I think my xB is cursed..... updated June-20-2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default I think my xB is cursed..... updated June-20-2007

Alright so, here's the story..

My car was recently in a hit and run accident in the rear bumper and was fixed.

After I got my car, I went to get gas. Little did I know that the check engine light came on after the accident.

It turns out my gas cap was not capped tightly when I recapped it after the fuel stop, so I recapped to which I think was tight.

Check Engine light still came on and i remmeberd I had the scangauge II so i resetted the CEL light. For references, the codes were P-0441 and P0455.

A couple of days later, as I start up the engine the lights return. VSC Off and Check Engine light. Same code on the scangauge..

I brought my car in today to Melody Toyota here in San Bruno and told them my situation. They just called me back and said that "The gas cap was loose, so we tighted it back up and resetted the code so the CEL wouldn't come back on"

My question is, is the dealers OBD-II scanner clearing method better than the ScanGauge II of mine?

I'm already waiting for the CEL light to come back on and having to bring the car back in again..

Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My guess, they did the same thing that you did. If the light comes on again , get a new gas cap or at least a gasket.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 05CAMO
My guess, they did the same thing that you did. If the light comes on again , get a new gas cap or at least a gasket.
That's my guess too.. i think he was bs-ing me...
Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sometimes by putting a little grease on the gasket and screwing it back on , it stays clear. known more than a few mechanics to do it.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm, those pesky EVAP codes, i see numerous amounts of them everyweek due to loose gas caps, you can try replacing the gas cap, but if that doesnt fix it look under the car where the fuel filler neck is and see if there isnt a line off, and check the hole clamps too. make sure they are tight, is it still under warranty? if so let them deal with it, because i dout you have a $2,000 EVAP machine just sitting in your garage to smoke check the system, but since it was hit in the rear im betting that there is a line loose or possibly broken just give it a good check
Old 05-13-2007, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

went to another dealer on Thursday and found out that the accident cased the fuel neck going down to the fuel tank was causing the EVAP code to comeup every 3 days. The techs found this out by running the tests with the EVAP machine..

they'll get the part in this coming friday so i hope to finally put this to rest..
Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Good deal! Any new info on how the repair went?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

glad to hear they found the problem...it pays to be persistant ...I have read so many of the "gas cap loose" stories, I always triple check it when I fill up...lol
Old 06-14-2007, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here's an update..

So on May 18th, I brought back the car to the 2nd dealer to get a new fuel neck and gas cap. Picked it back up later in they day and drove it. They said they cleared the problem and so I thought all was good.

The following Monday, the light came back on with the same error code... p0441 and p0455.. brought it back in on Tuesday and told them the problem..

The ran some tests and found another leak... p0442.. They got the part in on May 25th and told me to bring it in again to get it fixed... This time though, they found my car was involved in an accident (not sure how they missed it the first time) but the service advisor was nice enough to change the fuel neck filter and gas cap for me one more time...

ANyways, after that fix, everything seemed fine.. and the following 2 weeks afterwards, I drove the car many times, but the CEL refuse to come on...

I was thinking of selling the xB, so I brought myself to putting the car back to stock..

Only thing I really have is the K&N Filter, a grill and a exhaust tip really.. So I swapped it back to stock and even took out my scangauge II.. thinking it was bringing it bad karma...

3 weeks go by and no CEL!! I was so happy that decided to keep the car.. and put the K&N filter back and the exhaust tip and grill..

However, since the last 3 weeks, I went to get gas 3 times and no CEL came on...

I got gas this last Friday (before deciding to put my car back to a modded state) and sure enough the CEL came back on..

Ran the scangauge and it came back with the same codes.. P0441 and P0455...

I'm just baffled as to whether I screwed up tighten the gas cap or was it the K&N drop in filter that is causing the problem...

Cliffnotes for those that dont want to read the whole story..

* Got screwed by 1 dealer
* Took it to a 2nd dealer
* Got the gas tank and gas cap replaced (under warranty)
* Week later, CEL light on, and got the fuel neck filter and gas cap replaced (under warranty)
* Dealer finds out car is in accident
* Ultra cool l33t service advisor
* Put my car back to stock to try to sell
* 3 weeks go by without CEL
* Put my car back to modded to keep
* CEL comes on last night

OROOOO??? @___@
Old 06-18-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ANother update:

Went to get gas at Costco on Sunday..

CELight came back on on Wednesday June. 12th. Went to reset it with the scangauge.

Tighted the Air filter box after putting in the K&N filter. CEL came on again this morning. (Monday)

Retightened gas cap.

Scangauge still in my car. Will update more as it goes...
Old 06-21-2007, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yet another update

Drove the car about 50 miles and CEL (same p0441 and p0455) code came back on this afternoon befoer taking off from work...

That's like less than 50 miles before it came on... I thinks i'm taking it into the autobody shop tomorrow...

My AAA claims rep told me that I should take it back into the autobody shop where I got it fixed originally and see what they can do about it...

I need to get this resolved asap! any suggestions on my recourse?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your story is crazy....definitely a persistant problem...I hope you can get this staightened out soon, would hate to see you trade it off and regret it later....
Old 06-21-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by xBster
Your story is crazy....definitely a persistant problem...I hope you can get this staightened out soon, would hate to see you trade it off and regret it later....
Thanks for the good gester xBster. I love the car a lot, and I can't really let go of it because it's still under the claim that i opened with AAA, so I'm heck bent on getting this fixed...

And happy birthday!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

One last time.. I stumbled upon an article on the web for a Toyota Echo and found out that the code could potentially come from an oiled filter... The K&N filter is oiled, so this morning, I put back the stock air filter and resetted the CEL...

Lets see if that fixed it.. next step would be to clean the MAF sensor.. i sure hope it was right..

For references, this is what I am looking at: http://www.msnusers.com/Sorensonbria...rcleaning.msnw
Old 06-24-2007, 04:53 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats a good diy site, i used that to clean my MAF a few times!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So my CEL came on again...

I have already replaced the gas cap with an aftermarket one from Kragen, and took off my scangauge.., but the light still came on..

Taking it back to the autobody shop and having it checked out again. Obviously, it's a problem out of the AutoBody's shops scope and it's something mechanical..

I'm going to leave the CEL light on and call up my Claims adjuster at AAA and see what kinda recourse i have on this...
Old 06-28-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

man o man..

good luck with that.. weird..almost like your box is possessed
Old 06-29-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its something the body shop messed up. if it was in the rear, make sure the lines to the charcoal canister is all hooked up with no kinks or cracks.

did they check that out?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

took it the auto body shop, but they did nothing but reset the CEL light..... worthless. they told me to bring it to the dealer because their was nothing they can do..? I'm going to call my claim's rep again and find out what is next when the CE light comes on (probably by Monday)

firesquare.. nnot sure if they checked the lines to the charcoal canister... but that's what I should ask because the P0441 and P0455 codes corespond to it?

Is that so?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Make a report of the shop with the Dept of Insurance, then another with the BBB, that may get their attention, for not assisting you with your problem. Its their responsibility to fix your car to "pre accident" condition....and that CEL wasnt on before the accident. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Sqeak on brotha!!!!