Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How does your xB handle the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^Ooops! I forgot about that topic. I'm on it a few posts down...
Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 PM
SL Member
Scinergy

I have had mine through one Colorado winter now. And I am extremely impressed with how well mine does in the snow. I put the all seasons on in November and had no problems what so ever. My WRX with winter tires was a beast in the snow... But the trade off for gas mileage/car note/space and insurance all make it well worth while!
+1 Happy Toaster Owner
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone ever have the issue of the snow building up behind the tires? i get that all the time and i just love the sound of tires rubbing on an icy mass. hahah.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Goes through the snow great with the stock pizza cutters
Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burkins89
anyone ever have the issue of the snow building up behind the tires? i get that all the time and i just love the sound of tires rubbing on an icy mass. hahah.
I've never had a car that DIDN'T do that! At least the xB has plastic so I can walk around it and kick in strategic places and make the snow boogers fall off in the driveway so they don't accumulate in the garage . . . .
Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 PM

I live in Toronto. We just had a winter with the most snow in 80 years. I use snow tires from one of our big box retailers - Canadian Tire. They are Goodyears and probably not the most current design.

The xB handles it very well. I did not think the stock tires were enough. I did try them.

Going up hill with wheel slip, the traction control will eventually come on. Often it doesn't come on and it's still fine. Some wheel spin but it paddels it's way up. You will hear the braks pulse just like if ABS goes off.

ABS while stopping works well on ice, deep snow a bit longer than by foot (I think that's true of all ABS?).

I'd say the only complaint (I'm not complaining) is it's tendency to rotate easily - the car is short and the suspension is surprisingly competent. So, it might surprise you with a drift instead of plowing straight ahead like most economy cars.

If you slide around a little bit the yellow TC light will light up. No worries.

If you end up drifting more fully the TC light will light up and the car will loudly beep at you. I think that's cute (I drive a supercharged Miata in the summer). Especially as it usually starts beeping at 30 degrees of yaw (japanese voice "excuse me, you are experiencing a loss of control").

My two cents.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Snowy weather

They're right. Did 4 years in Anchorage, Alaska. You can get by with the all-seasons. Stay away from studs and if you can afford it, buy a nice set of snow tires. A company called Nokian Tyres makes tires that are severe weather rated with a nice aggressive tread pattern- alittle expensive but well worth it if you get a lot of snow. Also once it does snow, go out some where and "play" safely with your xb- slam oon your brakes throw in some sharp turns, to get a feel for how the car reacts so you know what to do if that emergency maneuver is ever needed
Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From a Milwaukee-based xB owner... (and keeping in mind that this year we set the 2nd place record for the most snow here... ever)...

The xB does a great job in the snow. Every once in a while, the ABS breaking system kicks in. But for the most part, on heavy snow, ice, and really slick roads, the xB did amazing. However, I think that a lot has to do with how you drive--not the car you're driving.

BUT, I did get my lower front spoiler beat up by ice over the winter--to the point that it's now cracked and will be replaced this spring.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Xb's in the snow

I totally agree with the how you drive statement! In Anchorage there are over 400 car accidents on the first day of snowfall anually! I am proud to say I made it unscathed for 4 years. The biggest aspect to driving in the snow or ice is anticipation