Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How is the OEM rear spoiler attached??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How is the OEM rear spoiler attached??

What is the probabiliy of my dealer messing up the installation of my rear spoiler? Obviously their will be two holes drilled with a template, but i noticed that the spoiler has caps on either end on the top. That tells me that the spoiler has bolts or screws that tap into something from the outside correct? I was checking out my pop's rear spoiler in his new 4runner and noticed that its attached from the inside, not from the outside. anyone who has done this procces before please reply!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anybody?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

don't know if it helps... but i just installed my carbon fiber OEM rear spoiler. It came with 2 x 10mm bolts... i had to drill two holes...small enough to screw the bolts into..and used some 3M industrial strength double sided tape for extra security. It's very sturdy.

the dealer shouldn't have any problem installing it...it's just matter of price.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

COOL, thanks! So do the bolts tap into the metal, or is their a nut on the underside? I could not tell at my dealership...
Old 06-08-2004, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by UnFocused
COOL, thanks! So do the bolts tap into the metal, or is their a nut on the underside? I could not tell at my dealership...
i doubt there's any nut on the other side...

i'm not sure how others do it... but there are several ways of installing the bolt. One is by utilizing a rivet gun with threaded-inserts...which one of my buddy have mentioned that it does not hold sturdy as it should. so, i'm opted to drill the hole and just screw the provided 10mm bolt into the metal. It's pretty tight .
Old 06-08-2004, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey BluBox... Where did you get that carbon fiber spoiler?...did it come with everything that you needed to install it?

-Alex B.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Default Re: How is the OEM rear spoiler attached??

What is the probabiliy of my dealer messing up the installation of my rear spoiler? Obviously their will be two holes drilled with a template, but i noticed that the spoiler has caps on either end on the top. That tells me that the spoiler has bolts or screws that tap into something from the outside correct? I was checking out my pop's rear spoiler in his new 4runner and noticed that its attached from the inside, not from the outside. anyone who has done this procces before please reply!
All together there are four holes that need to be drilled. Two are for the required set pins and the other two are for the two nutserts with a rubber bushing to prevent leaking. Also doublesided foam tape is use to help keep it in place. Tighten the two upper bolts and place plastic covers on. I would suggest a drop of silicone to prevent the caps from coming off in the future. All these parts are available in the Spoiler hardware kit from Toyota.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the replies....Im still confused though- does the bolt go through and attach with a nut, Or is it tapped in the metal.

My dealer just started selling scions, but im assuming they have done other spoiler installs on other toyotas- do you think they will mess up the install of my spoiler? It sounds like the kit comes with quite detailed instructions and a template. Im just a worry wart! I just paid 15,550 for my B and now Im hoping all the accesories are put in right (Spoiler, fogs, bumper aplique, sub)

any futher insight is appreciated...
Old 06-08-2004, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Thanks for the replies....Im still confused though- does the bolt go through and attach with a nut, Or is it tapped in the metal.

any futher insight is appreciated...
A "Nutsert" is somewhat a round nut that is placed into a drilled hole and crimpped into place. This makes placing a bolt into metal possible. Check this site for a demo of a nutsert being applied. http://www.avdel.textron.com/index.h.../thin_sert.htm
Old 06-08-2004, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

holy moly thats neat! I hope they dont mess it up!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

holy moly thats neat! I hope they dont mess it up!
Nutserts are great little items for doing mods into metal. They can easily be bought at any hardware store along with a cheap hand held crimper. The only downside, your holes must be on center. The spoiler has large bolt holes so they shouldn't have any problems aligning up the holes.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The nut insert (which i called Threaded Inserts) is exactly what i was talking about. However, i heard that it didn't seem to hold the spoiler tightly as it should cuz the metal sheet is pretty thin...and it sort of wobbles the spoiler.

As for the CF spoiler... contact Nilo (XBBOY) or Adrian (scioninla) for pricing @ Scion Sport Tuning...they carry them, i think they have couple in stock right now.