Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by PAxAgirl
nice sh00k....they do look bad a$$. ^^

oh and those ooga horns/super loud ones are just outrageous and soooo not needed. i swear i feel organs wanting to release themselves from my body when someone wails on one of those. it just hurts to hear.
oogah horns are not loud...they are just a step up from the squeze horns on bicycles.

think model T fords...1920's type car and the horns they had...

those that are super loud (like mine) are air horns. they will get the attention of idiots much faster/better than the beep-beep of a toyota horn.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
pllus, i think they look mean as hell just sittin there under the hood....
I'm scared LOOKIN at 'em! (That's the only disadvantage of the Stebel unit -- it looks meek.) I swear, you don't need to honk 'em; just point 'em at anyone and they'll FLEE!!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
^^^ hornblasters rocks but, in my case, i wanted most bang for least buck. i bought 2 sets of the hellas before i heard about the other 139db stebel alternative from pooder.

regardless, the dual hellas rock and for only $120 for the set of two, it didn't break the bank.

plus, i think they look mean as hell just sittin there under the hood....

- sh00k
Wow, I bet people take notice with that set-up.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

plz tell me you put a grille over those?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

naw - no grill - because i muffles the sound. tons of people stare and some people are like "let me hear it" and i even had some people ask me "what type of speakers are those" hahahaha... the location of them is the only place where i could mount them that would NOT muffle the sound. i share the car with a couple of family members - and i only take the grill off when im driving. with the grill on, you can hear the sound bounce back into the engine compartment and into the cabin. when i have the grill on, and i have the 3 "push" type plastic bolts that hold the grill down - honking actually loosens them!

i've drive by many many people that noticed them, and many cops too. no one seems to say anything. i actually was honking at someone going through an intersection then i see a cop car at my left... after i pass it, the cop comes behind me, and pulls over the dude that was going slow in front of me - the dude that i was honking at! hahaha.... the sound projects pretty far so i think the cops thought that that dude was the one honking! lol......

but i haven't been stopped by the cops yet. these things are so f*cking fun to use, it's so worth a $150 ticket.

note though - i dont drive around and randomly honk @ ppl. i usually flash my highs but if that doesnt work or if the person is being a real jerk, i lay it on 'em. i use them, not abuse them.
- sh00k
Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah who cares about teh sound when you have an open grill like that . sorry bro but that get's a yuck in my book.

place em behind the bumper facing down . the sound will bounce off the ground thus being amplified.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOLOLOL!!!! i thought the same thing so i fixed it - just in time for the holidays -

ROFL! but seriously - these things project so far the way i have them, it's worth it for it to look bad to some people. again, the car isnt always drive like this - just on the weekends when im behind the wheel ;]
- sh00k
Old 01-13-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by pooder
Originally Posted by pooder
I wired mine by removing the horn relay from its box and plugging into those connectors with mine, replacing the relay with my own and wiring straight to the battery (through a fuse, of course) for a lot of current to the Stebel set.
Just to clarify, I plugged spade connectors into where the stock relay was and ran those connections to an externally mounted relay. That way I didn't have to get access to the stock horns, only to the box that the horn relay is in. Clear? I hope so . . . .
So if you took out the stock relay that means you're running the stock horns and the Stebel horn through the Stebel relay? This thing looks awsome! I'm going to wire mine up asap but i'm not quite clear on how you keep the stock horns.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a single wire that goes from the horn button on the steering wheel to the stock horns. all you have to do is tap that horn wire and run it to a certain number on the relay. if you click the link in my sig below, you will see a diagram and you will see the # on the relay which connects to the stock horn button.

im just too lazy to check =(

There is actually 2 wires - one that goes to each horn - but both are activated by the horn button. you can tap only 1 of those if ur puitting in a single horn. I tapped both since i have the monster 4 horn setup ;]

hope this helps playa,
- sh00k
Old 01-13-2007, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bsbox
So if you took out the stock relay that means you're running the stock horns and the Stebel horn through the Stebel relay?
That's correct.
Originally Posted by Bsbox
This thing looks awsome! I'm going to wire mine up asap but i'm not quite clear on how you keep the stock horns.
Two wires come from the Stebel relay; one for the Stebel horn and one for the stock horns. The one for the stock horns goes back to the connector that the stock relay was in. That way I didn't have to rip the whole front of the car off to get it installed.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang i bet thats loud! LOL
Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to me the stock horn sounds kinna sissy and was hoping to upgrade. where can i buy better horns for the box?

has anyone done a air horn system?

-----------tom
Old 01-13-2007, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wanachat15
to me the stock horn sounds kinna sissy and was hoping to upgrade. where can i buy better horns for the box?
From earlier in this thread:

Stebel Nautilus, just to be different and to get 139 db. 'Em is LOUD!!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ is where I got mine. LOUD, compact air horn. Pic at http://www.twistedthrottle.com/image...view/2137/539/

I wired mine by removing the horn relay from its box and plugging into those connectors with mine, replacing the relay with my own and wiring straight to the battery (through a fuse, of course) for a lot of current to the Stebel set. I also left the stock horns in place, so it makes a UNIQUE sound that I L_I_K_E!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

