Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How Did You Get Interested In An xB >?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a 94 chevy that was falling apart. Never knew if I was going to make it to my destination. Had little money and needed reliable tranportation. Came across this weird car called the XB. It had great features for the price. Better than anything else out there, so I got one. I am so happy with mine! What a great little car!
Old 11-11-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BKCXb
My third, was a Chevy extended cab S-10. I really loved this truck, It had plenty of room inside, and I could haul bigger stuff in the bed. It really wasn't better than the others, but my lifestyle had changed and it fit it the best. In 10 years that I owned it I only changed the oil, replaced 2 batteries, and a set of tires.
same here!!!! (literally)

I love my s-10 too! I still have it!!! I call it the little truck that could!! going on eleven yrs young!
Old 11-11-2005, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

My 1989 Taurus was dying slowly, so I researched a ton of vehicles.

As soon as I saw the xB I knew what I was going to get.

A year and a lot of money later I still love it!!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is such a cool thread, ive read every single story
Old 11-11-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We were in San Antonio escaping from the Seattle rainy during President's Day weekend in 2004 when we saw our first Scion xB while waiting to cross the street. Both of us looked at each other and grinned. One year later, we drove our RS2 home!
Old 11-11-2005, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A neighbor worked for a Toyota dealer and brought one home when they first came out.
I always thought they were cute.
About 6 months ago I was convincing a co-worker it would be the perfect car for him...
Well....
I convinced myself in the process ...
There you have it.

WW
Old 11-11-2005, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i first saw a Toyota bB when i was in Hong Kong on August of 2002, learning how to drive a stick shift in a small parking lot at night. that is when i just fell in love with small cars. i saw a turbo Honda Jazz circling around the parking lot, the bov it made was sweet!

when i went to the Los Angeles auto show in 2004, i cant believe that it would come into the states. that was when i decided that the Scion xB will be my next car...
Old 11-11-2005, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I needed a disposeable car, a beater car. For home depot runs, something cheap, reliable and good on gas... The xB does these things well and its fun to drive
Old 11-11-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default oh

I completely forgot to mention!!!!!!

I live in Manhattan. I was looking at the new civic also before I found the xB but insurance on a FACKING CIVIC WAS GOING TO BE ABOUT $2,700 FOR 6 MONTHS! AND I HAVE A CLEAN RECORD, 25 YEARS OLD, BUT THIS IS MY FIRST EVER CAR INS. POLICY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best policy for an xB, via Progressive, is going to be about $1,100/6 months or so. THAT'S LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE OF INSURING A CIVIC.

stupid insurance requirements.....
Old 11-11-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Insurance, please man. I was buying a 1983 twin turbo DeLorean and no one would insure it. (30mph bumpers but at 35mph head on, the panels apparently pop and trap the occupants)

I was told, this is a few years back, to buy a Subaru.

Glad you got a good deal on the box insurance.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I first saw them at the Detroit show in 2003, and I hated it. Then I saw them outside the Sprite Remix tour, and someone was airbrushing the sides of the xB. Still hated the xB, but started to like the xA (thought it looked like a mini-Matrix). I had my heart set on a Matrix XRS as my next car (the Focus was REALLY ____ing me off), but then I started doing my research on Scions, and I really started liking the xB. Funny, I should have known I would. Anything that I hate right away I usually end up liking A LOT in about 6 months. So after reading tons of stuff from this board, taking a few test drives, I finally got my RS2 back in May. I've already got 9K on it, and I couldn't be happier! I originally wanted BOP or TCM, but I'm happy with the RS2 - it gets even more attention than one of the standard colors! Once I move back to PA I can start doing some mods and make the box even more my style!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member

Default blame it on Hikone!

In April 2004 my wife and I spent a week in Japan visiting our son who was spending a semester in University there (Hikone, Shiga Prefecture.) Our rental car was a Camry sized Toyota.

We quickly found out that on the narrow roads in rural Japan our rental car was really too big. A large percentage of the autos we saw on the road were little boxy things... very strange to the American "eye" ... but certainly the right car considering the high gas prices and road conditions! We commented that we had never seen anything like that in the States.

Not long after returning to the US... we saw a boxy little car around town. What was it? The next time I saw it I went over to inspect it, saw the xB decal, looked it up on the internet... and the "rest is history."

My wife still thinks its ugly but she does like the room and the mileage and the color (blue onyx pearl)... so she acquiesced.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was in the market for a good,cheap reliable vehicle. They had one where my brother worked and he was saying it was a great car for the money. I went with his advice.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've always loved the Japanese micro-cars/vans. When I first saw the xB I thought, "Finally! They've brought them over here!" After a couple used-car disasters, buying a new xB just seemed to make sense---especially since the US won't be getting the Honda That's (which I would buy soley because of its name) and the Nissan Cube is a couple years away....

