Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How 'Satellite Ready' is the 2006 Scion/Pioneer Headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member

Default How 'Satellite Ready' is the 2006 Scion/Pioneer Headunit?

I haven't found any previous posts that has covered this topic specifically, so I hope this may be of use to people in similar situations.

I want to install Sirius satellite radio in my 2006 Scion xA with the upgraded IPOD-compatible Scion Pioneer headunit (model # DEH-M8157). I prefer to connect the receiver directly to the headunit and have the headunit display and navigate the satellite radio - rather than use a peripheral unit. However, I do not want to pay the dealership the approximately $500 dollars they are asking for the required hookup and install.

I was under the impression that in order to make the 'satellite ready' Pioneer headunit receive the appropriate satellite signal I needed to install a Sirius compatible receiver/tuner and antenna . The headunit clearly states on the dash and in the literature: Sat Ready (among other compatibles) so after doing some research (posts here, the included radio and car manuals, and other scion/pioneer audio links) I purchased the Sirius Digital Satellite Tuner for Pioneer Headunits (SIR-PNR1) "for use with Pioneer "SAT Radio Ready" Headunits and AV Receivers."

The tuner came with all required wiring including: IP-Bus input and output and single-pole Sirius antenna to magnetically attach to the car roof. Solely based on convenience, I purchased the tuner from BestBuy for about $100. At the store, I briefly discussed my installation plans with the sales guy but he was more interested in having them do the install than figuring out whether or not the tuner was compatible with my specific headunit. (Sorry, but I just want to do this myself.) He did however mention that there was a chance that Scion and Pioneer may have used dealer-only options for satellite hookup options which would ensure that I was not going to easily do it myself.

I left BestBuy determined that the appropriate connection(s) were on the back of the headunit. However to my dismay, after inspecting the back of the unit the only available plug was a square-shaped 12-pin and the Pioneer Tuner required a IP-Bus port. I believe this is the 12-pin data port that with this attachment can be converted into 2 RCA jacks as mentioned in other posts on Scionlife. Theoretically, it may be possible to purchase the 12-pin to RCA converter and then a converter of the RCA jacks to IP-Bus - but after much consideration of price and desired level of energy - I decided to return the Pioneer Tuner for the plug and play Starmate Replay.

Although I have yet to have the time to properly conceal the wiring, I plan on purchasing the 12-pin to RCA jacks converter in order to directly connect the starmate to the headunit (but still control channels etc via the starmate). I would also like to find a power source alternative to the cigarette lighter.

Now that I have had a few days to play with the starmate, I am glad of my choice. The starmate displays 2-lines of scrolling information and allows for pausing and rewinding of the satellite. The Scion Pioneer headunit only displays one line and does not scroll. After seeing all of the information satellite radio transmits, it would be disappointing to not be able to read it all if I were using the scion headunit. Currently, I am using the FM transmitter to play the satellite through the speakers (you just program the starmate and the stereo to the same unused station). The sound is not perfect, definitely not crisp CD quality and a bit of static comes through occasionally - but it is fine for right now.

After all this, I am curious to find out how other people are installing satellite radio to their xA's and specifically if anyone has inspected the wiring and components used for the dealer satellite installs.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member

No one has installed sirius yet?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i found out you end up with a fm modulater type set up.
I just put my xm headunit from my crx into mine so i wouldnt have to screw with that drama and be direct connected.