Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How can i safely jack up the xB and use stands?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

thats an awesome idea! i wonder if theres enough room between the jack and the seam for the wood once i lower my xB?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

once you lower it the answer is.......NOPE. well maybe with less than a 2 inch. but i'm over 3 inch dropped so it's a big no no. hell my stock jack has a hard time.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

how do u jack it up? use the stock jack then a better one once it gets to a good height? used to do it with my echo lol, but because of that i got in a rush and the stock scissor folded and the front passenger fell on the disc brake 0_0
Old 09-12-2005, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i just use the stock jack for the first side. and if i need both sides up ( driver and passenger) i get a jackstand on the first side then use the scissor jack on the other side. i had a decent jack but it broke. and only way i'd buy any other jack was if it had 2 inch clearance which none do.

i use a 1987 toyota supra jack. it worked for my 3450 pound supra so it works for my 2435 pound scion. i love scissor jacks. cuz they go low. unlike all others.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

You could also cut a 2X8 at a little angle and drive up on those first to give a little more clearance.

I made them use the jacks and not put it on the lift when I got my tires swapped today. They had trouble getting it on the last time and with my new lip and skirts I was like Even then it was close...
Old 09-12-2005, 03:41 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i cant even jack up my car anymore. scion jack broke (im too lazy to get it fixed) and my floor jack cant get under it anymore. i cant go up the drive on lifts.

only thing i can do, is find a shop that specializes in lowered vehicles, and have them use the 4 point arm lifting jack

scott
Old 09-12-2005, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ummmm most lifts (drive on type) come with lengthened ramps so as to fit lowered vehicles. just about every place around here has em. i guess nebraska is in the dark ages.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I really can't believe this is actually at topic of discussion. I will NEVER use the jack that came with the xB. It will damage the paint on that seam and prolly bend it. The only safe way to jack it up is on that frame rail.
My floorjack has a large enough dish in it for a nice 4 inch piece of 2x4 to fit into so there is no metal to metal contact. And it goes low enough to clear the skirts. If not just place scrap pieces of 2x4's in front of the tires and drive up them to give added clearance for the jack. NO BIGGIE! Honest.
Those rails are strong enough to raise the whole side of the xB in the middle. I do it all the time and have yet to add one dent or scratch to them.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

just wait. those little frame rails bend. theres no harm in scratching paint on the body seam as they are not seen.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

ahh, i don't know who to believe now > <
Old 09-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am going to continue to jack the car up on the frame rails and not the body seam. I don't feel like opening myself up to scratches and future rust. I use a low profile floor jack with a 4" rubber pat on it. My jack stands areabout 1.5" wide and I use plywood on top of them. I have had no issues thusfar. No scratches, no dents, very sturdy feel.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

need to get me one of thems
Old 09-12-2005, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
I am going to continue to jack the car up on the frame rails and not the body seam. I don't feel like opening myself up to scratches and future rust. I use a low profile floor jack with a 4" rubber pat on it. My jack stands areabout 1.5" wide and I use plywood on top of them. I have had no issues thusfar. No scratches, no dents, very sturdy feel.
Exactly right!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i think Max has a good way of doing it here and i agree with him. hes a smart fellow.

by chance though, where did you get your jack and how much did it cost? im pretty low and i have lots of problems getting the jack under there, let alone a rubber pad inbetween.

thanks

scott
Old 09-12-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by sexyscionlover
yea i think Max has a good way of doing it here and i agree with him. hes a smart fellow.

by chance though, where did you get your jack and how much did it cost? im pretty low and i have lots of problems getting the jack under there, let alone a rubber pad inbetween.

thanks

scott
Say you were sitting 3 inches lowered. If you have 2-1 ft. pieces of scrap 2x4's. You could place each one in front of both tires on the side you want to jack up. Simply drive up on them. It will raise the vehicle half of the amount of your drop making it possible to get any floor jack under your frame rails.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by sexyscionlover

thanks

scott
Thanks for the compliment.

I hate to admit it, but I got my jack and stands at Pep Boys. I did get the best one they had. I was in a bind when I bought it, and couldn't find a comparable one around. It's a Big Red Jack, made by Torin. It does a real good job, and it's reasonably light, at 42#. It's a dual stage (meaning it raises quickly to hit the car, then slower to do the jacking) and it's very low profile. This is just like it, except mine's red:

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200313357.htm

The jack stands are each 3 ton and it came with two. I believe I paid around $120 for the set.

While it's clearance is 3.6" it does not reach super deep under the car, and since it's wedge shaped, the sides start to hit right as I get to where I want to be (on the frame rail)

I am on Hotchkis springs. Anyone with a 2" drop or more would have a tough time using this jack to hit the frame rails without driving onto blocks.

The stands are super light and look nice. They work well. They're aluminum. There's not much else to say about a jack stand. They seem quite sturdy.

Overall, I am very pleased with the jack and stands.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

cool, i guess this is another reason i should bag my box instead of dropping on springs :D

i could just pump the bags up then jack right? I'm assuming people with bag setups do this?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rebelMan
cool, i guess this is another reason i should bag my box instead of dropping on springs :D
I guess you could use that as an excuse, although my Hotchkis springs leave just enough room. They're somewhere between 1.5 and 2 inches lower than stock.