First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Hitch PICS !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TJandBOXCARWILLIE
Just don't sue TOYOTA if/when you do damage to your Box. At least they warned ya.
I f I were to sue Toyota, it would be over the cheap-___ paper thin paint they use on their cars. That's one way to change the topic!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by luvmyxb
Look TJ, let's stop this bickering. Al I am saying is The xB is a well behaved little car. I pull my Hobie cat (400lbs), and you can hardly tell its back there. My point is I have pulled the same kinds of loads with VW for yars. Stopping is not an issue with those light loads.
And I have stopped. I said, do what you want. Just don't sue, I added, since that happens a lot in this country, especially after someone has been warned not to do something, they do it anyway, and then they sue. Really, that's all. No hidden agenda. Nothing up my sleeve. If you think you can tow, tow. You don't need anyone's permission at all, least of all mine.
Um no you didn't stop! You wrote two books on the subject! Who cares! You've stated your thoughts now go away! You act like these cars are really expensive or something. My xB hardly cost more than my 4 wheeler!! I also paid cash for those too. As I do with most anything.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by LowProMofo
You wrote two books on the subject! Who cares! You've stated your thoughts now go away! You act like these cars are really expensive or something. My xB hardly cost more than my 4 wheeler!!
Oh, those posts were 'books' Sorry...I forgot, that anything more then a sentance is too long for most folks on the internet.

It requires reading, sorry. And, maybe you act like the cars are not too expensive, but I can recall when a new car was under six grand, and came with more options then this car.

Well, that is more then two sentances. Best be off. Have a great day.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

You wrote two books on the subject! Who cares! You've stated your thoughts now go away! You act like these cars are really expensive or something. My xB hardly cost more than my 4 wheeler!!
Oh, those posts were 'books' Sorry...I forgot, that anything more then a sentance is too long for most folks on the internet.

It requires reading, sorry. And, maybe you act like the cars are not too expensive, but I can recall when a new car was under six grand, and came with more options then this car.

Well, that is more then two sentances. Best be off. Have a great day.
I was saying nobody cares about what you posted. He's going to do what he wants! His car not yours. His problem if something happens, not yours. You have made your opinion, now leave!
And I don't "act" like these cars are not that expensive, they're not. We're talking about present day car prices not years and years ago.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh, they tow trailers with motorcycles and VW bugs.

Originally Posted by Special Sauce
Hitches on the box? Isn't that the wrong car for the job?
Old 05-16-2005, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what do you tow?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

You'd be happy to know the XB flexed some muscle this past weekend .. I actually towed my 1959 Impala, all be it around the block, but I did put the bumper hitch on the impala and attached it to the box. At 4800 lbs the impala is no sloutch and the box really felt it. Not so much the tranny as the brakes, so I left it at home and called a tow truck. If brakes are upgraded to crossdrilled and or slotted and you drive cautiously, on ideal sunny days on flat roads the XB would tow fine ... . For now its great to haul motorcycles and jet ski's or wha I really wanted the hitch for .... to make a set of seats to sit behind the truck at car shows ...

Laterz ...

P.S. Our boxes are meant to be towed not tow ..
Old 05-16-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Just so people know a toyota echo can haul 900 lbs I believe , same motor and crappier gears for towing , yes I know the xb has a slightly stretched frame compared to the echo but I would use the echo's allotted weight as the guideline for towing with an xa or xb.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz
You'd be happy to know the XB flexed some muscle this past weekend .. I actually towed my 1959 Impala, all be it around the block, but I did put the bumper hitch on the impala and attached it to the box. At 4800 lbs the impala is no sloutch and the box really felt it. Not so much the tranny as the brakes, so I left it at home and called a tow truck. If brakes are upgraded to crossdrilled and or slotted and you drive cautiously, on ideal sunny days on flat roads the XB would tow fine ... . For now its great to haul motorcycles and jet ski's or wha I really wanted the hitch for .... to make a set of seats to sit behind the truck at car shows ...

Laterz ...

P.S. Our boxes are meant to be towed not tow ..
Thanks for the update. AS I mentioned oh so long ago, if anyone could do it, it would be you.
And, I like this line from you: P.S. Our boxes are meant to be towed not tow ..

Yup.

I was saying nobody cares about what you posted. He's going to do what he wants! His car not yours. His problem if something happens, not yours. You have made your opinion, now leave!
Um, I didn't leave yet...oh oh.

And I don't "act" like these cars are not that expensive, they're not. We're talking about present day car prices not years and years ago.
Years and years ago...in 1989 I bought a new Mercury Tracer, with five speed, A/C, top of the line Stereo, Cruise Control, and much, much more. Yet, new, it was only a bit over $6,000.00

I guess that was way before your time...IT was not that cheap then...
Old 05-17-2005, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah hmm i dont want to get killed when u cant stop ur box cuz of the trailer in the back...
Old 05-24-2005, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default VW Busses were indeed built for towing!!!!

As far as the owners manual, it doesn't say to install CAI's or lower your springs or install larger wheels. And a VW bus is fine for pulling small boats, as is the xB. I know, I've done it and you hardly know it's back there.
Hmm.

Well, the big difference is that the dealer will install the CAI, springs, and larger wheels. I have done the first two.

And the manual says not to install a hitch. I figure they have a very good reason. You know, having designed the car and all.

Oh, that's right. It's a CAR, not a TRUCk, as some might think. Car. Not truck.

VW Bus, for pulling a small boat? Okay. Not a smart idea, but hey, it was your car. Just because the BUS back in the day was built on the same frame as the Beetle, and used the same brakes...ah, but what do you care?

You have the Cartman attitude, which is, 'Whatever, I do what I want'.

