First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

I think they killed my car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I think they killed my car...

I was stopped at a red light last night. A 2012 Dodge Ram experienced complete brake failure and rear ended me so badly, it pushed my baby into the back of another truck. I've got a bad feeling they are going to total it. I was able to drive it home. The frame is still straight, but the outer body panels are bent in the rear. There is a slight transmission fluid leak from a cooling line. I really want my baby fixed if possible. But I know it is not looking good. This has been the best car I have ever owned. I wanted to be with it until it at least reached 400k miles. One year and a half ago, Toyota appraised it at $11,500. I doubt insurance will be so generous.

I am okay thankfully. But I am about to see a doctor about my neck injury. The impact was so hard, the glass from the rear reached the front dashboard.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  72.2 KB
Name:  004.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  57.1 KB
Name:  006.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  67.2 KB

And I just installed those new headlights last week too.

I kept this 2006 XB in mint condition for the past 6 years and took good care of her. It is like seeing my best friend in critical condition.

BTW, Dodge Ram has had brake issues and recalls for the last 10 years.

Thanks for any advice both car and legal related. I am going to need it. You all have been here for me since the day I drove my baby off the lot with 36 miles. It now has 129k miles.

Last edited by dgenem; 03-15-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Sorry to see that, man.
It's hard to say for sure, but based on the impact in the rear, I wouldn't be surprised if they totalled it out.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Always sad to hear things like this . Good luck and I wish you the best in your situation.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

looks like a total 2 to 3 times over.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I may have good news. I bought my car used with 39K miles. It was salvaged. My box was involved in a big rear end like yours, but the damage was more severe than what you have pictured. Luckily the previous owner worked at a body shop and was able to repair it. Now, the car looks like nothing ever touched it. He repaired it to perfection. You may get lucky of insurance is nice!

The previous owner gave me this picture of the damage from the incident. You can see the rear passenger door is completely tweaked. The front end received no damage though, presumably there was nobody in front of the PO at the time of the accident.

Name:  c95ddcc3.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  301.9 KB
Old 03-14-2012, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) do not post anything about potential lawsuits in a forum or anyplace else that can be traced... And everything can be traced.

2) I think your baby is repairable. xB's have surged in value because of excellent mpg ratings; insurance companies see those numbers too.

3) Be thankful you were not hurt worse. Many people in wrecks like yours end up with long-term pain and such....

4) I hope you are able to get baby fixed!! I really enjoy my box and hope to own it for some time; much like you.

Keep us posted !!

David
Old 03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would def. talk to a lawyer. ive seen people with LIFETIME injuries come from crashes like this. dodge may end up losing a ton of money if they keep having problems like this
Old 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like a total loss to me. Sorry to hear about this, but glad you're OK.

Don't worry about a lawsuit. Insurance will pay for your medical costs and allow you to buy a replacement. They should give you $11k if you have a recent appraisal from Toyota.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am watching my words regarding anything legal now. I do have a very good lawyer working on this.

The adjuster totaled it today.

What really hurts is I have pampered that car since it had 36 miles on it. Synthetic oil and tranny fluid. NGK iridium plugs. New stereo for full blue tooth support for safety. Regularly washed and FULL wax treatments. Awesome lights. In the last two weeks, I spent around $1k on it.

That car was the family's baby. It was in PRISTINE condition and ran as smooth as day 1. There were a lot of tears from us today.

I know it sounds stupid, it was just a car. I wanted to see her reach 400k miles.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default follow up

Hi,

If you want to keep the car and jump some hoops.... get some REAL estimates for full repair.

Then see what the insurance co is gonna offer, and if the numbers make sense, offer to buy it back and rehab the title, or whatever its called in your state.

People are doing just this dance more and more as car prices keep edging up. In fact my step-son recently bought a 2008 Prius that had been rehabbed....runs great still....exterior is not quite perfect if you look close, but he got the car for about half the typical 2008 Prius with 33,000 miles....

Just my two cents....
Old 03-15-2012, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ajcadoo
I may have good news. I bought my car used with 39K miles. It was salvaged. My box was involved in a big rear end like yours, but the damage was more severe than what you have pictured. Luckily the previous owner worked at a body shop and was able to repair it. Now, the car looks like nothing ever touched it. He repaired it to perfection. You may get lucky of insurance is nice!

