Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How widespread is xA/xB clutch slip problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member

Default How widespread is xA/xB clutch slip problem?

Forgive me for being an xA owner, but this forum is clearly where the xA/xB clutch slip action is. And yes, I've searched and read the forums first!

I too am experiencing clutch slip:
First noticed at 5656 miles. At hwy speed (~55 mph) under moderate accelleration (on-ramp / merging with traffic) the RPM's climb without speed increase. I do have the AEM cold air intake but no other power mods (yet). This is not my first manual transmission vehicle either.

Before I confront the dealer I'd like to get an idea of how many others are experiencing the same.

Also, I am curious what others with the clutch slip problem have experienced when confronting the dealer.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's very widespread buyt toyota will not warranty it.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

always slips when it is very cold out
Old 01-25-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Never had a slip in mine in any weather condition, ever.

Nearly 25,000 miles on mine.

Also, we haven't had a single customer come in with this complaint.

-Alex
Old 01-25-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by grizzly_choppers
Never had a slip in mine in any weather condition, ever.

Nearly 25,000 miles on mine.

Also, we haven't had a single customer come in with this complaint.

-Alex
if you drive aggressively, or have power adders it's gone. and why does no one go in? cause more than 25 people online have shared their stories of the dealers practically laughing in their faces when they've taken theirs in.

toyota knows it's a problem but they don't care it's way too easy to mark it off as regular wear and tear. but when was the last time you've seen any toyota 's clutch go out with just a 10-20 % increase in horsepower. hardly ever.

the xa/xb use echo clutche assemblies. so theyre meant for a lighter car , with slower gearing , and they are less likely to be modded.

put that same setup in a 200 pound heavier car , with peppier gears and a driver more anxious to up the power and guess what ?

the trd clutch kit is oem disc with a heavier duty pressure plate./ and get this...... the pressure plate's housing is the same only the springs are beefier!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, Knock on wood-no slips at all as of yet.... It was 18 degrees this morning, and no slips.

1.5 year old 2005 xB with 13k.....
Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went to Camelback Toyota here in Phoenix and they too notice the clutch was really soft, not slipping exactly, but they did all they could to remedy it, but I still have the problem, I have to almost let the clutch out all the way for it to engage. I almost stall at red lights alot. I am going for the TRD clutch next time, everyone has had a good experience with those I've heard. I don't even get on my car hard or anything, it's just a toaster.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me and many other xB owners I know I have major slippage in the cold weather. Also I hope people know what the term clutch slipping means.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:04 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only time mine slips is when its really cold outside other then that its still good to me

just have to remember to take it easy when its cold outside let every thing warm up!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:13 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm just now feeling a small bit of slip.............joy! Only 11,000 miles here! Although i think i have a case! My slave cylinder has a leak in it! If you depress the clutch and keep it depressed the release bearing will throw out right at the floor when you go to get the vehicle in gear!!! I've been filling the brake resevoir everyone in a while. I've been waiting for my clutch to start slipping til' i take it in since i heard about this before. I'm hoping that i could argue that my clutch was worn due to faulty equipment from the factory. Have the labor done under warranty and just slip the technician an ACT or clutchmasters kit while its in the shop. I know most of the guys there in the service department.

we'll see
Old 01-26-2006, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

mine only slips when i am at a stop light near my girlfriends cuz the light is at the botom of a hill and when i shift to 2nd it slips under hard gas
Old 01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think many owners have 'slipping' clutches so to say, but a 'soft' feel just as mine does, because the xB is based off the echo powerplant and has a fully organic clutch. Toyota is the only manufacturer in the world to have at least a 99 percent recycle rate on all of their old vehicles. They actually buy back old steel and such to keep down on overhead and new production costs, which in turn allow them to make nice innovations such as the organic clutches that they use in this powerplant.

Before anyone starts getting ____ed about that, the xB was mainly marketed as an urban assault vehicle, not a racecar, in fact, I don't think it will ever be marketed as a performance vehicle, therefore they I believe they will continue to use the economical and environmentally friendly organic clutches they now use.

That is why they offer to TRD clutch for those that want a sportier feel, or who don't like a soft clutch feel.

Before anyone flames me for what I have said, please take into consideration that most of what is said on this forum is speculation and not based upon actual truth, but most of my facts are from the toyota corporate site as well as their annual reports or the '10k' per s.e.c. regulations.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No slippage so far on my 06 Box.........5k miles or so.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by sprslug_182
I don't think many owners have 'slipping' clutches so to say, but a 'soft' feel just as mine does, because the xB is based off the echo powerplant and has a fully organic clutch. Toyota is the only manufacturer in the world to have at least a 99 percent recycle rate on all of their old vehicles. They actually buy back old steel and such to keep down on overhead and new production costs, which in turn allow them to make nice innovations such as the organic clutches that they use in this powerplant.

Before anyone starts getting ____ed about that, the xB was mainly marketed as an urban assault vehicle, not a racecar, in fact, I don't think it will ever be marketed as a performance vehicle, therefore they I believe they will continue to use the economical and environmentally friendly organic clutches they now use.

That is why they offer to TRD clutch for those that want a sportier feel, or who don't like a soft clutch feel.

Before anyone flames me for what I have said, please take into consideration that most of what is said on this forum is speculation and not based upon actual truth, but most of my facts are from the toyota corporate site as well as their annual reports or the '10k' per s.e.c. regulations.
what is speculation?

the trd kit is stock disc just upgraded springs. ask a factory tech. not dealerr tech a factory tech.

all i know is my disc is gone. organic clutches are VERY very prevalent in oem applications. the pressure plate is the culprit here not the clutch disc.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No slipping here in Pittsburgh - 8000 miles so far, hills, cold weather, and all.

On the other hand, I wouldn't expect a clutch to fail this early anyway. I had an '85 Chrysler whose clutch I replaced at 160k just because I was rebuilding the motor. I was hoping for similar performance from the Box.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member

Mine started slipping at about 10K miles. I brought it in to the dealer and they said that the clutch was like brake pads, no warranty. I then insisted that it wasn't the clutch it was the presure plate. They turned me away. So I went home printed this thread and brought it in to them. The told me that they would look at it one more time. I got a call the next day telling me that they would cover it the work with no explination as to why they had a change of heart.

My opinion is that they pressure plate was under engineered. Hopefully you will all have the same luck that I had.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm at 13K, no slipping yet. *fingers crossed*
Old 02-17-2006, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

mine started to slip at 15k i have @23k on it with the same clutch, but i do have to pamper it. i'm looking to upgrade to the spec stage 1 or something along those lines.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Def. sounds like they wussed out on the springs in the pressure plate. The clutch would prolly last 100K like it's supposed to if the springs weren't so cushy. But then the pedal would be a little harder to push.
I almost got a stick but wasn't convinced this type of thing wouldn't rear it's ugly head.
Hope Toyota takes care of it with the proper pressure plate for those of you having problems.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

mine started to slip at 3,000 miles...
intake and header...

the clutch slips at about 4,000 rpm. (temp never played a factor)

and why go to the dealer when aftermarket is sooooo much better in this area. (and cheaper...since it is not gonna be covered.)

Quick Reply: How widespread is xA/xB clutch slip problem?