Carry on.

If you would only take the time and do alittle research you will find out that the Microbus VW was designed originally for utility purposes. I know, I have an original VW Microbus Crew Cab truck. It has a towing capacity of 3/4 tonage. The Beetle was a completely different chassy. Check out WWW.TheSamba.com There are some reaaly cool pics on this site. But I will agree that an XB should not be towing more than it could handle inside the cab. I'm getting one asap. I need to tow my Sunfish, and a Vespa. Take care
Old 05-24-2005, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default This is my friends I.D.

Well hell, I don't know how I got on to this account. I guess they used my pc last. Anyhow, I was not trying to kick sand into anyones face. Just wanted to defend one of my other hobbies. By the way I have had more VW's than I can remember. Ten of them were pre 67 Type 2's Including a 58 23 window. It's funny how a lot of us have progressed into Scions, and Jeeps by the way.

My real account is XBrett
Old 05-24-2005, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: VW Busses were indeed built for towing!!!!

Originally Posted by baby21forever
If you would only take the time and do alittle research you will find out that the Microbus VW was designed originally for utility purposes. I know, I have an original VW Microbus Crew Cab truck. It has a towing capacity of 3/4 tonage. The Beetle was a completely different chassy. Check out WWW.TheSamba.com There are some reaaly cool pics on this site. But I will agree that an XB should not be towing more than it could handle inside the cab. I'm getting one asap. I need to tow my Sunfish, and a Vespa. Take care
I have had 13 VW's in my life. I have owned two VW Buses, among them. The way the VW MICRO BUS, got it's start, is a bit different then the utility vehicles that VW had back in the day. Sure, in Germany, they had trucks and all , still built on the VW Beetle frame, back in the 50's, and '60's. But they were augmented to be stronger then the Bug. Now, the Bus, it was not meant to be any stronger then the Beetle, not at first. In fact, that was part of it's problem. All that weight, same small VW four banger.

Until sometime, was it late '60s, early '70s, that they changed the motor in the Bus. Then it got stronger.

So, your crew cab was stronger, in some ways, then the Bus. But the Micro Bus, was a weak cousin, to them.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i would but brakes on a trailer and have an ebc on the box if i ever even thought about towing something
Old 05-24-2005, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member

[quote="TJandBOXCARWILLIE"]

Sorry. But that shot of my old nB? That was on the beach, and it just happened to have that trailer behind it; it was not in any way hooked up to my Bug. I'm not even sure the nB can handle a hitch.

Have you looked under your New Beetle. IT's a beefy frame for a small car. Why do you think it weighs like 300 pounds more than the Xb. And VW's have a ton of stopping power. Like the Xb, or any small car, loads of up to 600 pounds (including the trailer) should be okay. As long as the trailer hitch is properly secured, it's all good. Of course you have to drive like a Grandma when you've got a trailer on one of these cars.

You are right though. I would never put a trailer hitch on my Xb, or my Fiancee's VW Beetle either. But I am lucky enough to have a bunch of friends who have SUV's and can help me haul or tow things. I love my Xb and I get hectic when I get a scratch on it. So yeah, I wouldn't do anything that could mess with it either.

But heck, I've seen trailer hitches on Corollas and Civics before, why not an Xb?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Banned

i am interestered in getting a hitch for towing my motorcycles (2). My only concern is the wiring for the trailer. is there any way to get wiring for the trailer to hook up to? if not, i guess night driving is our of the question. also, has anyone towed a motorcycle in their xb? how does it do up hills? your help is appreciated
Old 05-25-2005, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by XBman
i am interestered in getting a hitch for towing my motorcycles (2). My only concern is the wiring for the trailer. is there any way to get wiring for the trailer to hook up to?
This is usually refered to as a 4-wire with converter. http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...gory_Code=ELEB
Any good trailer sales/installer can get you the correct one. I recommend that you have them install it, if not correct then they will have to replace it. This happened when wiring my MINI Cooper.

As an aside: Take a look at this tow vehicle.
http://www.trikenest.freeserve.co.uk/tearout1.jpg
It has about 1/4 the weight of an XB, maybe 3/4 of the HP and torque and no electric brakes on the trailer. I am sure that the tow vehicle manufacturer would not recommend towing with it here in the US. However, it is being done in Dorset, U.K. where it is not at all unusual for small vehicles to tow trailers. The biggest difference in the UK and Europe is that people have experience towing with small vehicles, do so responsibly and don't expect to drive the same as when they are not towing. The lack of that experience, responsibility,expectations, and law suites, are the biggest reasons for no tow recommendations here in the US not the cabability of the vehicle.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member

Default Food for thought

You know what's really interesting in the xB and many other cars "not recommended for towing" is that they include a "L" or "1" gear setting on the Automatic tranny.... now what else would you possibly use that gear for on an automatic, outside of seriously inclement weather (probably also recommended to be not driving in...), except downshifting on a hill?

Hell... just to throw this in.. I've seen Kia Rio's (my wife has one) hauling fridges on the freeway in utility trailers... and that beast has barely a 95 HP engine in the 2001/02 models (my wife has an '02).
Old 11-27-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here's a couple pics of a box towing a bike.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hitch

I bought a new Honda Accord way back when, second year car came out. 5 Spead, 4 cylinder, towed a 14 Foot boat with it for years. Always babyed it, and im sure motor was bit bigger than the Xb.

The car definitely is not designed for this duty, and after reading posts about Engine MODs and Clutch troubles an upgrade would be in order if you really plan on doing this. Im sure uphill strains wont be good for the car over all. I did most of this type of pulling on short local trips and was fine.

Quick Reply: Hitch PICS !!!