The previous owner gave me this picture of the damage from the incident. You can see the rear passenger door is completely tweaked. The front end received no damage though, presumably there was nobody in front of the PO at the time of the accident.

I really needed that. It gives me hope that our baby will live on past this. I just wish the damn insurance company would restore her. I cannot thank you enough for letting me know this. I put so much of my life and love into that car. She was the family's baby.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgenem
I really needed that. It gives me hope that our baby will live on past this. I just wish the damn insurance company would restore her. I cannot thank you enough for letting me know this. I put so much of my life and love into that car. She was the family's baby.
Good luck!!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Glad your ok.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dsimp13
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Glad your ok.
Thanks. For one thing, I am convinced of this vehicle's safety. If it were not for the crumple zones, I could of been killed or a quadriplegic. She sacrificed herself to save me and only had 129k miles. May she R.I.P.

Now looking for the next XB. I salvaged the brand new projector lamps and HID kit, and stereo before they hauled my baby away to Scion heaven. Trying to decide between a 1st or 2nd gen Scion.

That car was the best I ever owned. The family and I want another one so badly. A very safe and reliable vehicle.

***EDIT*** Despite having the written estimate confirmed from Toyota, the adjuster only gave $6,900 for her. She said there was no such thing as the 2006.5 Scion XB and it was only a 2006!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgenem

***EDIT*** Despite having the written estimate confirmed from Toyota, the adjuster only gave $6,900 for her. She said there was no such thing as the 2006.5 Scion XB and it was only a 2006!!!
That sucks! Well, at least you got something. I would avoid the Gen2's. They are much more heavy on gas consumption. And obviously much more expensive.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive got both a 1st and 2nd gen and i like my 1st gen better. just an all around more fun car
Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05sciko
ive got both a 1st and 2nd gen and i like my 1st gen better. just an all around more fun car
I am browsing them both. Hard to find a good 1st gen around. I found an 05 that was overpriced, badly repainted, and had obvious signs of being in at least 1 or 2 serious accidents and missing panels. I saw a sweet 2008 Gold RS 5.0 with the works, but the guy sold it by the time I contacted him. >

What really bites is I am STILL waiting for the insurance company's payoff. They keep making little mistakes such as my name on the paperwork for the DMV (forgot what the document was called). So to date I have not received a dime except for a few days on a rental, that I now have to pay for.

I want another 2006 in good shape. I saw one of the RS with the torched penny color, but have not inspected it yet. At least I'd be able to still use the lights I salvaged.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 PM

1. The vehicle is definitely a total loss. I wouldn't recommend going through the hassle of repairing it as a salvage. There are cost associated that will not be covered by anyone aside from you IE: DMV and Police inspect, Smog and etc.

2. Don't necessarily go straight to an attorney. See what your doctor says first. Attorneys take anywhere from 25-50% of the settlement.

3. I ran 2-3 of these in the last year. If you're in California the value should range 7000-9000 if it is in good condition (which it looks like it is). Toyota appraising it does not have any validation unless they want to support proof of the valuation in an arbitration forum. If they do supply and try to back their valuation they will likely ask for $500 to have someone work it. If it was a verbal valuation it really means nothing.

I'd suggest you gather any invoices for work done to the vehicle in the last 20k miles and submit it if you're in a state where they run market valuations. If they go by book value (certain states do) then you are only entitled to whatever they give you and that is final.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck. Feel better. PM me if you have any questions I was in the insurance industry for quite some time.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, at least there is finally some happiness to this. Just got home with another Scion. A 2008 XB 5.0 Gold, #2425 of 2500. Not a good picture, just a quick picture of my wife and daughter we took as we drove it home from southern Florida. Daughter was tired and cranky from the long drive.

These are hard to grab. Chased 3 of them that were sold before I could buy them. I had to put down an immediate deposit to grab this one. Only 40k miles, complete maintenance record and perfect carfax report. It was recently inspected and certified by Toyota and Kia (Kia sold it to me). New tires, belt, and fluids. I miss my old baby, she was sacrificed to save me. I plan on keeping this one in mint condition until the Earth swallows it.

So I guess it's time for me to move to the 2nd generation forums.

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  64.4 KB