-----------tom
I got the Stebel Nautilus compact on Ebay for $50 shipped. 139 decibles is the highest i've seen of any air horn and this is a compact version for motorcycles. i've got the relay all wired up and just waiting for a day off to mount it on the car. Directions and wiring kit included makes install fairly simple. Another guy here in town has one on his box and we passed each other in a parking lot one night and he honked just as i passed by. I swear i almost ____ed myself. They are so freakin loud even without using the stock horns in conjunction. These should've been the stock horns!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went a cheaper route with my xB and xA. I bought a low-tone Highway Blaster from AutoZone for about $12. I wired it up to the stock horn. Both of them together sound good and are certainly louder. The stock horn circuit can carry the 2 of them with no trouble.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xA_Factor
I went a cheaper route with my xB and xA. I bought a low-tone Highway Blaster from AutoZone for about $12. I wired it up to the stock horn. Both of them together sound good and are certainly louder. The stock horn circuit can carry the 2 of them with no trouble.
Those are certainly good horns; made by Fiamm. I've put MANY sets of Fiamm horns on motorcycles -- mine and my friends' -- and they've been utterly reliable and LOUD. It's too bad that they put such cheep meepers on motorcycles . . . and Scions! It's all about cost, I guess . . . .
Old 01-13-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey thanks guys for the info. buuuuttttt i'm just a little rusty on my electricals. does anyone have a diagram or something of how you wire it. it's probably easier than it sounds. just want to make sure so i don't blow up the battery or something.

can you just use the stock setup/diagram, but yea with the new wires and everything that comes with the kit.

hey "pooder" you gave me the link thanks, but which one do i get?

------tom
Old 01-14-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

click the link in my sig related to horn installation and you will be enlightened.
- sh00k
Old 01-14-2007, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey thanks guys for the info. buuuuttttt i'm just a little rusty on my electricals. does anyone have a diagram or something of how you wire it. it's probably easier than it sounds. just want to make sure so i don't blow up the battery or something.

can you just use the stock setup/diagram, but yea with the new wires and everything that comes with the kit.

hey "pooder" you gave me the link thanks, but which one do i get?
There are two Stebel airhorns that TwistedThrottle.com sells; they are the same only one is chrome, one is black. Pick whichever you like -- they're both <<<LOUD>>>.

Here are the instructions for installing horns that I've sent out to many folks. They're for putting horns on motorcycles, mostly, but the 'lectrical stuff is the same:

I shall now tell the tale of How To Do It Right, having myself put LOUD horns on several motorcycles and a couple of cars.

Before you work on electrical stuff on the bike, it's a good idea to disconnect the ground terminal from the battery; do this before the first step.

First, remove the original horn and do whatever you want with it. Throw it on the ground hard and stomp on it, if it makes you feel better. You won't ever want to see it (or hear it) again.

Next, find a horn relay. I usually got one with the horns I bought -- I've used Fiamm dual-tone horns almost exclusively. A key thing about the relay is, you want one with the coil terminals separate from the contact terminals. The Fiamm ones I've used have five terminals: two for the coil, one for the power source, and one for each horn. Mount this relay in a convenient place for weather protection and access to the wires from the old horn and to the new horns. I've usually put them in the headlight bucket. If it won't fit there, mount it with the terminals facing down so they'll stay dry.

Now connect the wires that came from ONE OF the original hornS to the coil terminals of the relay. If there was only one wire, connect that to one coil terminal and ground the other one to a convenient spot.

Find a good spot for mounting the new horns. They should not contact anything else, and if they're of the "snail shell" variety, the openings should face forward and down, so that rain water will run out. If the new horns have one terminal each, the mounting bracket should connect to a good ground; the frame of the motorcycle is ideal in this regard. I've usually mounted them on either side of the downtubes of the frame.

When you were buying the relay, I should have told you to buy a fuse holder, but I forgot -- sorry 'bout that. I get mine at WalMart, and they take an automotive two-blade type fuse. Take out whatever fuse comes with it (20-amp?) and substitue a 15-amp fuse. Connect one end of the fuseholder to the + terminal of the battery with a large crimp-on connector. Connect the other end with a butt splice to a piece of 16- or 14-gauge wire long enough to reach the relay. Connect that end to the single relay contact terminal with a crimp-on connector.

Next, run a piece of the same gauge wire from each remaining relay terminal to each horn, using crimp-on connectors.

Finally, if there is a second terminal on the horns, run a ground wire from that terminal to a ground on the frame. If there's only one horn terminal and the mounting didn't provide a good ground, run a ground wire from the horn body to the frame, using crimp-on connectors.

Now, reconnect the ground at the battery. All should be (quiet) for this step. If sparks fly or the horns sound, something's wrong. Recheck all the steps. Check for a stuck horn button.

Assuming everything's (quiet), turn on the ignition and press the horn button. It should get LOUD! If the horns sound muffled, it means that they're not mounted tightly, they're touching something else, or they need to have the screws on the backs adjusted. Adjust accordingly until you get nice LOUD clear tones. There you go; you should be heard now!

Note: On my Harvey ('72 CB500), the leads going to the horn button aren't switched at the ignition, so the horn circuit's active all the time. I don't know if this is the case for all SOHC4s, so YMMV.

Another Note: DON'T depend on your horns to get you out of trouble; they're just another weapon in the anti- "I didn't see him" arsenal.

Good luck and LOUD riding,
Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres a question you might think it's dumb, but what is a relay and isn't the stock horn wiring connected to the existing fuse box? so do i just take the old horn out and connect the new one (plug and play)? or does it require change of wiring? is there another fuse setup with the kit or are you talking about replacing the existing one in the exsisting fuse box? thanks this should be it. i'll try to figure it out myself, should be fun. thanks.

-------tom

Quick Reply: Horn Upgrade