Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How Did You Get Interested In An xB >?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How Did You Get Interested In An xB >?

How did you get first interested in buying an xB? I remember my wife and I going someplace about a year ago (Sept of 2004) and spotting our first one. Now if you knew my wife and I, you would know we agree on nothing-------we usually agree to dis-agree. But when we saw our first xB at an intersection-----we both said "what is that"--------"thats about the ugliest little car I ever seen". But we both agreed it was cute. Then a couple of months went by and we went to a Christmas parade and while walking back to our car----we spotted a "burnt orange" xB in the parking lot and the people were just getting into it. Of course we had to rush over and ask them all about it----and I think we were sold at that point. Since then we have seen several and every chance we get we approach the owner and grill him or her with questions of all kinds about the little box. Well----Thank God----we agreed that this was the vehicle for us----and the long of the story we now own our camogreenmet xB and LOVE IT. Any other experiences on getting hooked on the xB Scion??? PJRACER
Old 11-10-2005, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just got sick of having a car...and no room. i wanted something that had some room, seats could fold down to give me more room, and also still got good gas mileage...xB fits it all and then some

its an addiction.

Ive always liked it, fiance likes the xA more but she loves the box now, she appreciates the value and the amount of room...more so considering we are moving next month lol now having a mini-minivan will be nice!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2003 Los Angeles Auto Show... I thought the outside was kinda funky, but then I sat inside the back seat and was able to stretch out my legs (I'm 6'4") I fell in love.

I had just spent 20 grand on an '03 XRS Matrix, and I saw that the xBs started around $14k-$15k. The BSP Matrix was traded for a BSP xB and I never looked back.

-THE DON
Old 11-10-2005, 09:17 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I first saw one on the internet doing a "google" search for a new car under $15,000. It was so ugly it intrigued me, and when I saw it at the dealership I went Car Crazy. My husband hated it, but once he took it for a test drive he changed his negative opinion into a positive, one. It is definately not a car for the shy. I still get asked about the car, and pointed at...I just wave. This Forum is so awesome too, I've learned so much about my car, and the people on here are so friendly.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was ready to buy a car early 2004 and there were not over here on the east coast yet but my dad told me about them and then it was love...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was looking to get an Echo for my commute, but a 4dr Echo w/ AC, auto windows, ABS, etc. went from 10K to 15K! When I got to the dealership looking for a stripped down Echo, the salesman actually lied to me and said they had no more Echos and were discontinued (in Sept 2003). Ended up test driving the xB. Thought it was kinda ugly, but I also thought that it was a better value than an Echo. Went home, found out about ScionLife and practically read the whole forums (when it was just a few Cali peeps). Suddenly it wasn't ugly anymore! Went back to Toyota dealership and test drove it again....SOLD...got me a completley base xB - not even floormats..lol. Hardest part was picking a color
Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I was first interested when I saw one at the TX state fair about a year before they would be released for the rest of the country.
I saw it and said "whoa, someone did a box car right, I want one!!"

I was so getting one................. up until the '06 tCs came out. but I still have a lot of love for the xBs, no doubt about that!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've read alot of Option magazines when i younger. and i would see how those crazy people in japan had cars that looks like Mini mini vans...i thought it look reely weird at first, then i started loving that VIP style with slammed ride and deep dish rims.
then i heard toyota was importing the bB as the xB. i didnt believe it at first...
got rid of my celica GT-S(blown head) the got the xB.

its a chick magnet the end
Old 11-10-2005, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member

A guy my wife used to teach with when we lived in VA got one when they first came out on the east coast. I was originally turned off by how small and boxy it was. But he's bigger than me (about 6'4") and was saying how much head room he still had, etc. So it kind of intrigued me.

Still took a while for it to grow on me, but so far (only had it two weeks) I'm really enjoying mine.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i seen it(bB) in japan and loved it. found out they were coming down here and i knew i wanted one. i was going to buy an 04 but my neighbor sold me his car, awesome condition for $300. i couldn't pass it up. after owning the car for almost a year, i said screw it and sold it so i could get the xB. thankfully i got an 05 in april.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never thought that the xB was ugly I saw it for the first time on the pre-launch commercial on tv and I said that is what I want. I waited for them to launch in June of 2004 didn't even test drive one till after I put in my order waited two weeks and on June 27 2004 I drove my xB home with only 2 miles on the odometer. and I still love that car like the first time I drove it home.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I seen it on tv for about three months and told my wife one day i will get one of those. So after hearing this one day she told me i was too chicken to get a new car ( I have alway driven cars with over 150,000 miles on them ). So the very next day i went to look at the xb's and ended up ordering one that night.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a box because my other ride is a 64 GMC 3/4T pickup, and I hate what new cars look like...they all seem so aerodynamic and stale, so I was considering a frame-off resto on the pick up...about 10-12K for the resto. But they still wouldnt hemp my MPG any.

So I saw this square car/van/SUV type thing on the road and instantly, I KNEW that was the car for me, if I was going to go modern.

Going on three weeks old and I am loving my box. half my friends hate it. The other half love it. I dont care what ANY of them say because I love it and that is all that matters.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I remember seeing one at the Chicago Auto Show.....dont remember what year, maybe 03. At the time, i wouldn't have even considered a new car,...just couldn't afford it as a college student.

