First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Highway driving in a xB

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Highway driving in a xB

Okay folks, I need some input. I bought a '05 xA about a month ago, and I freakin' LOVE it. I've owned lots of other vehicles in my life (sports cars, luxury cars, jeeps, trucks and SUVs) and I can honestly say that the xA is my all-time favorite. There's just something about this cool little car! Anyhow, in about two years or less, we will be replacing my wife's car. I'd gladly buy another xA, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be practicle. We need at least one vehicle with a little more cargo room. That brings me to the xB. My wife and I both love the xB's "huge" interior room, and it's quirky looks have grown on both of us. She's actually gone from "Eeew...that's ugly" to "Ya know, I do kinda like it. Maybe I'll get one next". Based on my experience with my xA so far, I'd love to buy another Scion. The only hesitation I have about the xB, is it's highway performance. I've read other posts where xB owners have said they are so underpowered, that they might think about selling it. I'm not interested in doing 100 mph down the highway, but it should have enough power to pass and merge safely. Any input from xB owners on highway performance? -Thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

xB is a little bouncy on the highway but not horrible, I have had mine since last august and would say all and all it is a pretty comfortable car.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by javastan
xB is a little bouncy on the highway but not horrible, I have had mine since last august and would say all and all it is a pretty comfortable car.
Yeah, I didn't really expect it to ride like a Lexus because of the short wheelbase and all. I'm more worried about it's power (or lack there of). Has that been an issue? Thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

test drive one! only way to really see what you think about the xB
Old 01-12-2005, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

I dont think it bounces on the highway at all. We just drove 8 hours in two days and all four people in the car were comfortable. As for horsepower.. yes it would be nice but I keep up with Cleveland rush hour traffic jsut fine. I am able to cut people off with the rest of em'
Old 01-12-2005, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by javastan
A little bouncy???? Both my wife and daughter have complained that they can't even read a book while being a passenger on the freeway in our xB. Their eyes can't even stay on the same line. Yes it does depend on the freeway. But around here (Sacramento) at 65-70 the bouncy little car defeats reading. They read all the time in our full size van and full size truck with no problem. Luckily the xB stays mostly on the surface streets what it was intended for.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

personally I don't think there really is a power issue. I do have a stick and I do find that I do have to downshift quicker in it than in our Matrix, but I can easily do 85-90 on the interstates(freeways). I've never felt like I couldn't keep up with traffic. We've taken it on multiple roadtrips and never had any problems, in fact my family would rather travel in it than in the Matrix, it is quieter. I'd say the ride is about the same as the xA, its a little firmer than the Echo we used to have. but like someone else said, the best way to find out if it will work for you is to go test drive one.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife and I went to Flagstaff (mountainous area) to play in the snow last weekend and we passed a whole lot of cars going uphill. Didn't seem to be a problem for us. We were able to keep the speedo around 65mph or so on a 6%incline, so that's good enough for me. (stock, 5-speed)
Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member

i personaly like it true it is bouncy but its fun to drive on the freeway. yes the car does have little horse power but for its light body it goes very good.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bilgewiper
A little bouncy???? Both my wife and daughter have complained that they can't even read a book while being a passenger on the freeway in our xB.
Just currious....is your xB lowered at all and what size wheels do you have?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

mines totally stock
Old 01-12-2005, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

don't mind bilgewiper, all I've seen him post is complaints about the ride quality. if you really don't like it, trade it in. otherwise, stop complaining and try and fix it.
anyways, the power is fine, if you have a 5 spd. I have heard from other people on this board, that the auto is very laggy in power delivery, especially on the highway. I can't attest to if that's true or not, I drive a 5 spd.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

I bought the manual just for that very reason, the auto is a little laggy
Old 01-12-2005, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have an 05 Automatic and I drive up to 3 hours a day on freeway and have no power problems and part of my drive daily is up and down a mountain. I love the car and I don't think that it is really bouncy. The 05 stock springs are much better than the 04 so it stays pretty smooth. I have the Tein H-tech springs on it now just for the small drop but it handles really well in the rain ( which has been tested completely the last few weeks ). I don't think your wife would have any problems driving it. I pass cars all the time on the mountain inclines (Cajon Pass) and average between 70-80 mph the whole drive.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sublimize23
don't mind bilgewiper, all I've seen him post is complaints about the ride quality. if you really don't like it, trade it in. otherwise, stop complaining and try and fix it.
Yea, I am old! I'd love to put some old school 13"-14"' Torque Thruster II's with BFG T/A's that might help the ride and still keep the overall height profile the same but I doubt they will clear the rotors. I still havent gtten used to the "Hot Wheel's" look of 20" inchers yet. Little tiny sidewalls equate to a hasher ride. Trust me you will be "old" someday also and still want to drive a cute car!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bluerobin
I have an 05 Automatic and I drive up to 3 hours a day on freeway and have no power problems and part of my drive daily is up and down a mountain. I love the car and I don't think that it is really bouncy. The 05 stock springs are much better than the 04 so it stays pretty smooth. I have the Tein H-tech springs on it now just for the small drop but it handles really well in the rain ( which has been tested completely the last few weeks ). I don't think your wife would have any problems driving it. I pass cars all the time on the mountain inclines (Cajon Pass) and average between 70-80 mph the whole drive.
Thanks. Actually, 95% of my wife's driving is all in-town. Her commute to work is all of 4 miles. The reason I asked about highway performance, is because the xB would probably be the vehicle we would take on long road trips (more room for luggage and such).
Old 01-12-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bilgewiper
Originally Posted by Sublimize23
Yea, I am old! I'd love to put some old school 13"-14"' Torque Thruster II's with BFG T/A's that might help the ride and still keep the overall height profile the same but I doubt they will clear the rotors. I still havent gtten used to the "Hot Wheel's" look of 20" inchers yet. Little tiny sidewalls equate to a hasher ride. Trust me you will be "old" someday also and still want to drive a cute car!
I don't know how old you are, but I am 29 and the xb's ride IS a little bouncy(and I have always owned small cars/trucks, none of which were known for having a smooth ride). I've thought about switching out the springs to some teins, but don't have the cash laying around.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock Daily driven XB - Automatic here.

I don't have any issues with the ride on the highway (longest drives were from Southern California to San Francisco and SoCal to Vegas). I don't find it bouncy at all - not as comfy as your usual sedan, but somewhere in between.
As for performance, it's a box...I don't and didn't expect performance from it. That's what my other car is for LOL.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same concerns before we got the 05 xB.

At stock, auto trans, with 4 people in the car, it does feel slightly underpowered.
With only 1 or 2 people, and no luggage, it rides fine.

However, after I installed the AEM CAI, and it seems to help out a lot (plus it helps improve fuel mileage some). I doubt its a placebo effect since i've noticed that it takes less rpms to maintain the same highway speeds. I recommend getting some sort of aftermarket intake, just don't get it from the dealer (you'll save money that way).
Old 01-12-2005, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member

I dont feel that it is a rougher ride then anyother car. It bounces around alot less than my F150. It doesnt have massive power but as a daily commuter I think it is fine and my last car was a camaro SS. The only thing I dont really like is the amount of interior road noise. But it can be fixed easily with some dynamat and pulling off a few panels.

Quick Reply: Highway driving in a xB