SL Member
Premium Member

Exmple A: Why this is a bad idea.

http://overboost.com/picture.asp?a=1254&i=IMG_5936.jpg

Example B:
http://overboost.com/picture.asp?a=1254&i=IMG_0740.jpg
Old 05-18-2004, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member

Even the person in the second row would be hurt if not killed.
Ok i read the story, and well... I dont understand, How this takes away from the safety of a thirdrow. No car has a trunk, and if a car is smashed into by another car at a high volume of speed, the likely-hood of injury and or death is great.
The crash seems like it actually hit so hard that it pushed the bottom portion of the rear into the rear of the drivers side wheel well.. And to my basic measurements, this is were the rear 3rd seat would actually be ending. Due to the fact the that im moving the second row up dramatically, and the second row as it sits now ends right before the rear wheel well.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

The story is on overboost.com, But it basically he had to stop on the freeway and something behind him didn't. but it shows how much it is designed to crumple at any rate. back seat people could have had a chance, a third row would have had none.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/scio...2F022093-T.jpg

And if you look through the pictures you will also see one of the side profile of the second row, As it is now it the back part comes to an end at the crease of the door, but in the cube, the back part comes to an end were the black coin compartment/handle thing is on the xb.

My point is, Is if the cube has 7 seats, so can the xb. and both would have basically the same safety. Because the 7 seats were built into, not built for.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah, those people in back would be sitting atop the gas tank. Just one more thing for you to think about.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member

Im sure the person sitting on it will blow up, but the person next to it wont... And what exactly are the chances of that happening?

Remember the toyota previa, or van, the engine was right beneathe the drivers seat. Did this pose a threat?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member

Just build the 3rd row rearward facing and start hanging out with more midgets (sorry...little people). Ever hear that song...Short people got...no reason..(etc.)...according to the song, you don't have to worry about rear end collisions in this case.

This was not in any way a serious post and anyone who was offended, and specifically short people, have my fullest apologies. Was kinda funny tho.....
Old 05-19-2004, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member

Hmmm, if you're THAT pressed to do it. The early to mid 90's Land Cruisers and Land Rover Discoveries used to have fold down seats in the rear, that came down from the sides of the interior. Brackets, reinforcement and seats, you could MAYBE do it. Then, then could fold up and you'd have some room available.

But, safety would still by my main concern.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

forget the third row seat... stretch it like this...

Old 05-19-2004, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Max2k
This ain't gon' work, you should just buy a mini van or a station wagon. I wouldn't even think of putting toddlers in that kind of situation.
Look at ur title or registration lately? ids ur box insured? it IS a station wagon....sry just being a dick

i think the rear facing seats would be best, like he sed just take out the tire and clear that whole area, there's another post around here somewhere about moving the spare tire under the car if u can move that black sensor box thinger....if u can get that done, then voila! ur in the money!

--Jeff
Old 05-19-2004, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by The Bilingual Gringo
Hmmm, if you're THAT pressed to do it. The early to mid 90's Land Cruisers and Land Rover Discoveries used to have fold down seats in the rear, that came down from the sides of the interior. Brackets, reinforcement and seats, you could MAYBE do it. Then, then could fold up and you'd have some room available.

Same problem as putting the spare on the door "jeep style", I don't think there's anything strong enough in there to attach them to
Old 05-19-2004, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Originally Posted by The Bilingual Gringo

Same problem as putting the spare on the door "jeep style", I don't think there's anything strong enough in there to attach them to
Very true, you'd have to go down to the structure of the car if you'd want to make sure you could even possibly get enough support, for the seats, let alone another ~60 pounds of some kid.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey go for it, when you're rear-ended by that SUV riding 18" higher than your rear bumber, and your child is smashed into a bloody pulp after the first 6 inches of clearence are crumpled in to reduce the impact, I'm sure the court will understand that it was "just their time to die", then it will be your time to face jail time for child endangerment, negligent manslaughter, and probably some other moving violations for such a mod. Then it will just "be your time" to be sodomised daily by your new roomates, but hey, you'd have enjoyed that cool third row back there... Or I can imagine your friend's face when you say, "sure the kid fits better back there, but I'm not stupid enough to risk their life in the back. That's where you sit..." I guess negligent homocide and being sued into oblivion still leaves your kids to visit dad in jail.

Seriously, saying it's ok to do because it's an occasional use and thus safer makes no sense. It's like saying, "why don't you sit on the hood today honey, just this one time, that makes it safe." Try moving the driver seat up to about 5 inches from the wheel, disable the airbag, and get in an accident to see how well a potential rear seat passenger might do. They'll become part of your crumple zone.

Sorry about ranting, but it's a lot of effort to make a gimmick that is also a death trap. Take 2 cars if you have 7 people. I'll get off my little soapbox now. :D
Old 06-02-2004, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member

Wouldnt it be easyer to mount a tailer hitch to the XB buy a small tailer and bolt a couch to it then you'll have room for 3 more
Old 06-02-2004, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by red
Or here's an idea...buy 2 Kia's and you can fit 10 people, and you save a bunch of money. You can graft them onto one another and make a long 8 wheel kia with dual engines and transmissions. It will run on cornnuts and the exhaust will smell like cotton candy, and you can press a button when you run out of gas...I mean cornnuts, and unicorns will fly down and pull it like a magical chariot, while Leprechauns navigate for you.

Bwa haa ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (cough cough) ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!.....
Old 06-02-2004, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default 3rd Row

They've already got a 3rd row seat vehicle, with great safety features and a V6 for under $20K. It's called a used minivan/SUV.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aren't your kids or your friends lives worth the $3,000 to $5,000. more you would spend getting something that will seat 7.

You know what, I think you should add the two/three seater in the back, make it face backwards, and then you should sit back there so that when some dumbass decides to rear-end you, you can watch it all happen. Wouldn't that be a fun nightmare!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member

Default silly seating for six

would it be possible to replace the front seats with a bench?