I do find Scion's marketing to be fairly annoying, although I appreciate them for putting on a free DJ QBert show here in austin!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I first saw it in the NY Auto Show. I'm not sure if it was in the late 90's or early 2000's but it was definitely a few years before it was released in CA. It was just sitting there right outside, in one corner. One nameless booth, no personnel. It was black and all windows were heavily tinted. The doors were lock so I can't see the inside. There were cards beside it that you fill up if you want to get more info (which I did). I just remember seeing the bB emblem. I did a search for bB when I got home and found out about the Toyota bB. I loved it. I was not sure if I will ever see here in the US so I just bought a 1/24 Tamiya kit from a Japan Hobby store.

What got me was the shape. I like box cars. The price and being a Toyota, sold it for me. I sold the SUV and bought it.

Now my wife uses it and I'm stuck with a '91 Corolla. My wife said that she'll get a new car and give me the xB when the Corolla breaks down. 260,000 miles and it's still running, the Corolla refuses to die.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went to a car show fall of 2003, there was an Xb there. At first i absolutely hated it. I still had my integra at the time, and had just finished the project so i didn't plan on buying anything anytime soon anyway. Well, car was totalled (not my fault, long story. no racing envolved..no showing off either) Anyway, so after that happend i was looking into several cars. Well, i ran accross some stuff on the Xb and started looking into it for fun. The more i looked at it and read, the more i fell in love. Summer of 2004 i bought my box and i've been pretty happy with it. I really wish we had a higher redline, but, thats a typical toyota for you.

What really turned me on was the fact it was 100% japan made, light weight and small. I'm a big fan of light weight, compact cars. It grew on me and fell in love.

Cya
Old 11-11-2005, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

I flew back home (to Sacramento) to visit some friends for a week back in July of 2003 and one of my good buddies that I was staying with, we actually went over to his dads and the next door neighbor had a BSP xB and I remember going over and looking at and I though how strange it looked. I kept thinking to myself while looking at that "this is weird looking" well it wasn't until very late 2004 that I happed to catch the episode of Pimp my Ride when they did the made over the xB. the car intrigued me then. Didn't like everything they did to that box but after that I started doing research on the box and knew that I had to have one.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've been a car nut for years and gobble up "Motor Trend" monthly. An article about stability control, regarding its safety benefit and the reluctance of the car companies to provide it, even as an option got my attention. They mentioned that it was standard on the $14K Scion xB, why isn't it even available on cars and SUV's costing twice as much? This was before the Scions had arrived on the East Coast, but I remembered that fact. Fast forward about a year later, the first xB I saw in person was a BCP parked at my work, a bus company parking lot. I worked late shift so it was about 10:30 PM when I pulled up my bus to the pump, with that xB just a few feet away. So away from prying eyes in a well lit lot I gave this strange car a good look over. The shape was a little startling at first, but it really looked roomy inside, efficient in packaging like my old VW Bus. So I started doing some research and discovered the car gets 30 MPG+. So I prevailed on my long suffering wife to go to a dealer and see one. Her reaction was "so, how much does this cost"? I said about 14K. She says "yah, but how much is it with the stuff we want on it? I said about 14K. She says, that's a value. We drove it and liked it. This was about six months before we were ready to buy. So, on I go with my incessant research trying to find another car to consider. All I came up with was the xA. But the xB won by a nose, mostly because of the VSC and interior space. We've had ours two weeks. It's great, and my wife was convinced even more when it gobbled up our family of 4 plus my mother-in-law, and we were all comfy. I'd do it all over again.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For one I was introduced to them from the open deck bit char-g. I used to play with them a lot, and the stuff i learned/saw about the open deck was crazy.

Some guys I knew came back from Haight st where they were talking about test driving some new car. Then I was given more info, on it, and I was hooked. It fit my distinct tastes, it was economical, and it was spacious for my activities and friends. I always wore wild clothes, crazy colored or patterned shoes, etc. I was only probably 15 or 16 then without a license. When I finally got it earlier this year, it wasn't a surprise to most of the people who knew me, they expected me to end up with some crazy car. HOwever, if the Jazz was released here sooner, I know I probably would ahve swooped on that isntead.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've always been interested in "different" or "orphan cars. My first car was a Nash Metropolitan. I've als had many English cars such as the MGB.

I had recently paid off my '97 Mustang Convwertible and had promised myself not to have another car payment for at least a couple of years. There was an XB parked near my girlfriends house and I just kept checking it out over a couple of weeks.

We were driving by a Toyata dealer and stopped and test drove an XB just for fun. I was hooked. About three weeks later I found what I was looking for at another dealer; a 5-sp cameo met.

The XB reminds me of my old VW Bus as well as an English Mini, but built right.
Going on 4 months and it still brings a smile on my face when I drive it.

Do you find yourself looking for that special no door ding parking place? And when you walk away from your XB, do you turn around and look at it?

'05 5speed cameo met. Tien's, Koni's,Colgon Bra, XM, Viper, Arm rest, Gauges. Lisc 2GOBX.

Quick Reply: How Did You Get Interested In An xB >?