First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

how dark is factory tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default how dark is factory tint?

hi i just wanted to know what percent would the factory tint is? it looks like a 20 but it could be a 35. i dunno im blind. Would you guys go darker or do u like the shade that it is .
thanks
kevin
Old 03-14-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bout 35
Old 03-14-2005, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

about 22
Old 03-14-2005, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know, but I'll bet it's somewhere between 22 and 35.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

call the damn dealer.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

pm windowtint, he'll tell you 19-20%
Old 03-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Banned
SL Member

The lower the percentage the darker the tint. I suspect it's closer to 35 or even 50 in the back. 20% isn't even legal in some states.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I totally remember reading 35% passthough somewhere, but then again this is the
internet and I could have just been reading someones opinion.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine got rated by the meter and is at 22. its illegal in NE but oh well. its a damn fine match IMO
Old 03-15-2005, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My factory tint, it is original JDM, i.e. not tinted by film, but tinted glass, is between 24 and 25%. This was measure with a kind of meter at a government testing facility when I got my car registered. It is a requirement here.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
pm windowtint, he'll tell you 19-20%
19-20%

Originally Posted by Rion
The lower the percentage the darker the tint. I suspect it's closer to 35 or even 50 in the back. 20% isn't even legal in some states

it's federal law that mandates OEM 'tinting'. Federal law always supercedes state laws. If the Feds say it's ok and the state says it's not, you ignore the state and do what the feds say.

If a state outlaws tint that's 20% in darkness - they are regulating the APPLICATION OF ADDITIONAL AFTERMARKET TINTING. The law is not applicable to the OEM colored glass.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

" Federal law always supercedes state laws. If the Feds say it's ok and the state says it's not, you ignore the state and do what the feds say."

--I just wanted to point out that the above statements are not entirely correct. Each level of government is able to pass more restrictive laws than those enacted by higher levels of government. For example, the Federal government says alcohol is OK to sell, but many counties and cities are dry. But states cannot pass laws that are less restrictive than Federal law. In that case, Federal law supercedes state law. For example, the medical marijuana laws passed in California, Oregon, etc.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

i've heard that 27% matches almost dead on and that was from a dealer who's demo has tinted windows

-X
Old 03-15-2005, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

im doing 35%. It wont match but i wont get a ticket either. I think its aroun 20%, its legal in MOST states
Old 03-16-2005, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yournightmare
" Federal law always supercedes state laws. If the Feds say it's ok and the state says it's not, you ignore the state and do what the feds say."

--I just wanted to point out that the above statements are not entirely correct. Each level of government is able to pass more restrictive laws than those enacted by higher levels of government. For example, the Federal government says alcohol is OK to sell, but many counties and cities are dry. But states cannot pass laws that are less restrictive than Federal law. In that case, Federal law supercedes state law. For example, the medical marijuana laws passed in California, Oregon, etc.
thanks for going OT ... that's always nice. Now I know there are always many dying to make me look stupid ... but it's harder than that. As far as states/feds go. Feds ALWAYS have the final word one way or another - if a state enacts a tougher law, it's under the approval of feds. Implicitly or otherwise. I live in the south, I am plenty familiar with blue laws (alcohol to the unitiated). As far as the medical marijuana issue, those two states have also been threatened to be castrated (per se) by the FedGov if they follow through with the law. It's been made abundantly clear they may lose ALL non-essential federal funding (roads.. pork projects... higher education above K-12, etc) - that's a death sentence for a state. So sure, a state can do the opposite of what the feds want them to - but it will cost them dearly.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

From what I've heard/read somewhere, the tint is equivalent to 3M RM22... which I assume to be 22%, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

this pic shows that 35% is almost a match on camo green.

but on another color, it looks too light.

alot of tint shops around me use a 30% tint to match alot of the factory tints, and imo, it matches up pretty well.

i'd stick around 25-35% tint to make it match the best.

good luck
Jim
Old 03-16-2005, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by windowtint
Originally Posted by yournightmare

thanks for going OT ... that's always nice. Now I know there are always many dying to make me look stupid ... but it's harder than that. As far as states/feds go. Feds ALWAYS have the final word one way or another - if a state enacts a tougher law, it's under the approval of feds. Implicitly or otherwise. I live in the south, I am plenty familiar with blue laws (alcohol to the unitiated). As far as the medical marijuana issue, those two states have also been threatened to be castrated (per se) by the FedGov if they follow through with the law. It's been made abundantly clear they may lose ALL non-essential federal funding (roads.. pork projects... higher education above K-12, etc) - that's a death sentence for a state. So sure, a state can do the opposite of what the feds want them to - but it will cost them dearly.
Uhh, what's the problem? Who's talking about States doing the opposite of what the Feds want them to do? And thanks for inadvertently (?) agreeing with me, starting with sentence 7 of your post.

BTW, my post wasn't OT. YOU made the post saying State law didn't have any say in the darkness of OEM window tint. People need to know that your information was incorrect so that they aren't surprised when they get a ticket.

I'd really like to take more time to explain federalism, the Constitution, and the rights of States to pass laws, but I have things to do.