Highway driving in a xB

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I have an '04 xB and use it to commute in. I drive 160 miles round trip everyday I work, and then some. I've been known to drive to SoCal and back w/ a moments notice in my xB also.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member

We have an 05 XB. I drive it back and forth from Orlando to West Palm (3 hour drive) on a regular basis. It rides pretty smooth. My Grandfather has been with us and even he loves it. I used to drive a Camry XLE and Mustang GT so as for power a 6 to a 4 was a little getting used to but it moves. I wouldnt own it if it didnt. I will say areodynamic it is not. But hey its a BOX !!!!!

Old 01-12-2005, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Matt..
Like others said, test drive one.. in my opinion, the stick version uses the full 108hp while the auto is sluggish at times.
Yes, going uphill can be a pain in the xB if you're packed with things and want to cruise 80 MPH.. but when filling your tank afterward is only a $20 bill, you'll be happy.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lower it... yea sounds funny... using a progressive rate lowering spring set helps out the bouncyness ALOT..
Old 01-12-2005, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last week I bought an 05 xB with a manual with factory suspension and alloy wheels. The drive home (90 miles) was fine and there was sufficient power to climb the mammoth mountains on 17 in AZ. (Anyone who has driven on Rt. 17 from Phoenix to Prescott knows what I'm talking about)
There was even a little HP left over to actually accelerate uphill! (keeping RPMs at or below 3500 for the break-in period)

We do a lot of highway driving, and the xB's highway performance is perfectly acceptable in power and ride smoothness. Just a tad rougher than the Hyundai Sonata (we traded in for the xB), and actually a little softer than our Mini Cooper.

The manual transmission makes a dramatic difference in performance.... at least that is what I observed when I test drove both transmissions before purchasing.

Having said that, actual performance will depend upon the individual. If a person simply just smashes the accelerator to the floor, then he/she may not find any difference, but an experienced and intelligent driver will certainly know how to get signficantly better performance with the manual.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

Having made the drive from Wilmington, DE to Atlanta, GA and Boston, MA multiple times each.... I can confidently say that this is a great road trip / highway car.

That being said, with four people and stuff the pick-up isn't too impressive but otherwise it has plenty of pep and space to get comfortable.

- Jugglah
Old 01-13-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by grnxb
Originally Posted by Bilgewiper
Originally Posted by Sublimize23
don't mind bilgewiper, all I've seen him post is complaints about the ride quality. if you really don't like it, trade it in. otherwise, stop complaining and try and fix it.
Yea, I am old! I'd love to put some old school 13"-14"' Torque Thruster II's with BFG T/A's that might help the ride and still keep the overall height profile the same but I doubt they will clear the rotors. I still havent gtten used to the "Hot Wheel's" look of 20" inchers yet. Little tiny sidewalls equate to a hasher ride. Trust me you will be "old" someday also and still want to drive a cute car!
I don't know how old you are, but I am 29 and the xb's ride IS a little bouncy(and I have always owned small cars/trucks, none of which were known for having a smooth ride). I've thought about switching out the springs to some teins, but don't have the cash laying around.
I'm almost 17. bounciness in a car, turbulence in a plane, etc don't really bother me. I apoligize for the attack bilgewiper, I was in CAD class and cranky in the morning.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No problem, apologie accepted. The older I get (I'm 46...I think) the more I start sounding like my dad which I thought would never happen. When I took my 1st drivers test I had to do it in my dads 66' Lincoln Continental. That big old beast was embarressing to drive, couldn't figure out why he wanted that after selling a 67' Camaro RS convertible which I never got to drive cause I was too young. Oh well. I actually let my dad drive the xB for the first time about 4 hours ago. He is now 73 years old and he couldn't wait to get the keys from me, go figure.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Highway driving in a xB

Originally Posted by matt_a
Okay folks, I need some input. I bought a '05 xA about a month ago, and I freakin' LOVE it. I've owned lots of other vehicles in my life (sports cars, luxury cars, jeeps, trucks and SUVs) and I can honestly say that the xA is my all-time favorite. There's just something about this cool little car! Anyhow, in about two years or less, we will be replacing my wife's car. I'd gladly buy another xA, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be practicle. We need at least one vehicle with a little more cargo room. That brings me to the xB. My wife and I both love the xB's "huge" interior room, and it's quirky looks have grown on both of us. She's actually gone from "Eeew...that's ugly" to "Ya know, I do kinda like it. Maybe I'll get one next". Based on my experience with my xA so far, I'd love to buy another Scion. The only hesitation I have about the xB, is it's highway performance. I've read other posts where xB owners have said they are so underpowered, that they might think about selling it. I'm not interested in doing 100 mph down the highway, but it should have enough power to pass and merge safely. Any input from xB owners on highway performance? -Thanks
We drive FAST here in AZ with 75 mph speed zones everywhere and traffic moving at 80 mph+. There are lots of long grueling hills and mountains too and I've never had any trouble passing or maintaining speed on a hill. I rarely even have to downshift if I can keep momentum (i.e. some douchebag doesn't move into the fast lane in front of me going 45 on an uphill haul)

No complaints here. More power would be great, but I rarely feel it is falling short of what is needed.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member

Oh well. I actually let my dad drive the xB for the first time about 4 hours ago. He is now 73 years old and he couldn't wait to get the keys from me, go figure.

