD LUCK HOMIE..
Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

> how do you grab the remote?

I thought of this too so at first I paid very close attention to how I held the remote and on more than one occasion when the panic went off my finger was nowhere near the panic button. But just in case the button was flakey I actually completely disabled the panic button in the remote so that there was no way I could press it (I pulled the metal contact out). Same issue still. Switched to a different remote altogether and same issue. Its not the remote or user error causing the problem here (though I wish it was - it'd be easier to figure out).

> SIT IN THE CAR AND LOCK THE DOORS WITH REMOTE, THEN TRY TO UNLOCK THE DOORS BY PRESSING THE UNLOCK BUTTON ON THE DOOR PANEL AND THE ALARM WILL GO OFF

Hmm, not sure if this helps yet but it gives me some ideas to try. If I figure it out I'll post here. Meanwhile if anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: ME TOO..

Originally Posted by JAPBOI_03
Sup homie.. I have a 06' box and had the exact same problem. It was so embarassing having it go off all the time. I took it to the dealership three times and everytime they tried unlocking and locking the doors with the remote it would never happen. When i got the car back it would go off. I got so ____ed that i stopped using the remotes and started locking/unlocking the doors by just using the key in the door. The only thing it might be is when you unlock the doors with the remote the security system must think you are opening the doors from the inside. For example: sit in the car and lock the doors with remote, then try to unlock the doors by pressing the unlock button on the door panel and the alarm will go off. I hope this helps?? If you ever figure out what the problem is, let me know.. good luck homie..
Dude... I soo haid to totally rewrite that LOLCATS into normal speeks so othurs culd hear it. Mights wanna try this mod, is hella rocsaws:

</openwound-lemon&sault=pain>
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default Re: ME TOO..

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
Dude... I soo haid to totally rewrite that LOLCATS into normal speeks so othurs culd hear it. Mights wanna try this mod, is hella rocsaws

This is why we keep you around... you go all Grammar **** on teh noobs
Old 07-14-2009, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

I am too 1337 for LOLCATS. Now LOLCODE on the other hand, I HAS YES!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had another thought - does anyone know where the receiver to unlock the doors is in the xB? I wonder if I can find something there if it's not too hard to get to.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by planetmess
I had another thought - does anyone know where the receiver to unlock the doors is in the xB? I wonder if I can find something there if it's not too hard to get to.
http://trdsparks.com/install/08586-52960inst.pdf
Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Try removing your battery terminals for a good hour to reset the computer. Remember, positive negative, then negative positive.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SKYSTHALIMIT
Try removing your battery terminals for a good hour to reset the computer. Remember, positive negative, then negative positive.
isn't it 'negative positive to remove, then positive negative to install'?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The receiver and door lock control unit are just under the speedo, and can be reached by pulling the speedo cluster.

See the Scion Docs link in my sig...
Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The receiver and door lock control unit are just under the speedo, and can be reached by pulling the speedo cluster.

See the Scion Docs link in my sig...
Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I see the door lock control unit but I'm not sure which one is the receiver. I see a red box to the left of the door control unit - is that it?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hawaiiguy
the whole point is so that an accidental ground isn't introduced to the circuit. if you take off the negative first and then set the lead aside to take the positive lead off, the negative battery cable may droop down and accidentally touch the frame or somewhere that will complete the ground. that's when you get KAPOW!

remove the positive first and install the negative first so that there is no chance of an unexpected short circuit.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by snowromance
Originally Posted by hawaiiguy
the whole point is so that an accidental ground isn't introduced to the circuit. if you take off the negative first and then set the lead aside to take the positive lead off, the negative battery cable may droop down and accidentally touch the frame or somewhere that will complete the ground. that's when you get KAPOW!.
That's why you take the negative off first. You need to remove the negative lead from the post of the battery and move it somewhere that it won't contact that post anymore. Then your battery is totally isolated from ground and touching anything positive won't accidentally make a short to the negative via ground. So "negative positive to remove and positive negative to install" is correct.