Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Horn Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can connect the new horn to the stock curcuit without issue as long as they don't draw too much current. But a relay allows you to run a high-draw item (horns, foglamps, ect.) using a lower amp curciut as a switching source. With a relay, you can power the new horns directly off the battery and the stock horn circuit becomes the switching source for the relay. This ensures that the horns get all the current they need to be as loud as possible. Plus there is will be no issues with overloding the stock circuit...i.e. popping fuses.

The typical 30amp relay has 4-5 connections:
1. groung (-) for the relay.
2. (+) lead to the horns. Some relays a 2 connections for the accessory.
3. (+) to the battery. You should add a fuse here...15-20amps depending on the horn/s.
4. Lead to the stock horn circuit/wire. No need for a fuse here since this circuit is already protected with a fuse.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Musical horn all the way. I put the speaker behind the grill and the control box in my armrest. I wouldent mind swaping out the stock horn with an aooga style. Where can I find one?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by TheJonas53
Musical horn all the way. I put the speaker behind the grill and the control box in my armrest. I wouldent mind swaping out the stock horn with an aooga style. Where can I find one?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/B...015146/c-10101
Old 01-14-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by chadfo
Originally Posted by TheJonas53
http://<br /> http://www.jcwhitney....015146/c-10101
Awsome thank you.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Help! I just tried to install my Stebel and followed the instuctions to the t. Nothing is happening. No sound at all. Fuse is fine. Connections look fine. Could i have a bad relay? It's just not getting any power. Everything is plugged in where it's supposed to be.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
There is a single wire that goes from the horn button on the steering wheel to the stock horns. all you have to do is tap that horn wire and run it to a certain number on the relay. if you click the link in my sig below, you will see a diagram and you will see the # on the relay which connects to the stock horn button.

im just too lazy to check =(

There is actually 2 wires - one that goes to each horn - but both are activated by the horn button. you can tap only 1 of those if ur puitting in a single horn. I tapped both since i have the monster 4 horn setup ;]

hope this helps playa,

- sh00k
Ooops> ok so i wired up my Stebel an di couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. The directions said to tap both old horn wires. Are you saying that if i only tap on e old horn wire that it will work? That's one thing i didn't try. And do i have to turn on the ignition to make the new horn honk? Otherwise i must've got one with a bunk compressor. I really hope i don't have to try returning this freaking horn. I was all excited and now my day is ruined.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it will work only connecting it to one of the wires coming from the stock horns. it is not necessary to connect both to your relay!
- sh00k
Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bsbox

Ooops> ok so i wired up my Stebel an di couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. The directions said to tap both old horn wires. Are you saying that if i only tap on e old horn wire that it will work? That's one thing i didn't try.
If you mean MY directions, I may have mislead you, however unintentionally. These are generic directions, and they mean the wires leading to one horn. On the xB, there is only one horn wire going to each horn and the return is through ground, which the body of the car. So, the relay coil needs to have one connection to the existing horn wire and the other to ground. (I edited my instructions to show that.) Then the switch side of the relay needs one connection to the battery through a fuse, and the other connection to the new horns.

I hope this hasn't confused the issue more. It's MUCH easier to explain if I can be there to point at what I'm talking about . . . .

(To test your Stebel horn to make sure it's not the source of the problem, connect the plus side of the horn to the plus side of the battery, and then momentarily connect the minus side of the horn to any ground connection of the car, or the minus of the battery. When you pick yourself after being blasted into next week, you'll know the horn worked. ;^)
Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks guys. i actually meant both of you. My question for midtown was; is it not working because i was connecting to both stock horn wires? For pooder; I meant the instructions that came with the horn. I wasn't going to try the relay thing you said because i'd need you to point it out. I'll try hooking it straight to the battery. Don't worry i'll wear earplugs. If you mean blasted by electricity then.....well, wish me luck. Thanks again guys.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ok so i connected the Stebel to the battery without the relay to test it and it works so it's not the compressor. I went to Autozone and picked up a new relay so i'll give that a try later on. I'll try just hooking up to one of the stock horn's wire and leave the other one in place....or i guess i could just try splicing into one and leave both stock horns in place. We'll see i guess. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The only way i could make it work was my hooking one stock horn wire directly to the new horn. I just disconnected the second stock horn. No second realy and no fuse. It works but i'm worried somethings going to fry. I read somewhere that the stock horn is about 10a and the stebel is like 18a. I have no idea what the stock realy is rated for. I don't know how else to make it work. It just doesn't seem to be getting a charge between the fuse the second relay and the horn button wire.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bsbox
The only way i could make it work was my hooking one stock horn wire directly to the new horn. I just disconnected the second stock horn. No second realy and no fuse. It works but i'm worried somethings going to fry. I read somewhere that the stock horn is about 10a and the stebel is like 18a. I have no idea what the stock realy is rated for. I don't know how else to make it work. It just doesn't seem to be getting a charge between the fuse the second relay and the horn button wire.
I think you'll be OK. If you're running NO stock horns (I think that's what you're saying) and only the Stebel, you might have less current (2 stock horns @ 10a = 20a vs 1 Stebel @ 18a). If you're actually overloading the stock relay, the fuse for the horn circuit would blow first . . . . The only advantage of a separate relay is that you can use heavier gauge wire to provide more current to the Stebel. More current = LOUDER, but it's already going to be MUCH louder than stock.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member

Default horns

i just used an air horn from autozone comes with its own mini air compressor and 3 plastic air horns i mounted in the grille and wired right into the factory switch 125 decibles... ATTENTION getter
Old 01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It isn't really hard to hook the horns up to another relay. I am assuming you didn't see the beautiful and informative picture in my post (below in my signature) on my horn installation...? take a look at it if you haven't already.
- sh00k
Old 01-16-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah but you have the Hella horns and i have the Stebel compact air horn. Anyway i wired it exactly like that with a fuse and a relay and it would not work. That is my problem. And for pooder, I'm only using one of the stock horn wires hooked up to the air horn. I just unplugged the second stock horn.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O, that's wierd... I wonder why that didn't work for you... Did you try googling for wiring diagrams (possibly) or to see if the company has any more info?

Best of luck,
- sh00k
Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have the diagram straight from the company. Thanks. I mean it works now but i hate having extra parts left over on anything and i worry about hurting my stock relay. I hear they're not cheap. I now know of another guy on here that has essentially the same horn and wired it directly to the stock wire. He's had his for a while with no problems so hopefully the 10+10=20 amp theory works.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just ordered one of those mini air horns. i think one is good enought, but can i run one more off the same wiring just a switch in between?. just in case of a gag i can just turn the other one on and work off the same button.

--------tom
Old 06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by pooder
Originally Posted by midtowndesi
dual hella
Stebel Nautilus, just to be different and to get 139 db. 'Em is LOUD!!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ is where I got mine. LOUD, compact air horn. Pic at http://www.twistedthrottle.com/image...view/2137/539/

I wired mine by removing the horn relay from its box and plugging into those connectors with mine, replacing the relay with my own and wiring straight to the battery (through a fuse, of course) for a lot of current to the Stebel set. I also left the stock horns in place, so it makes a UNIQUE sound that I L_I_K_E!!!
I think this is going to be the best set up! 139 db with no air compressor or tank! HELL YEAH!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just checked the stebel website and its only 139 db at 4" from the source, and 115db at 6' so its really going to be about the same as the hella horns output, but now im confused on which i should go with

Quick Reply: Horn Upgrade