First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

I NEED help....ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I NEED help....ASAP

OK, heres the deal.... I bought a Stinger 1700 battery, to replace my Optima yellow top. After swapping batteries (with the terminals still disconnected), i ran a 4awg wire directly from the alternator to the battery. When I backed the nut off the alternator, the black/red wire sprung up and hit the frame causing a big spark..... keep in mind that the battery was disconnected at this time. I started the car and it ran for about 4-5 min. and everything was fine...... then i used my air ride to lift up the front and the car instantly died. i tried to start it, but it was like the started locked up on me. I checked, and triple checked my wiring, and everything checks out. the starter relay clicks, but the car doesn't crank. I put my Optima battery back in, and the same thing happens. I have been trying to solve this problem for 2 days now, and have no solution yet. The strangest part is that the "brake" light, and the "ABS" light remains ON...even when the key is out. If i pull the battery terminals for a minute or so, then re-connect them, the lights are off. But when i put the key in, and attempt to start the car, nothing happens, and the lights kick back on, and STAY on... even when the key is out!!!!
My buddy came over, and said the starter solinoid has locked up, and it just needed to be hit. so with him cranking the car over, i start tapping the starter... he releases the key, and i'm still tapping the starter. Come to find out.... the lights on the cluster turned off while i was beating on the starter.

So i pulled the starter out, and tested it, and its deader than ____! I took it to O'riely's and had them test it, just to be 100% sure that it wasn't working. Thier test outcome was a dead starter.... it doesn't click, or anything.... just dead.

I reconnected the battery terminals with the starter out. I crank on the car to meter the signal wire that attaches to the starter. it checks out, and then i see that the damn lights are back on the dash!!! At this time i'm soooo ____ed!!

Anyway.... this is where i stand on this problem. I'm affraid that if i put another starter in (which is almost $400 from the dealer, and NOT in stock) its going to F' up just like this one did.

I have been accepted into a HUGE car show next weekend, and i'm supposed to be at the Expo Center Thursday morning at 7am. I have a feeling i'm not going to make it!

Sorry this is so long.... I guess i just needed to vent. I also wanted to let everyone see this as maybe.... just maybe someone would have an answer for me. *fingers crossed*

I'm also going to post this on Clubxb.com, so don't get ____ed if you come accross it over there.... the more people that read this, the more chances of someone having an answer.

And please dont' tell me to have it towed to the dealer... Custom paint, air bags, lambos, full a/v system... seriously.... They'll give me some BS reason why it isn't covered under warranty, or the service techs will get all kiddy and just jack with my car......... i don't like the thought of that!

thanks for all the help,

Clay
Old 02-10-2006, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member

check your pos. battery cable all the way to the alternator and test the alternator.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Highly doubt that warranty applies here. If it were me I'd put it back to the original set-up as much as possible and see if it goes back to working right. Any starter rebuilder should be able to reman your starter for cheap so you can try it again. Then don't do what you did to get it to this point. You asked.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the battery disconnected right now, and i think i'm going to get the starter rebuilt like your saying. that way if it happens again, i'm not out $400! I hope its nothing major, but i swear i have checked everything 5 times, and i can't find anything wrong. I just need another set of hands, and some new eyes to over look everythig and maybe find something i'm missing.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I just hope your wiring didn't get fried. Sounds like some might have because of all the other things that aren't working right. Time to break out the test light.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a trest light isn't the proper way to test wiring. Usually a test light will just let you know if the wire is hot, or grounded, with no voltage read out. I have a test light that i use, in addtion to my multi meter.

I'm pretty much outta ideas, and i really don't want to tow this thing to the damn stealership