Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

I need the truth about cold-air intakes vs the rain...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just got my xb not too long ago I dont know much right now on scion tuning but I also have a Subaru WRX with a K&N typhoon CAI on and it is awesome and makes the car sound good also. The only thing you have to worry about when it comes to a cold air intake is completely submerging the filter in water.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:18 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
oh it's bs they like to throw hogwash around , and i'm not saying that the aem snail intake is worse thatn stock but it does yield a lower hp gain versus the L pipe aem .
It is definitely NOT worse than stock, I noticed an immediate gain in power with the AEM and the sound is nicer, deeper.

Originally Posted by sciontificxb
The only thing you have to worry about when it comes to a cold air intake is completely submerging the filter in water.
I would not be worried about this It looks like the bottom of the filter is ~ 8" above the ground, and extends upward about 4" then there's the whole bypass thing.

I love the AEM CAI, definite performance gain.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Max
Originally Posted by hotbox05
oh it's bs they like to throw hogwash around , and i'm not saying that the aem snail intake is worse thatn stock but it does yield a lower hp gain versus the L pipe aem .
It is definitely NOT worse than stock, I noticed an immediate gain in power with the AEM and the sound is nicer, deeper.

Originally Posted by sciontificxb
The only thing you have to worry about when it comes to a cold air intake is completely submerging the filter in water.
I would not be worried about this It looks like the bottom of the filter is ~ 8" above the ground, and extends upward about 4" then there's the whole bypass thing.

I love the AEM CAI, definite performance gain.
Yeah! I agree! :D

I think it's da bomb. Or it's da snizzle de izzle. Or it's keen. Or it's neato. Or it's cool.

Any of those.

Could not be happier with it.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to say "THANKS" to everybody too, for their responses. I bought the factory AEM and it's still sitting in a box in my basement waiting to be put on. I figured since I've only had my box for a little while too, I'd see how it runs then install the AEM CAI and see if there is any difference. Now I'm sure there will be. !!! I was worried about the water thing too, cause all it does here lately is rain.

I saw 7" in one day in Sept. and 3" the other day and 1" today.

BTW, I bought mine at toytaparts4u.com and it was like $200 less that the rip-off dealer wanted.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

We got 1" today, It's the first day I've had mine on, but I did drive through some deep water with no problems (I live in the worst city ever as far as drainage goes.) I hope you like yours. I am sure you'll be happy.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Glad you got it! PICS! And let us know when you put it in...What you think then, that sort of thing...
Old 01-12-2005, 05:21 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I drive in the rain w/ my xB all of the time and I have the Injen short ram. I have the Injen CAI in my Matrix Xr and have no problems w/ it either.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the K&N Typhoon and accidently went through 6"+ deep water 2 nights ago.. thankfully (to my surprise) nothing happened.

FYI - w/ 2" drop.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As someone mentioned (and it's true), the only way to get hydrolock is to COMPLETELY SUBMERGE your intake in a deep puddle of water. Just rain and random drops of water will not harm your cars engine.

So what exactly is hydrolock you ask and why does it only occur when the intake is completely submerged?

Hydrolock is a condition when the intake ingests so much water that it literally fills a cylinder on your engine with water. This would happen when the engine is on a downward stroke towards bottom dead-center (BDC) and the intake valve is open (intake stroke). Once the valve closes and the engine is rotating into it's compression stroke, that's when you have problems. Because water is a liquid, it cannot be compressed like a gas (vapor). Something's got to give. Usually a rod.

As I said, this can only happen when an intake is completely submerged, because this is the only condition that creates enough vacuum to fill the cylinder with water. Little drops of water inside your cylinders will do no harm. Heck, there are already tiny drops of gasoline vapors in the fuel/air mixture your engines breath. Also, water injection is one way that some use to prevent detonation in high boost turbo applications. A little water vapor won't hurt anything - only danger is a fully submerged intake.

If you have an AEM intake with the bypass valve, you will not be able to harm your engine, even if the intake element is completely submerged. The bypass valve was designed with preventing hydrolock in mind. You will not see a difference in performance between versions of CAI with or without the bypass valve.

I had a '99 Civic Si that was really low to the ground. The intake was about 6-8 inches off the ground with my long style AEM CAI. The intake was in the fender, just in front of the tire. I did not have a bypass valve installed. I never had any problems in the rain, or even moderatly sized puddles. As long as you kept moving at a moderate speed, the panel that protected the intake (basically the lower front fender liner) would act like the bow of a boat and prevent the inside of the fender from completely filling with water (and possibly making me prone to hydrolock).

Bottom line. Do not worry about hydrolock if you have a bypass valve on a low mounted CAI. If you do not have a bypass valve on a low mounted CAI, do not drive through puddles deep enough to completely submerge your intake. In general, do not worry about the random droplets of water entering your intake. They will do no harm, even if they do actually enter your cylinder (unlikely).

For the guy who said his radiator was smoking from what he claimed was from ingesting little droplets of rainwater - sorry. That's not what was causing the smoke and in fact it was probably steam you were seeing from water on your radiator from the rain and boiling off causing steam. As I said before, a small amount of water vapor in your air/fuel mixture will cool your engine, rather than overheat it.

We got it?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

If you have an AEM intake with the bypass valve, you will not be able to harm your engine, even if the intake element is completely submerged. The bypass valve was designed with preventing hydrolock in mind. You will not see a difference in performance between versions of CAI with or without the bypass valve.

wrong check out performance statistics . the bypass lets air enter the air stream and currupts flow
Old 01-12-2005, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wrong. The difference is minimal, I didn't say there was no difference. You will not see the difference by the seat of your pants. Sure if you have a dyno, you may be able to see that huge 2-3 hp difference, but that equates to about a mouse fart in the 1/4 mile. Overall will still see a noticable gain from the CAI, valve or no valve.

Yo, hotbox05, I plan on looking you up when I move to Vacaville in April to do some work on my xB!

-Proto
Old 01-12-2005, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

oh but of course i am always up for makin money doin what i love.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member

I've had the Injen short ram on my box for about 13,000 miles with no problems. It rains an awful lot here in 'Bama. You will not have any water issues with the Injen. Plus, from the dyno tests I've seen, it makes more HP than all the others. You will notice the improvement in acceleration and it makes a throaty growl at wide open throttle. Adding an intake is the biggest single improvement you can make on this engine without going to a blower/turbo or nitrous. The factory header and exhaust flows pretty decent. Adding a cat back alone or header and cat back will not gain you as much HP as the intake will. I highly recommend the Injen short ram.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like fine advice. Check out the power hungry section for HP dyno results. Injen looks good.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ingen IS short ram is the way to go for an Xb. You get cool air from the bumper well, it doesnt sit too low, and no twisty turny piping. That said all intakes are pretty much the same... pretty