Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Injen GMP

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member

Default Injen GMP

I installed the injen intake over the weekend. After test driving it, I was very happy with its performance. It does make quite a difference when speeding uphill or just cruising only.

My BIG QUESTION is this: I have seen a few posting messages about getting Good Gas Mileage after installing the injen. I am not sure if this is true because by feeding more air to the engine, of which will help the engine breath better; however, it will need more fuel in order to deliver more requested power. How is that going to save fuel consumption ? To me, it is against the law of physics.

Does anyone have a logical explaination to this :?: There are a few with brains on this website. Please share your input. Thanks.

blumonde
Old 01-19-2004, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

more air does mean more gas, if you have a lead foot, but under normal driving more air means breathing is better to get the car up to speed, the faster you set the speed you want the less gas you use. you use more gas a wide open throttle. than you do just driving normally. i am not an expert though, so i may be wrong this is just what i think.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Normally it takes more gas when a aftermarket intake system is installed...

Why??

Because most of us enjoy the tone created by the intake so we always floor it!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Red Genie xB
Normally it takes more gas when a aftermarket intake system is installed...

Why??

Because most of us enjoy the tone created by the intake so we always floor it!
That makes a hell of alot of sense :twisted: :twisted: Lead foot syndrome.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have the injen when my wife drives most of a tank its 33mpg (4 more miles to the gallon more than stock) whne i drive most of a tack its around 27. lead foot syndrome is the only reasonable explination.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's the same idea as replacing your filter w/a better quality one....the engine gets the air easier, better air flow.
more air = more power, but also it is suppose to deliver air more efficiently.....just doesn't help if your flooring it all the time
Old 01-20-2004, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Injen intake + scion xB = 10 pound heavier right foot.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my take on the "more gas milage" with intake thing.

Cold air intakes take in (duh) cold air. This is more dense than warm air (warm air rises). Now, in the combustion chamber, you'll have the same volume of air, but the density allows it to better mix with fuel (which is electronically injected) and compressed at a higher rate over warm air.
This gives you more bang.
More bang gives you more power on the power stroke in turn propelling the car further forward than a warm air bang would do.

This also can explain why higher octane fuels will give you better gas milage. It isn't the amount, it's the power generated during the power stroke. Higher octanes burn more completely generating more power. Quality over quantity.

Air rams futher compress air. Bigger intakes allow more air flow aiding the intake. How much air can you fit in your combustion chamber?

That's my take on it all.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cameron

Cold air intakes take in (duh) cold air. This is more dense than warm air (warm air rises). Now, in the combustion chamber, you'll have the same volume of air, but the density allows it to better mix with fuel (which is electronically injected) and compressed at a higher rate over warm air.
This gives you more bang.
More bang gives you more power on the power stroke in turn propelling the car further forward than a warm air bang would do.

This also can explain why higher octane fuels will give you better gas milage. It isn't the amount, it's the power generated during the power stroke. Higher octanes burn more completely generating more power. Quality over quantity.

Air rams futher compress air. Bigger intakes allow more air flow aiding the intake. How much air can you fit in your combustion chamber?

Hi Camaron. So how is your AEM intake performance ? Does it actually save fuel or no. Does it give you 6hp or just 3hp. I think I am getting around 6hp on my Injen intake which I bought from this website. As for fuel consumption, I am getting 28mpg at most with the intake. What about you ?

blumonde
Old 03-29-2004, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

false
higher octane fuel simply takes more heat/pressure to ignite it.
in fact it often has less energy than lower octane fuel.

if you are finding better mileage with high octane gas, it is either due to additives in a particular brand, or simple that you are trying to measure differences too small to be accurately measured.

Old 03-29-2004, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jackmott
false
higher octane fuel simply takes more heat/pressure to ignite it.
in fact it often has less energy than lower octane fuel.

if you are finding better mileage with high octane gas, it is either due to additives in a particular brand, or simple that you are trying to measure differences too small to be accurately measured.

I agree -

I can't stand how gas stations label high octane fuel as "premium." It's a big marketing ploy. All of you who fall for it are just getting ripped off.

Higher octane fuel is more resistant to combustion under compression. Why would you want higher octane fuel then? It's so you can run higher compression. A lower octane fuel will ignite before the piston reaches TDC. You need the higher octane fuel to prolong the ignition.

You should lose as low of octane as possible so that your engine doesn't ping/knock. Don't waste your money. If you are finding better gas milage with higher octane fuel, it is probably because your lower octane gas dirty or your knock sensor is detecting knocks and playing with your timing.