Fast forward a couple years...I'm driving two older vehicles that are complete money pits, i'm getting married in a year and i'm just dying to have a new vehicle. I looked around a bit at cars in the 14-17k range....i'd saved up about 7g's for a downpayment and wanted to be in the 200/month range for payments. My most likely options were a base civic (...bleh..honda..no character), Mazda 3 ( a little pricey, but sweet car), or one of the Scions. After randomly filling out the online credit app for TFS, they gave me a rate of 5.8% (which is a long way from my then current 9% on my truck). At that point, i was sold on the xB. Between moving soon and the lower insurance, I couldn't quite justify buying the tC. Ordered a 06 BSP xB because my dealer told me there would be no Camo 06's...he called me a week later telling me they were getting a Camo 06 5 speed...did i want it? Instantly changed my deposit over to the Camo....i'd never seen a Camo xB before i took delivery of mine. I've had it a little over 3 weeks now, and I absolutely love the car. Best choice i ever made
Old 11-10-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

july 2001 when i got to that part of TXRZ, and then even more so when I got TXR3 in 2003. I loved them since 2001 when I first saw it in the game. I've always wanted one, and now I have one. . . so I'm happy.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default here it is

I have a 2004 Hummer H2 that I bought in Nov 2003 for $65,000 in cash. It sucks - horrible gas mileage, not as big in the inside as the outside would make it seem, but this is the biggest thing...

I have owned it for 23 months (2 years this thanksgiving) and IT IS ALREADY STARTING TO RUST.

In the 23 months that I have owned it, I have just recently broken the 14,000 mile mark. When it snows, I do not take it out (Yes, I have a phobia with american cars and salty roads (rust)) - and my truck is already rusting@!#@#$@#$@#$

So, now that I have learned a costly mistake, I want to go with a reliable car that has a lot of space and that is great on gas. That spells xB - and I'm ordering mine this upcoming Saturday morning.

What made me decide on the xB were just a few things: size of the interior, gas mileage and price.

and now, sir, I am hooked. I need my next fix and I will get it on Saturday...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member

My first car was a 80's mustang, I never had problems with it, even though it was way past its prime. I liked it better than driving cheep beat up imports handed down from Grandma, like all my friends were driving. I found it was good for me and someone else to go places, but if more wanted to go or if you had cargo it wasn't to good. I never liked 2 door cars after that, and I never liked 4 door cars.

My second car was a 89 Mitsu Precis(hyundi Excel) also past its prime. I loved the 3 door hatch back with lay down rear seat configuration alot. I liked the go cart type feel of it when zipping around town. It never really gave me much trouble, and when it did it was always fixed by me. I loved how simple the thing was, it got me around town all week giving me clues what was failing and I fixed it on the weekends, but it never let me down.

My third, was a Chevy extended cab S-10. I really loved this truck, It had plenty of room inside, and I could haul bigger stuff in the bed. It really wasn't better than the others, but my lifestyle had changed and it fit it the best. In 10 years that I owned it I only changed the oil, replaced 2 batteries, and a set of tires.

Well 2 big hurricanes later, I found out my S-10 can't swim well, and 10 years of paying insurance, without a claim and no tickets, really do pay off

I never thought the Xb was ulgy, just a neat little car. Not really my taste, kinda reminds me of a soccer mom's car. After there numbers started to grow and the younger crowd started getting them I started noticeing them alittle more. About 2 weeks before the storms I saw a really clean TCM Xb driving tru the mall parking lot. ( I was driving thru to get around a light with tons of traffic backed up) It was very clean and simple, tint, mild drop and tunner style 17's. I knew I had to have one! The rest kinda just fell into place and like they say is history.

I have the gas milage of my Mitsu, with more room. I have more covered storage than my S-10(rain) and with the seats down I think I can fit more stuff in it than in the bed of my S-10. I have the go cart type handling that I love, while still sitting high enough to see the road.( like the S-10) I have the awsome reliability of a Toyota. I have the awsome looks of this unique little car, and I don't really mind that it's a 5 door. And at the price I don't really see how anyone could loose with an Xb.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How Did You Get Interested In An xB >?

Originally Posted by pjracer
How did you get first interested in buying an xB? I remember my wife and I going someplace about a year ago (Sept of 2004) and spotting our first one. Now if you knew my wife and I, you would know we agree on nothing-------we usually agree to dis-agree. But when we saw our first xB at an intersection-----we both said "what is that"--------"thats about the ugliest little car I ever seen". But we both agreed it was cute. Then a couple of months went by and we went to a Christmas parade and while walking back to our car----we spotted a "burnt orange" xB in the parking lot and the people were just getting into it. Of course we had to rush over and ask them all about it----and I think we were sold at that point. Since then we have seen several and every chance we get we approach the owner and grill him or her with questions of all kinds about the little box. Well----Thank God----we agreed that this was the vehicle for us----and the long of the story we now own our camogreenmet xB and LOVE IT. Any other experiences on getting hooked on the xB Scion??? PJRACER

Thats just about word for word my wife and I experience. :D

Ugly to love in about 18 months. :D
Old 11-10-2005, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Parked in Union Square, 17th Street by the W.

Black and square and just stood out.

I'm subscribed to almost every auto mag out there and I read about'em, but it didn't register like seeing one in person.

I've never owned a japanese car before and hate'em to be honest.

Had considered a MINI, but need more room.

A few months later I became the owner of an xB...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

A friend of mine had bought one on the east coast and when I went online and looked at it, I teased him about it, and said it was the ugliest thing I ever seen. What do you know, bout a year or 2 later I started seeing them on the road a little more and for some odd reason I began to like them. I guess because they are so different and I'm a different type of person I felt we were made for each other. Now I am the happy owner of xBizzle for shizzle.

Quick Reply: How Did You Get Interested In An xB >?