Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

hydro-lock a motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it rained here pretty hard (Buford, Ga) and there was a little bit of water runnin across the road in my neghborhood (its still being developed) and so i thought just a little stream, WRONG. sucked all kinds of water in my intake, good thing i had the bypass valve. Reason i know this, i took the intake off when it stopped raining and that 'U' section of the AEM intake just below the filter was full of water. from right below the filter to the equal on the other side of the 'U'. so, no, i havent hydrolocked, but have come close to it.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, heck. I'm sitting here with a brand-new YDR short-ram on my desk, capped by that huge K&N filter, waiting for a non-rainy day to do the install (no garage). Now all this hydro-lock talk has me nervous. Short of driving through a creek or having a flashflood deep enough that it's over the bumper, is there any *real* danger of locking the motor with a properly installed intake driven under normal conditions (rain, typical puddles, snow, etc.)?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the position of the SRI behind the foglight area, think of getting in water that deep, that would be about half way up the door area...I have seen people hydrolock, and all I can equate it to is lack of common sense, if you don't know how deep it is, don't drive through it..
Old 10-23-2005, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It is good that you are worrying about this.....
It only takes a small amount of water to effect an engine.
BUT if you hydrolock your engine call your Auto Insurance company and report a claim.
Unless it is specifically excluded ---> flooding will be covered under Comprehensive.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mjj770
It is good that you are worrying about this.....
It only takes a small amount of water to effect an engine.
BUT if you hydrolock your engine call your Auto Insurance company and report a claim.
Unless it is specifically excluded ---> flooding will be covered under Comprehensive.
No, a small amount of water won't affect an engine. As I pointed out earlier, you could pour a gallon of water through the engine in a minute without coming close to damaging the engine. The problem occurs when only water is pulled into the engine without any air. This can occur either because the intake becomes submerged or because water builds up in a bend in the intake. The first problem is due to driver error, the second is due to poor intake design.

I think that an insurance company would look very suspiciously at a hydrolocking claim. I sincerely hope so, because I really don't want my rates to increase to pay for someone else's experimentation.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Advice taken. Unless I try to float my xB, then normal wet conditions should have no adverse affect. At least I hope not, because I just installed the YDR Short Ram and it's awfully fun. Note to self: do not ford creeks in xB.