My Grandfather is 76 and he has always had police cars and my Grandmother always had Lincolns or Caddys. He Loves MY LIL BOX. He thinks it drives nice and is comfy especially in the back seat. He was even looking into one for himself but he said hes just gonna stick to my Grandmothers Town Car he had just bought her before she died. I know for a fact he has been to the local dealer several times looking though. I think its cute. [/i]
Old 01-13-2005, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It rides fine. I have found, that the perfomrance mods help with the HP and pick up on the highway. I have the AEM Cold Air Intake; and a Borla Exhaust system.

But even before them, the Box kept up with traffic fine in the MIAMI area.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

People, you got to know how to drive and make the most of an AUTO. I live in L.A. and when I bought my `04 xB, it was traffic time and I did not even get the chance to test it on a FWY. But driving it around town I knew I would have NO problems Anywhere.
I have kept up with traffic and MOST of the time, Im passing it. I live off the 210/134 fwy, its an Uphill climb from Pasadena towards N. Hollywood. I have felt ALWAYS that 108 is where its at. I even drive out to SB County. And if you ever drove on the 1st FWY, the 110fwy, you know its POLE POSITION all the way, and I have never Smashed my foot to the metal to get where Im going.
Also , it might be a little more bouncy than some cars, but its NOT really a car / truck or van. Its ALL 3!! Even when I and my friend sat in the back and another drove, we were amazed that it wasnt that bouncy even though we were basically sitting on the rear axle. My back sucks, yet its better, ALL AROUND for me ,than my `03 Civic EX I traded for the xB. So its not TOO bumpy. Being that that wheel base is close together seems to be less jarring than the 2 distinct bumps from longer wheelbases.
The xB is my first car to not be low. And I am enjoying VERY much just HOW MUCH I CAN SEE. I love it!
Old 01-15-2005, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I took my XB from Charlotte to Charleston round trip recently and set the cruise to 80mph which it stayed at no problems. I was able to stay at that pace even in the rain! It had no adverse handling characteristics at any time, speed, or condition. I have a 5spd bone stock. :D
Old 01-15-2005, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have a manual XB and a 140 mile round trip to work and part of that is on the interstate. I have no problems with power. Half the time when I'm going up the onramp I'm running all over people. If there's no one in the way I'm up to 75 before I have to merge.

I do have the Injen CAI and Borla axle-back which gives me a little more power in the upper RPMs which I think helps for high speed travelling.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xA and xB both ride stiff because they have "sport suspensions"
and a short wheelbase (with the xB's being 5" longer)
However it's nothing a good set of tires can't help.

My only performance mods are: better (winter) tires,
a TRD free-flow air filter (a big improvement)
and I run synthetic oil (smoother starts and better gas millage)

My xB is an automatic and yet, it still gets up scoots!
I never have a problem getting up to speed on the express way.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member

I have a tC and an xB, and I would much rather drive my Xb on the freeway. It handle's great, and it has enough power to handle the 5 Freeway in L.A. If it can handle the 5, it can handle any freeway
Old 01-27-2005, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by hondaxhonda
I have a tC and an xB, and I would much rather drive my Xb on the freeway. It handle's great, and it has enough power to handle the 5 Freeway in L.A. If it can handle the 5, it can handle any freeway
Ok, I can understand that the xB is acceptable, but you *prefer* it to the tC?? What's wrong with the tC?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i'd rock a tc , i still don't like it's looks but i'd definately rock it.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default What Rocks

Well for one thing, ALL 3 models are Different than ANYTHING out there. So that makes Any of the 3 NEW and FUN to drive and be seen in.
Why I love my xB/bB is like what one person said, " It has Sport Tuning " and you add that with Majorly FUN, Ridin HIGH and looking different than any car out there. You will notice that I said CAR. Because it does look a little like a UPS truck, Ice Cream truck, Mail truck, Milk Truck, SNAP-ON tools, and Im sure im missing a lot of Other Trucks out there.
Plus the xB is the one of the Few cars out that really WANT to be MOD!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah , too bad theyre slow , if i knew theyd be so slow i might not have bought it , when i got it i was in a different mind set , all about reliability and an awesome look , now that i've been drivin slow for awhile i miss my olf supra and just fast cars in general , oh well.

Quick Reply: Highway driving in a xB